Your favorite video game(s)?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by LeBon Bush, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love Thread Starter

If you can find it, try out XIII. A very underrated gem in gaming history which is based on a belgish comic series and has many visual elements rooted in printed comics. For example, if you land a head shot, a small 'window' pops up, showing the impact of the bullet accompanied by a word like BANG! or something like that. I'll link a video, don't know if this game could do it for you, but it's a fancy innovation on a dated game mechanic imo :)

Plus, the gunplay and visual style are priceless and timeless - you could easily release this game today and players would still love it.

PH416156 likes this.
  2. LeBon Bush

I've never been a huge soccer fan, BUT I always like a good soccer game. And those three are the best soccer games I've ever played, especially PES 6. Tried out newer versions as well as the more recent FIFA games, but none of them gave me the pleasure I had while playing championships in PES 6.

Jim B. likes this.
  3. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Civilization is tops - I've played I-III and the two Revolutions. I've probably logged the most hours in Civ Rev II as that's on my phone, but the first Civilization is tops in my book.

I still play a lot of Ice Hockey - Activision for the 2600. Sure I can destroy the computer at this point, but it's three mindless minutes.

Staying with hockey, I also play a lot of NHL 94 for Genesis. I'm terrible at it and struggle against any team with a decent goalie, but it's a nice way to blow off steam.

Centipede - arcade cabinet with the trackball. I can only get in the 15-18K score range, not impressive, but it's still fun.

Blood Bowl for the PC - it's the 90's version, not the more recent versions which I've yet to explore fully. Turn-based football with orcs and dwarves - I still crank it up on DOSBox on my Mac.

Timesplitters II - it's on a few platforms, but I have the PS2. It's a good quirky FPS with four player local action. It also has an easy to use map builder which seals the deal.

Warlords on the 2600 - my friends would still have four-player tournaments in the early 90's long after the Atari was a relic, which shows a good game is about design and not bells and whistles.

Journey for the PS3. Beautiful game, which doesn't require lightning-quick reflexes which I sorely lack as I get older.

War of Nerves! for the Odyssey. It's a simple game where you have to capture the other team's leader, but with the right opponent it could be a real challenge. I only wish there was a one player variation.

Battlefront - the original PS2 Star Wars game. Especially the Mos Eisley and both Bespin levels.

I know I'm forgetting a few, especially with the 2600 and PS2. And I have a bunch of last gen games downstairs like Bioshock and Fallout III which are just too time-consuming for me at the moment to dig into, but they have the potential to creep onto this list.

Mark

LeBon Bush likes this.
  4. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Fallout 3
    Fallout New Vegas
    Skyrim
    GTA 5

5. irong

irong Forum Resident

I grew up with NES/SNES so most of my favorite games are platformers/JRPG/shooters from that era: The Mario 2D platformers (SMB3, World, Yoshi's Island), Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Metroid, Castlevania 3...

The advent of 3D gaming was a huge letdown for me. Most early 3D games were ugly and played badly, with camera issues, and the 1rst person shooter genre with realistic violence became too ubiquitous to my tastes. I enventually bought a XBOX 360 at some point and found a few amazing games from that generation, like the Batman games or L.A. Noire. Mass Effect became a favorite series of mine. I also bought a Switch earlier this year and both Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are fantastic games.

Grunge Master likes this.
  6. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I have a PS4 and use to play a lot when my son was home, no only on rainy days or Mondays

But I'll name me favorites and the ones I played the most

Battlefield 4...big maps, close quarters, can fly Jets, Helicopters, ride in tanks and kill everyone in sight...what's not to like?

Dynasty Warriors...it's up to the 9th edition now, last I gotten were 8 & 8 Extreme Legends...what I like about it is all the characters in the Three Kingdoms were alive & well in Ancient China, part of the Wei, Wu & Sho Dynasty's.

Mortal Kombat...."Get Over Hereee"....Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Rayden....Love this series of games

NHL Hockey...My go to sports game. Hockey translate's well on the video game format....Basketball Suxs!

The Name of my last one slips my mine right now but I'm not going to omit it...going to search and find out the name cause I had a love and HATE relationship with it lol

Gregory Earl likes this.
  7. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

As far as arcades go, Donkey Kong and Berzerk have grown on me in the past few years.

8. LeBon Bush

Oh god, yes. I bought a N64 a few years ago only to find myself being held off by the ugly early 3D graphics, F1 World Grand Prix has aged especially badly. PS1 as well - the only early PS games I still play would be SoulBlade and SimCity 2000, simply because their 3D sequences were at least rendered more professional and pleasing than all the other ones. 3D only got interesting on home systems around '96, I'd say, with Resident Evil and Super Mario 64 already out and the advent of the modern 1st person shooter in the form of Quake, Duke3D and Heretic. Don't forget the excellent Tomb Raider and Grand Prix II, either. But before those? No, thanks!

(Of course I excluded Sega's excellent arcades, because Virtua Racing and Daytona USA were and are simply gorgeous 3D games that are already 25+ years old... but not on home systems. Anyone remember the Win 95 port of Daytona? God, that one was awful...)

9. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I was really close to putting Skyrim and Bioshock (both the first and the 3rd one) on my list. I played through it three times, and I imagine that there are still things that I didn't see.

andrewskyDE and bherbert like this.
  10. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Open world role playing games are by far my favourite :)

andrewskyDE and Grunge Master like this.
  11. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Listed as they come to mind (I'm listing the version that I play):
    • Cliffhanger (Arcade Game): A Dragon's Lair type game (used laserdiscs) that was better than Dragon's Lair. Had more controls (joy stick, plus a hand and foot button) that made for more of a challenge. Later, I discovered that the animation came from the movie Castle Of Cagliostro (a Lupin III movie).
    • Shadow Of Destiny (PS2 Game): An excellent time-travel game where your character gets killed at the beginning, then is wakes up somewhere else and is given the ability to undo his death...but it is more than that, he has to remove the root cause of his death. Often, solving the levels involves thinking in a non-conventional way (I got stuck at one level because I missed on detail that made all the difference).
    • Katamari Damacy (PS2 Game): Sleeper hit that I happened upon and decided to give it a try, and it turned out to be one of the most fun games I've played in a long time. Excellent music, easy-to-use controls, strange but funny story, and challenging levels. Although the subsequent games in the series are fun (and I'm currently playing We Love Katamari) but there's something about the original game.
    • Catherine (PS3 Game): In addition to a challenging game which involves climbing a tower of blocks, there's a compelling story that keeps you coming back to see what will happen next.
    • No One Can Stop Mr. Domino (PS1 Game): A seemingly simple game that involves leaving a trail of dominoes that you have to then tip over. The fun and challenge in this game is to set the dominoes so that they activate tricks and chain them together so that each one activates the next one, while only having a limited about of time and dominoes.
    • Taito Legends (PS2 Game): Not one game but a collection of 29 arcade video games, including some of my favorites like: Bubble Bobble, Phoenix, Super QIX, Zoo Keeper, and (I discovered it through this disc) The New Zealand Story. It also includes Space Invaders, Space Invaders Part 2, and Return Of The Invaders.

12. LeBon Bush

No matter how often I'll play through them, no other game has enrichened me spiritually and mpved me as deeply as did the Fallout games. 2, 3 and New Vegas are by far my favorites, all very, very dark with lots to explore and fantastic quests, rounded off by great soundtracks and some truly beautiful moments like that paradise-like settlement in F3 with the talking tree. It's a shame how mediocre Fallout 4 is in comparison.

andrewskyDE and bherbert like this.
  13. irong

irong Forum Resident

My father and I were huge fan of Grand Prix II - we even bought a steering wheel/pedals set to play it on PC. What a great game. This and Grand Prix Legends set some high standards for racing simulations.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Asteroids
    Galaga
    Space Invaders
    Pac Man
    Donky Kong
    Defender

Matt Richardson and skisdlimit like this.
  16. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

The Witcher 3 is my favorite. Just a perfect combination of story and gameplay.

17. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I sign onto FIFA 18 once in awhile but that's about it. I used to play Call of Duty but the quality of those have been going downhill for awhile. Then there's tons of people who camp say racist stuff over their microphone. I like playing the Forza Horizon games but since I beat the last one haven't played in awhile. Fallout 4 was a fun game but after I beat it, quit playing it. I "might" get Fallout 76 and Forza Horizon 4 when they come out. But for now I just sign on and play FIFA. It's a nice, pleasant, no pressure soccer game.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. Crysis and Doom 3 were pretty good too.
    now that I think about it, Starcraft and Warcraft 3 ...

19. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

RIDGE RACER!!!!!!!
    Dark Souls / Bloodborne
    Battlefield
    Cave shoot-em-ups
    Zelda
    Super Metroid
    Street Fighter (not V though)
    Occasional Gran Turismo Sport

I'd say top 3 games have been Super Metroid, Zelda OOT and Bloodborne

20. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Donkey Kong
    MicroLeague Baseball
    Dr J vs Larry Bird
    Tag Team Wrestling

Matt Richardson and RexKramer like this.
  21. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Wow, a blast from the past! I had go over my cousins' house to play it on their Commodore before getting a PC and playing it there. I still have a printout of the box score when I managed Sandy Koufax in a no-hitter over the 61 Yanks. From there I went to Earl Weaver, then Tony LaRussa (which is ultimately the game I should've listed above - I simmed an entire season only to lose Game 7 of the World Series). I had Baseball Mogul for some time and then went into an online Out of the Park League. We started at 1900 and, using real players along with star minor leaguers, Japanese players, and Negro leaguers, managed to get up to 1977 before it fizzled. Love historical baseball sims.

Mark

paulewalnutz likes this.
  22. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Yeah,I was addicted to that game.

23. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

24. Anyone play "Leisure Suit Larry" when it was first released? Very different game for its time.

Matt Richardson and nightstand68 like this.
  25. LeBon Bush

May I ask if you have a favorite incarnation of RR? Played through Type 4 earlier this year and absolutely loved it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.