Your Favorite Tom Hanks Films?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Standoffish, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey Thread Starter

You can select two...

905 likes this.
  2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Tough. Three of my favorite movies are on that list: That Thing You Do, Sleepless in Seattle and A League of Their Own. I also love the Toy Story films, Big, Cast Away, Turner and Hooch, Apollo 13, Joe Versus the Volcano, Saving Private Ryan (surprised that's not up there), You've Got Mail, Catch Me If You Can...the list goes on.

I just love Tom Hanks. An American treasure. He's an actor I can always trust. Such a likeable screen presence. I've seen some complain that he only plays heroes and good guys and he should stretch out to do something really villainous or strange, but I just don't think it would work. His presence is too warm and likeable. I'm happy for him to be the good guy. He's never let me down.

I voted for That Thing You Do (directing and acting, plus it's wonderful) and Sleepless in Seattle.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Bachelor Party!

5. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Cast Away
    Catch Me If You Can

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'd vote for Saving Private Ryan and the Toy Story films, but they aren't included in the poll. Beyond that, not a Hanks fan. His son even less so.

7. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Am I voting for the best movie that Tom Hanks was in or am I voting for my favorite role played by Tom Hanks in a movie??? Probably would answer differently depending...

While there is an "other" category, strange that Saving Private Ryan, Castaway, the Burbs, and others were left off the list?

Linger63 likes this.
  8. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey Thread Starter

Sorry for leaving off Saving Private Ryan and Cast Away. They should have been included, but I messed up :(.

Linger63 and conjotter like this.
  9. Timeless Classics

No worries... I'll put my vote in... Going with "Big" and "A League of Their Own." Tough choices!

10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

My favourite that he happens to be in is Cloud Atlas. I liked the book. I liked the movie.

carrick doone and Simon A like this.
  11. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I voted Road to Perdition as we have rarely seen him play a character on the wrong side of the Law and who is so conflicted because he must stop being who he is and abandon the Outfit in order to protect his son.

I also voted other for Sully as he's absolutely amazing in that film. What I see when I watch this film is a man in complete control of his craft.

I'll give three shout outs for Captain Philips, Cloud Atlas and Nothing In Common. Atlas is not a film I will watch often, but his performances in the love it or hate it film were stunning. I'll always gave a soft spot for Nothing In Common and I believe it's his best film from the 80's.

I think he just keeps getting better and better with time.

12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

We can't vote for 3?

13. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

NO Larry Crowne = NO legit poll!

vince likes this.
  14. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Remember The Man with One Red Shoe?

15. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

A League of Their Own and Apollo 13, with That Thing You Do! getting left out in that he's in it somewhat less than the other two.

Which reminds, if you've never seen Hanks' director's cut for That Thing You Do!, it's essential. It makes the film work in a completely different, and far better way, particularly for Mr. White.

16. helter

helter Forum Resident

Bosom Buddies

CDFanatic and ralphb like this.
  17. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Cast Away
    Cpt Phillips
    Forrest Gump
    Honorable mention to Ladykillers !

jlocke08 likes this.
  18. Timeless Classics

Let's not forget the Money Pit! I also think The Terminal is an underrated movie that I really enjoyed. One of my favorite Tom Hanks films.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Big" and "TTYD".

"A13" and "League" would be next in line.

In terms of screentime, though, "TTYD" and "League" are less "Tom Hanks movies" than the others. He's a supporting actor in those 2...

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

can't love them all...

What's your 2 favorite Tom Hanks films?
    1. Splash
    2. Big
    3. A League of Their Own
    4. Sleepless in Seattle
    5. Philadelphia
    6. Forrest Gump
    7. Apollo 13
    8. Toy Story Series
    9. That Thing You Do!
    10. The Green Mile
    11. Road to Perdition
    12. The Da Vinci Code
    13. Cloud Atlas

21. Michael

the only way to see TTYD!

22. Michael

I voted for them all..I'm bad.

Linger63 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

NO "The 'Burbs"= No legit poll!

I KNOW there are FANS here!

Robert Thomas likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Strongly disagree.

The Extended Cut has some interesting moments but it's waaaay too long for a movie like "TTYD", and very little of the added material tells us anything new.

From my review:

"The most significant changes in the story revolve around more of an emphasis on Tina as well as a stronger look at the relationship between Faye and Guy. In regard to the latter, I thought Tina was a superfluous character in the theatrical cut, so more of her isn’t better, especially since so much of the footage is redundant.

In the 1996 cut, we quickly figure out that Tina abandons Guy for her dentist. The extended version tacks on shot after shot of the pair together. Why? We already understand what happened; all these additional glimpses of them prove pointless.

Actually, I thought one change in dialogue meant that Tina would make a third act reappearance. When Faye talks to Mr. White about Tina in the theatrical cut, she tells him that Tina broke up with Guy to be with her dentist.

Here she doesn’t explain matters and simply says that they fizzled out for no known reason. Since we also see Tina’s awareness of the Wonders’ success in the longer edition, I figured this all set up a payoff for Tina in the end.

Nope – she eventually fades away, never to return. That just leaves us with all those extra shots of her that go nowhere.

I don’t think the additional material with Guy and Faye helps matters either. The theatrical cut more than adequately conveys how good they are with each other, so more of that footage proves unnecessary, as it just repeats information we already know.

A few interesting revelations appear. For one, Mr. White is gay, and for another, TBP bangs his Chantrelline girlfriend early in their relationship. Otherwise, not much in the way of new info crops up here.

The footage just tends to reiterate already-known information or throw out a few jokes. Those do tend to be funny, at least, especially when we see more of Lenny.

As a fan of Thing, I think it’s fun to check out all this cut footage. However, I don’t plan to watch the extended version of the film again.

The theatrical cut already drags a bit during its second half, and 147 minutes is a looooong running time for a light comedy like this. It’s cool that we can view the alternate Thing, but I strongly prefer the theatrical cut."

25. Oatsdad

Not me. "Burbs" is terrible! :hurl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.