Your favorite Yardbirds song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YardByrd, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world Thread Starter

Fairly self-explanatory... if "other" please say which one. All who take poll please tell when you first heard song and how it affected you. If more than one configuration recorded it - live or studio - say which version you prefer.

richierichie and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. YardByrd

Happenings for me... most advanced A-side ever... iconic riff... Beck imitating a police siren in solo as Page summons images in sound... lyrics about reincarnation to boot... McCarty says band was disappointed it only went to #30... I am amazed it went as high as it did considering how wacked out it is for '66!

3. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I resist naming a favorite anything, because it's impossible to choose between greatness, putting one song/album/musician above another. I just don't believe in doing that.

But I did cast a vote for "Happenings" simply because it's The Yardbirds' crowning achievement in harnessing every element that made them great (save Relf's harmonica). It's their most focused performance and one you don't really have to make any excuses for (e.g., apologizing for Relf's vocal or substandard recording). After the greatness of the Roger the Engineer album, this single was truly an even further leap forward.

I too heard this at the time of its release, after having lived with (on virtually a nightly basis) the Rave Up and Over Under Sideways Down albums. I was blown away; I think it took a few additional months and "Strawberry Fields Forever" before I had a similarly jaw-dropping reaction to a single.

5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Still I'm Sad.

6. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Stroll On, Evil Hearted You, Still I'm Sad, Certain Girl or their covers?

7. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

I selected "Other" = "What Do You Want?" The two Beck era US albums rarely left my turntable for long back then. I loved the tone of the guitars, Beck's subtle use of controlled feedback and jaw dropping, for it's time, outro solo.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  8. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I saw the Yardbirds at a Blues Festival in Sheffield, UK in 2016. yes there`s only Jim McCarty left playing drums but the guy has put a great band together. John Idan was the vocalist and he and his bandmates looked just liked they`d come through a timewarp from 1967. They were dressed right out of the trendy `60`s shops on Carnaby Street in London apart from Jim who just looked 60ish, only kidding the guy has a great band and they played 90% of the songs on that list above. Catch them if you can. :cool:

Edit: Song choice, `Mr You`re A Better Man Than I`, `B` side of `Shapes Of Things`, I was 16 when I first heard it on that single, couldn`t stop playing it, great song.

9. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Over Under Sideways Down was my first choice, with Mr. You're A Better Man Than I as a close second. Next level down for me would be I'm Not Talking, Train Kept a Rolling and Happenings Ten Years Time Ago. That said, there's lots of great stuff to choose from, and my choice is likely to vary depending on the day you ask me.

Crimson Witch and YardByrd like this.
  10. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

When time and tide have been.

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

heart full of soul
    for your love
    shapes of things

12. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Other > Evil Hearted You

First heard it when I bought "Remember...The Yardbirds" 12" vinyl
    (EMI/Starline) back in 1973.
    It was instantly my favourite track on that LP and has been my fav of theirs ever since, in fact one of the best songs of the *garage-rock (*inspired by Brit invasion) period as an influence on the former. I thought then that Clapton quitting was the best thing that ever happened to the group, since his departure brought Beck on board.
    There are just a few records that come as close to perfect as EHY. I know of no other Yardbirds recordings of it (except the post-Relf reunion line-ups).

vmajewsk and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  13. "Happenings..." for me, no question. And the live version from Cumular Limit is fantastic too.

"Dazed..." is maybe a close second, if for no other reason than historical importance (what it presages).

14. YardByrd

I dock EHY one point because I find the solo mimics the vocal melody too much... I expect Jeff to go somewhere unexpected like he does on Mister You're a Better Man Than I but he just doesn't... ymmv...

kevinsponge and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

:cool: heh ! .. I almost voted "Mister..." for this poll because of Beck's solo on that track ! .. so, Mr. gets my second vote fwiw. In the final critique tho, the solo
    on 'Evil' gets the edge (after the 7th note in the run), for its perfect combination of punch, inventiveness, and minimalistic aesthetic to complement the compendious and ornamental two-and-a-half-minute proto-psych masterpiece.

YardByrd likes this.
  16. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

Psycho Daisies for me!

17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

1. Over Under Sideways Down, 2. Happenings, 3. Still I'm Sad

18. YardByrd

Mister might be his greatest Yardies solo although I am drawn to his solo on the mono mix of Hot House as well...

Crimson Witch and MikeM like this.
  19. YardByrd

I shoulda posted poll choices Evil Hearted You, Still I'm Sad and Clapton's piece de resistance, I Ain't Got You... his solo on that is the equal of anything he did on the Beano LP

vmajewsk, Crimson Witch and humpf like this.
  20. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

"Happenings Ten Years Time Ago." A great proto-psychedelic song.

I bought the 45 when it came out, as I bought all Yardbirds singles at the time.

"The Nazz Are Blue" on the flip side. I could not believe my ears!

My runner-up is "Over Under," but I love almost all of those songs.

21. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Think About It. First heard it when I got the expanded CD of Little Games, early 90s, although I'd heard Aerosmith's cover a few years earlier.

Had owned most of their stuff back in the 70s, but didn't really rate much of it apart from Live Yardbirds, and that was mainly because of Jimmy Page & the LZ connection.

22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I voted Happenings Ten Years Time Ago but for me it’s a flat tie between that and Heart full of Soul

Muggles, Crimson Witch and YardByrd like this.
  23. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Heart Full Of Soul

It’s got everything:
    Killer memorable riff
    Great melody
    Catchy lyrics
    Singalong chorus
    Good background vocals

I can listen to this song repeatedly ...!

24. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Over Under Sideways Down

25. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Shapes of Things. First heard it on a cheap Spanish comp entitled "1966" that only contained hits from that year. Love its muddiness, its lyrics. And the Jim McCarty hi-hat fill before the second verse I still can't grasp. The Yardbirds were ahead of their time. The fact that Heart Full of Soul and Still I'm Sad came out in 1965 baffled me. Still does, really. They did many edgy, psychedelic proto-progressive things. Little Games is also a favorite. Need to get more CD's! (Only own Roger & Little Games).

The fact that they could also kick ass with the blues just adds to their appeal. I Wish You Would, the ascending rundown before the first repeated verse is just incredible. Just massive guitars.

Bruso, Crimson Witch and YardByrd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.