Your favorite video game(s)?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by LeBon Bush, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I'm not much of a gamer because I'm old. I did have a NES, a Dreamcast & a Wii. Now I have the NES Classic. I like these game systems for the simple games (no gun shooting at people or violence). The games I like are:
    SEGA DREAMCAST - Re-Volt, Trickstyle, Crazy Taxi & Crazy Taxi 2
    NINTENDO NES - Yar's Revenge, Vegas Dreams, Monopoly, Super Mario 1 to 3, Bomberman
    NINTENDO WII - Super Mario 1 to 3, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort
    NINTENDO NES CLASSIC - Super Mario 1 to 3

LeBon Bush likes this.
  2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Going to be the first one, Ridge Racer on the original Playstation. I couldn't believe it was running on my TV. By today's standards its pretty bare bones, but I rinsed days of play out of it. Similarly Ridge Racer V on the Playstation 2 on Japanese launch, again just in awe of it.

Type 4 is great though, being critical over emotional ties, its the best put together. Also true of Ridge Racer 7 on the PS3.

To be honest the series took a dive as soon as nitros was introduced. The whole series though is crying out for a retrospective collection. If anyone wants to try a new RR game then it can only come from Namco Japan's internal team, Unbounded wasn't RR

LeBon Bush likes this.
  3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love Thread Starter

I felt like this as well - played Unbounded some time ago and I thought "this doesn't feel right". Before that, I had only known V on the PS2, that was much better. Gotta hunt down V and the first one now, thanks! Great games, shame I don't own 'em yet.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I was addicted to the Masterleague

LeBon Bush likes this.
  5. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I gotta say, I have to disagree that the late 90s was 'early PC'. PC gaming was a staple of the 1980s (albeit rudimentary by today's standards), and certainly from 1993 on, Doom made PC gaming explode.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  6. LeBon Bush

THAT'S what it was called! Yes! So addictive it's unbelievable.

7. LeBon Bush

And you could even argue strategy/building sim had exploded in '91, if not even earlier. Civilization came out in '91, I think, and along with SimCity it became pioneering for certain types of games that simply don't work the same on consoles (strategy games and town builders - those truly showed how important a good system is for certain types of games). Could be wrong though, I'm too young to have witnessed this - but I played many of those historical PC masterpieces.

8. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

So many good games. I'm just gonna mention one from every decade from 80's to present. The ones that come in mind. Choosing games not from same series example: different Zelda games. Choosing different platforms.

80's - River City Ransom (NES)
    90's - TMNT: Turtles In Time (Snes)
    00's - Zelda: The Windwaker (Gamecube)
    10's - Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
    (Various)

9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Just playing through another round of Diablo II. Just the fact the map changes with every character makes it such a better game than D3.

Livewire91 and PH416156 like this.
  10. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Unbounded was an abomination and Ridge Racer in name only. It was made by a different developer. They slapped the Ridge Racer name on the box to sucker in fans. It was a Burnout wannabe but it played like crap.

Ridge Racer 7, a launch title for the PS3 that ran in a smooth 60 frames per second, was glorious. Awesome game. Still holds up.
    Ridge Racer 6, a launch title for the Xbox 360, isn't quite as good, but is still a ton of fun.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Diablo II is a masterpiece.

One of the reasons why I kept my old PC and the 4:3 Trinitron monitor

Livewire91 and daglesj like this.
  12. englishbob

Forgot to mention, as someone who usually seeks out a decent racing game, the game that gets the crown for me is Ferrari F355 Challenge on the Dreamcast.

Also, the Dreamcast was the best console while it lasted and was better than the PS2. That VGA output, wow.

Spastica and PH416156 like this.
  13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Correct.

This is Shenmue on Dreamcast, one of the very best games ever. Stunning video quality, considering it's a 20years old game

Spastica, LeBon Bush and englishbob like this.
  14. englishbob

Yep, Dreamcast was incredible. Although the controller was a bit crap for some games.

F355 to me was the best racing game. The best computer racing A.I. ever, and the class leading proximity indicator at the top of the screen to prevent accidents. This was sadly lacking in 99.9% of racing games, especially when they went online. The latest Gran Turismo Sport has a implementation of it, called the Radar, but its no way as good as what this has. Keep trying devs!

Spastica likes this.
  15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I owned F355 and I liked it but best racing game ever? I don't think so. For one thing, the arcade cabinet was comprised of 3 monitors, so being locked into cockpit view was fine since you had two monitors to alleviate the narrow view. On Dreamcast you obviously had only one screen, so being locked into that view was an issue. They should have let you have the option of a chase cam in the home version. Plus the game was really slow and not very exciting.

But best racing game ever is so subjective. I'd be hard pressed to give a valid nomination myself. Plus there are so many kinds. Arcade racers, sim racers, driving sims. I have to admit I'm partial to arcade racers, but putting Burnout 3 up against something like Gran Turismo 4 seems a bit unfair.

16. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

the very first Gran Turismo was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had, brutally hard!

LeBon Bush likes this.
  17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Anything with 4x4 off-roading trucks in them.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  18. LeBon Bush

I suppose you liked Take2's 4x4 Evolution series as much as I did? :D

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've mentioned that I play GTA5 online. Something that has been somewhat 'illuminating' is the dialog between the players! I keep my mike turned off and the level of filth, racism, and out and out stupidity I'm hearing is borderline alarming! From ghetto dawgs, to rednecks, to Europeans who only know English swear words, white, black, middle eastern, male, female, old timers, youngsters, don't matter! Everybody's 'computer-brave' and completely uncensored. Things are said online that would NEVER be said face to face. Sadly, it makes me feel like this is kind of a 'snapshot' of the current mindset and it's truly spooky!

DiabloG likes this.
  20. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

I was playing online games from 2004 onwards and something happened in 2010 or so. Ever since then have players started acting more unmature each year passing. I quit online games 4 years ago because it was ridiculous whatever you played online. Might be the growth of youth in online games, i am not sure though.

DiabloG and Grunge Master like this.
  21. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I remember back when I used to play Call Of Duty games, it's was pretty bad. There would be little kids literally dropping F-bombs. It actually got to be pretty depressing.

Livewire91 likes this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. MikaelaArsenault

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm playing GTA IV again recently (on PC). But with IceEnhancer mod, which makes the game look less 'dark'.

Jim B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.