Your Favorite Vintage Receivers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tone, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

NICE!

2. w1jim

w1jim Member

I've a bunch of classic silver around here that I've recapped and restored - while I'm quite fond of the SX-1980 my favorite is the Sansui9 G-22000.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. coopmv

No doubt this Sansui weighs 60 lbs and made in Japan during the golden days of audio ... :righton:

4. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Definitely one of the finest and most sought after recievers ever made. It's beautiful.

5. w1jim

w1jim Member

Try 93 pounds!
    They split it into two sections.
    Amp and preamp-tuner, likely so they could ship it and to limit back damage.

6. eggov

eggov Active Member

wow that is a beauty i bet it sounds amazing

7. coopmv

This has got to be the heaviest receiver that was ever made! Ordinarily, only power amps weigh this much. LOL

8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Nope, the G-33000 weighed 116 pounds

9. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I picked up this fully restored Sansui 8 Deluxe from a friend of mine. I'm using it in the guest room system driving a pair of late 70's DCM Time Windows actually made by Steve Eberbach himself.

These photos were taken by my friend who sold it to me. I've cleaned it up further since then. It's a stunning example of a 1970's receiver and sounds amazing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and dhoffa85 like this.
  10. coopmv

This thing is heavier than most power amps. I have gone separates some thirty years ago and I will not have a power amp that weighs more than 70 lbs.

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The amp section weighs 71 pounds and the preamp weighs 45, and they go for very big bucks

12. coopmv

Is this receiver class A?

13. coopmv

14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I would assume, but I don't know for sure.

15. coopmv

It is not easy to find such info without spending a lot of time on the web. But given the weight, this receiver must have a king-sized transformer and massive heat sink, which are required for the receiver to run in class A.

16. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Yes they are class A. The whole series was.
    That opening bid better be for a recapped and aligned unit...I hope!

17. coopmv

So you put in the opening bid? Don't worry, I am not gonna to compete with you. :D

18. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

No way it was me...

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Thanks for the tip, I'm looking for a good pair of speakers to set up with my 1010. Still enjoying them?

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

My baby Pioneer SX-1010...probably needs a recap and cleaning of the pots. How much should something like that cost...

image.jpg

bluemooze and dhoffa85 like this.
  21. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I love my Marantz 2270. I use in my office on a daily basis. I bought it many years ago off eBay. The seller was a Marantz technician and he went through it. It was like new when I got it.

IMG_4326.jpg

22. w1jim

w1jim Member

That one is unrestored and has cosmetic issues and has been listed numerous times.
    $1600 for a working version is a good price - $2200 to $2500 is common.
    Also it has problems with one channel cutting out - likely in need of some deoxit on all the switches which requires a partial disassembly. The slide switch on the side to connect the pre to power amp likely could use some exercising.

23. coopmv

As much as there is much nostalgia surrounding these vintage receivers and I have a friend who has been searching high and low for the replacement laser for his first generation Yamaha CD player CD-1 (which is built like a tank compared to the craps made today) that he likes too much that he refuses to trash it, few of these receivers can really handle the CD dynamics real well. At any rate, these vintage receivers are perfectly fine for playing analog gears such as turntables, tape-decks and your favorite FM stations.

24. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Here's my fave vintage receiver: The Sansui QRX-9001:

[​IMG]

I still haven't been able to get one, but I do have its little brother, the QRX-6001 which I like very well.

bluemooze and reb like this.
  25. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

My Sansui G-4700 has no problems with CD dynamics, though I have found that brickwalled CDs really sound bad as it shows up all the flaws involved in that kind of mastering. A well-mastered CD is a joy to listen to on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.