Your Favorite Groups That Are Hard to Get Your Friends Into

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AidanB, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Try telling someone that Peter Tosh was the brightest star in the Wailers.

ianuaditis likes this.
  2. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Same here. I've even tried to use Dukes of Stratosphear as a gateway drug for Beach Boy and Beatle Fans but to no avail. Oh well. Their loss...

Picca likes this.
  3. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

Uriah Heep: The die-hard Zeppelin fans, power-metal enthusiasts, and hard rock fans I know either are can't tolerate David Byron's quasi-operatic vocal tendencies, dislike his voice as a whole, or scoff at their lyrics (which does admittedly vacillate between pompous high fantasy, basic rock themes, and typical ballad-fare). Their diversity with R&B, quasi-gospel, and ballad fare leaves the metal-heads unimpressed. Often, the responses are exceedingly negative ('Rolling Stone Magazine was completely justified in their early [excoriating] reviews of them', to paraphrase one friend), and some of them are die-hard Deep Purple and Wishbone Ash fans! In fact, only one other person I'm acquainted with has ever taken to them.

The Rolling Stones: Although young fans still flock to arenas to see the elder-statesmen in the flesh, I see almost nothing but confusion and disdain for the band from under-forty somethings. Younger Beatles fans, in my experience, generally spurn heavier rock or lyrical themes, and don't understand why they were ever placed on, or near, the same pedestal as John, Paul, George, and Ringo, and are more inclined toward the Fab Four's more stylistically similar contemporaries such as The Beach Boys, The Zombies, and The Kinks, along with modern indie groups, power-pop bands, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, ELP, et al. Mick's lyrics are considered off-putting, violent, and even misogynistic, and his relatively less melodious and unconventional voice doesn't help turn them over. Their present image as 'sell-outs' and 'geriatrics', to many youths, already establishes a preconceived negative connotation, so I think. Many people above-forty, I know, aren't particularly geared to The Stones, either, having either raised their banners for The Beatles' camp back in 'the day', or grew up in the '70s when Zeppelin, Queen, and Floyd, et al. ruled the roost.

Any 1950s rock-and-roll act: 'All that's just ancient', to paraphrase someone who otherwise likes music made less than ten years later. More primitive recording technology, along with the popular perception of the '50s as a decade of rigid dullards, prudes, and general pre-modernity, don't appeal to Generation Y.

David Bowie
    : Conversely, more socially-conservative millennials can't get beyond his androgyny, and his constant stylistic transformations distances those who like what they do hear from him. I've never met anyone young who has especially taken to his glam phase in person, either. However, almost everyone I know appreciates his artistry, and talent as a vocalist and songwriter.

T-Rex: Glam mixed with Bolan's seductively androgynous vocals, mixed with basic rock-and-roll arrangements spells utter distaste for my friends, and many older Americans I know mock Marc and the band as a rule.

Procol Harum: Actually, many of my friends have taken to their music, although they're the unlikeliest 'converts' (heavy metal fans, people generally disinclined toward 'classic rock'), while the seemingly likeliest (prog-fanatics, baroque-pop, British Invasion bands, classic R&B, et al.) are ambivalent toward their music, or find it 'boring'.

Jeff Beck Group: Responses to the 'Truth' album typically consist of a general lack of amazement, likely due to it having been used as the rough template for Led Zeppelin's sound, especially on their own debut. Rod Stewart's presence is polarising, Zeppelin fans chalk at any mention that it inspired Page, and Jeff's leads don't satiate the metal-heads in an age of neo-classical speedsters. My prog-head friends almost immediately chalk it off as simpleton blues-rock with proto-Zeppelin dressing.

The Yardbirds: I've heard that their sound and lyrics are too dated, that their recording quality is even more archaic (even from fans of The Kinks, whose early Pye material was also 'poorly recorded' from an audiophile perspective), and that their iconic trio of ace-guitarists don't satiate (save for Page if the listener is a 'Led head')...Keith Relf's voice is mocked almost across the board, especially from the Zeppelin/Plant fanatics.

Cream: Jack Bruce's voice is polarising, the Zeppelin fanatics can't help but to champion Plant and JPJ over Jack, Page over Clapton, and Bonham over Baker). Some also find their music dated and have a distaste for blues-rock jamming and unabashed, acid-rock psychedelia. Once again, Clapton's guitar-playing underwhelms most modern heavy rock fans. However, numerous friends have taken to their music, although almost everyone questions why I like them as much as I do.

4. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Manic Street Preachers

5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

preach on!

I can see the points of the 'con' argument, but Tosh is certainly an unheralded genius. Equal Rights is as good a record as Marley ever put out.

strummer101 likes this.
  6. YasDoDo

YasDoDo Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the Stones. As a first year uni student all my friends interested in classic rock are either Beatles fan or Bowie, Queen, Led Zep etc but it's almost impossible to get anyone into the Stones.

Classicolin likes this.
  7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Legendary Stardust Cowboy

8. Granadaland

Granadaland Forum Resident

I only really try and convert my wife to music I like as she is the one who has to put up with it.
    My biggest achievements so far are;
    Led Zeppelin - In My Time of Dying got her hooked.
    Bob Dylan - It's all over now baby blue did the trick.
    AC/DC - Back in Black album.

No joy yet with Floyd, Stones, Ryan Adams, Radiohead etc etc etc.
    Still get sneared at.

9. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I dont even bother.

I mean, I play in a country rock band.

Imagine the responses when I tell them I like Abba.

strummer101 likes this.
  10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It's very difficult to get people to like Bob Dylan. I think you come to like him independently, or not at all.

11. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

The Fall
    Any Dub Reggae

I remember trying to get my brother-in-law into the Smiths and the Replacements back in the 80s. He hated them both. Just recently he takes a bunch of Morrissey CDs out of the library and becomes a big fan. Sometimes I think people have to discover things on their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.