Your favorite CLINT EASTWOOD western ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Richard--W, Dec 8, 2016.

1. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Well-Known Member

I disagree. TGTBATU is a great movie for a number of reasons. It is also responsible for creating much of the film "vocabulary" that we take for granted in the years since it was made. The impeccable synthesis of music and image; the wide shots contrasted with the super tightly cropped close ups; the deconstruction of archetypes; the long build up without dialogue; all of these things were refined by Leone into what is the finest example of the mythical Western ever made.

The only issue I concede is the length. I suspect you have seen the extended version, which is not what Leone released nor is it how he envisioned it. There are good reasons why the content added in the extended version was left out in the theatrical release. Watch the film as Leone released it and I think you'll find it vastly improved.

2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Forum Resident

The Good The Bad and The Ugly and The Outlaw Josey Wales.

I love all his spaghetti Westerns even though I voted for Outlaw. It has aged well.

beat_truck and Grand_Ennui like this.
  3. yesstiles

yesstiles Forum Resident

That's how I reacted until I realized that the character we thought was a protagonist, was not. In fact, Eastwood's character is basically a demon or ghost come to exact revenge on the shameful citizens of Lago....soon to become Hell.

muffmasterh likes this.
  4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Painting It Black

I watched it last week in what has become an annual viewing and based upon my enjoyment of the individual characters and acting prowess, despite the billing, I've come to think of this as an Eli Wallach western. Not challenging the commonly held identity as a Clint movie but Eli is the main man for me.

At your first two sentences I had to shift my yes to the left to verify the avatar/name. Nope, that's not me. Sometimes one sees their own forgotten posts from years ago, and sometimes that freaks me out. :laugh:

GodShifter likes this.
  5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

That's one of best things about the character is that it's never fully explained as to who he is. Yeah, he could be the ghost of the Duncan, or family, or even just a "we rode together" scenario. It leaves it to our imagination.

He did the same thing with Pale Rider.

6. dmiller458

What the other star out there had made a lot of Westerns? And other thing, did he ever made a science-fiction film?

7. Yovra

Yovra Forum Enthusiast

John Wayne? Jack Palance?
    I think the most "SF" Clint did was 'Firefox'.....

8. Yovra

Yovra Forum Enthusiast

And Space Cowboys... and an uncredited role in "Tarantula"

9. dmiller458

No, I mean an actor that's out there now. We've had some recent westerns but I can't think of any actor that makes them on a regular basis.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

GB&U
    Unforgiven
    Josey Wales