Your Favorite Amplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Panneauman, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Audio Note

The Audio Note Meishu 300B SET integrated gets my vote. When partnered with suitable speakers the power and clarity of this amp is stunning.

I own a Cary Audio 300B SET integrated which is quite exceptional also but the Audio Note takes things up a notch. Unfortunately that beast is twice as expensive.

Scott

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I have always been partial to the Pioneer Spec series although I've never owned them.

Attached Files:

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  3. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

It's interesting how the vast majority of the amps here are tube amps. :righton:

4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

You mean they pay you to take them ? :D

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Why? Everyone knows tube amp lovers love their amps. I want to get Quicksilver amps. I think I will love them. But I'm not going to buy them now.

6. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

oh ya.......once you get a good taste of tubes you will never go back. :agree:

7. endust4237

endust4237 Forum Resident

It is a power amp but with a very tricky digital volume control. So if your source has an XLR output you can connect it directly to the amp without a problem. I use it at the moment with a Danley SH 50 PA speaker and it is a match made in heaven. It shows amazing energy and dynamics and it is as smooth as my Audio Note P4, Neiro and Kageki amps were - but only when the music requires the smoothness. If the music needs drive, punch it has it - on a very lively and believable way. Really amazing amp. It is manufactured since 1996, and really surprising it was practically never mentioned in any of the hifi mags. I came from the triode tube world, built a 45 triode 1.5W amp 10 years ago and was using all sorts of tube amps mainly Audio Note since then, I had a quite rare Audio Note Kageki, an original Kondo amp, one of his very best. Then the AB class bipolar SS MC2 Audio MC1250 came and now it does not give me less emotion than the Kageki, but it gives it in a very different way. With the Danley SH 50 speakers if you have at least 40 sqm room, it is one of the musically most satisfying system I have ever owned. Strange world...

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Are you certain of that comparison? The best of the FMAs are very expensive and very good.

9. endust4237

endust4237 Forum Resident

I got a chance to briefly compare it to a FM Acosutics 411 stereo amp, which is a very much respected FMA amp. I did not say the MC1250 was "better", I said it is like an FMA. They were in the same league, at least for me of course. YMMV :)

10. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

I'm one that has left behind tube amps for an extraordinary solid state design from Italy.

Actually, getting best of both...and even more esp with far superior speed and controlled power for optimal bass without bloat/coloration. And amazing tonal midrange purity, top end extension and airy, open soundstage. The whole enchilada.

Very satisfied and never going back! Just different ways to skin the cat...so to speak.

11. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Any Jadis fan?

[​IMG]

12. Metralla

It certainly is. Just checking we were on the same page.

13. Metralla

Are you talking about Delta Sigma?

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

VinylRob likes this.
  15. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Have not heard that they are unreliable. :eek:

To me, their built quality is second to none.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

They had a really bad stretch of QC issues in the 90s. They fixed them however. Sadly Victor Goldstein shut down Fanfare, the importer. He is a character.

17. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Much as I like my MC30s and 60s, king of vintage tube amps for me so far is the "brown behemoth," the Harman-Kardon Citation II.

[​IMG]

The one pictured isn't mine (the pic is from Jim McShane's web site), but mine is just as nice. I like the way they look but many don't...sitting next to my gorgeous silver and black McIntosh MC30s and 60s, I believe the phrase my wife used to describe the Citation II was "butt ugly!" Hey, it's a workin' amp...

18. michael w

michael w New Member

Yep, even when they don't work...

:laugh:

Attached Files:

19. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

The FM Acoustics amps are amazing...that's my pick. If you can afford one of them, give them a shot.

Actually...I am the former owner of one. Long story. I still use their interconnects with my Bryston gear.

20. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

Geoff,
    Yes, Delta Sigma in northern Italy.

I recently visited them and was simply stunned hearing the first note of Peggy's "Fever" on their all-DS system. But everything sounded amazing with tremendous transparency and detail, jaw dropping dynamics that were fast, controlled and impactful and a real natural tonality with accuracy.

Great power supply design and the amps & linestage are flat to 3Mhz.

Very reassuring to see the first class parts and superb construction, too.

Overall, light years beyond any tube designs I've ever heard.

We will introduce the "North Pole" Special Edition integrated at CES. It uses the 3mhz boards from the linestage and amplifier with separate power supplies for each board in each channel - total of 4 PS. A Dual-Mono+ design. Rated at 150w/ch @ 8ohms with 2,000 peak power for the unrestrained, explosive dynamics. Stable to 0.2ohms and no special cables required due to ultra high bandwidth.

More info at http://www.tmhaudio.com/DeltaSigma.htm

21. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

Love my ASR Emitter II.

22. aviserated

aviserated New Member

Mcintosh is my favorite, but I cannot afford it yet. 2300 pre , 252 amp

My Denon sounds nice enough for now.

-

23. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I wish.....

24. UFObuster

UFObuster New Member

My fav....and I have it....the Rotel RB-1080. Not exotic, no tubes, but for simple design, form, function, and price....it can't be beat.

25. Stitch

Stitch Member

My favourite Amp

[​IMG]

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.