Your favorite "Live" guitar solos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

To the dude that mentioned Mr. Buck Dharma - THANK YOU!
    I'll leave out Jimi, Duane, Stevie Ray, and Buck - their stuff has been mentioned. One guy y'all need to hear is the late, great Rory Gallagher. "Irish Tour 74" is an absolute showcase for one of the greatest blues players who ever lived. "A Million Miles Away" still stuns me after nearly 30 years but pick any here, all are sick!
    For jazz fans, try "Byrd at the Gate" and "Live at Tsubo"; from the masters Charlie Byrd and the immortal Wes Montgomery.

2. Tawe

Tawe New Member

Jimi Hendrix: Band Of Gypsies, Machine Gun.

3. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

"Robin Trower (Procol Harum) - Conquistador (Edmonton 1972)"

This is an excellent "live" guitar solo, but it was played by Dave Ball; Robin Trower was no longer in the band when the "Live With The Edmonton Symphony Orchestra" LP was recorded.

Also, some of my favorite "live" guitar solos are courtesy of Peter Frampton, on Humble Pie's great "Rockin' The Fillmore" release; and also from Ted Turner and Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash on "Live Dates".

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

4. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Sound is decent. I only have a MP3->CDR. It has circulated under the title "Welcome To New York". There's a version of "Bye Bye Johnny" that could rouse the dead. Mick Taylor roars.

Meanwhile, back on topic:

From a legit Stones recording, "Sympathy" from LOVE YOU LIVE. A brilliant mess.
    Pete Townshend "Won't Get Fooled Again" from THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT. That version just destroys.
    Neil Young "Cortez The Killer" from WELD. So mournful and beautiful.
    Oingo Boingo "Change" from FAREWELL. A great, great live album.
    90% of the solos Jerry Garcia ever played.

5. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

My pick is Taylor on Sympathy(Yas Yas). I think it is second to none with regards to live guitar solos.

6. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

"Welcome to NY" the MSG is excellent - Now that I think of it Taylors lead on "Love In Vain" from this night is just killer!!1

7. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

Lots of great ones. I'll add the Carlos Santana solo on "Europa" from Moonflower.

8. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Clem Clemson, live "Lost Angeles" from Colosseum Live (70s).

9. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

Richard Thompson was mentioned earlier in the thread. The live versions of "Calvary Cross" and "Shoot Out The Lights" from the 3 CD "Watching The Dark" are two fine examples of his amazing guitar playing.

10. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

What he said... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.