Your favorite album by The Cult?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedBarchetta, Feb 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedBarchetta

RedBarchetta Active Member Thread Starter

I didn't find any thread on this forum about this, so I decided to make it.

Old Rusty, melstapler and Juggsnelson like this.
  2. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

"Sonic Temple" is the one I have...

3. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

1. Electric
    2. Love
    3. Sonic Temple

sunking101, George P, Sax-son and 2 others like this.
  4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Love. Fabulous stuff for me aged 13 when it came out.

vette442 likes this.
  5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Same here. From what I've read, it's the only one you need.

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Sonic Temple for me.

Love is their goth-rock higlight.

Electric very much an homage to AC/DC and the like with it's more streamlined approach.

Sonic Temple takes the best assets of those albums and to me it sounds like they really hit their stride here.

As far as I remember Ceremony was more of the same.

I'm not really familiar with their early work (Southern Death Cult included) and anything post-1991.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Love will always be my favorite but I love many of their albums; one of my favorite bands!

8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Love and Electric can't be dismissed.
    Great albums.

9. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Yep, I could maybe played it more.. It's not an album I can sing along to. :)

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"LOVE"...... obviously !

J_D__, Old Rusty, Canadacrowe and 2 others like this.
  11. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

Love. Hearing it via a buddy in 1985 blew my mind and I became an immediate fan.

I was quite disappointed in Electric and the change in their sound. I never understood the love for the album.

J_D__, vince and The Wilderbeest like this.
  12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Considering the quality of their most celebrated albums I can't help but feel disappointed in their career trajectory.
    The advent of grunge in particular could've steered their style in interesting directions, yet they decided to basically become meat 'n potatoes on Ceremony and a bit techno here and there afterwards without an obvious direction.
    I believe the lack of progress kinda did 'em in in the long run. Lots of promise, but not enough staying power to be mentioned along with the bigger names.
    When they were rolling they were friggin' awesome!

Joey The Lemur likes this.
  13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

My liking of the group diminishes as the time goes on - I loved Southern Death Cult, really liked Death Cult and was OK with the first couple of Cult albums before they seemed to turn into some American rock band.

So I voted for the debut.

Putrifiers II and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  14. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Dreamtime, followed very closely by Love. I sort of like Electric, but after that they totally lost me.

But my absolute favorite songs of theirs are non-album singles "Resurrection Joe" and "God's Zoo," the latter of course being when they were Death Cult.

Putrifiers II likes this.
  15. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

"Electric" is one of the best pure rock albums ever made. It still sounds fresh and fun 30 years later, and "Love" isn't that far behind. In fact, it may be even better but nothing to spoke this dumb 14-year-old quite like "Electric".

I thought "Sonic Temple" was a major disappointment when it came out but the songs work live and the arena approach that put me off then is now part of its charm.

"Ceremony" is kind of a dud for me. I want to like the self-titled one more than I do; it's good but I thought they were trying too hard to be all 1994-vintage edgy.

"Beyond Good and Evil" has some classics on it. "Born Into This" was a bit lacking in the songwriting department, I thought. "Choice of Weapon" is a pretty cool record that would have been even better if some of the bonus tracks had made the album proper. I know that "Hidden City" is fairly well-regarded but it never quite grabbed me.

Oh, and I forgot "Dreamtime". It's a promising debut with some very cool songs and "Spiritwalker" is one of their all-time greats but I do think that the subsequent two records were a vast improvement.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Sonic Temple is the one.

seed_drill likes this.
  17. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Love

As different sounding as REMs Murmur, back then. I bought those two and Sade's Diamond life all at the same time. They were the first breakaways from the music I listened to in high school. 1985 it was.

Old Rusty and Joey The Lemur like this.
  18. The Wilderbeest

The Wilderbeest Forum Resident

Love blew me away when it came out and it remains one of my all time faves....however, when 'electric' came out I was totally deflated. As someone else pointed out, it was like ac/dc, and a poor ac/dc at that. Sonic Temple rekindled my fire to some degree, but the damage was done!!! Time has softened my opinions somewhat, but a mild sense of disappointment still lingers.

Joey The Lemur likes this.
  19. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I like them a lot overall. Beyond Good and Evil is actually my favorite, though.

20. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

No way!! Electric is a must own! Although for a casual fan there are plenty of great comps.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  21. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

A very underrated album. I love the fact they still play Rise in concert these days.

Meyer and Terrapin Station like this.
  22. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Tough choice but probably Sonic Temple. It's between that, Electric and Love anyway. All three are classics in my eyes.

I really like the others too.

seed_drill likes this.
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Electric from this list, but my actual favorite is Live At The Lyceum which I first heard on the b-side of the Dreamtime cassette.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  24. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

I thought Sonic Temple sucked... Bob Rock just destroyed them..

Love and Electric are twin masterpieces...

25. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

The remastered Love from the box sounds really good if you haven't heard it.

[​IMG]

D.D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.