Your favouite Beatles cover tunes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

No, not "You've Really Got A Hold On Me", "Anna (Go To Him)", or "Money" but Beatles songs covered by other artists. :)

I've been meaning to post this thread for about 2 months but was busy with other things. Hopefully this will still get the traffic and exposure it would have gotten in the Music Corner.

I have an interest in Beatles cover tunes. The film soundtrack to "I Am Sam", the Beatles covers CD that accompanied an issue of "Uncut" 2 years ago, and the dusting off of my vinyl copy of "Sgt. Pepper Knew My Father" and the somewhat rare soundtrack to "All This And World War II" started me thinking about this thread. The Beatles are one band that has been covered many times with some great results.

I'm beginnig to work on some Beatles covers CDs. I would much appreciate some ideas and suggestions. The discs will stick mainly to "alt.rock, modern rock" genre, but you can list any cover you'd like. Thanks. :)

There is a song I am trying to track down: The Pretenders - "You Can't Do That". Apparently some time in around 1990 The Pretenders recorded the Beatles classic and released it as a b side or an extra track on a CD single? I don't know. I've never been able to find it running exhaustive searches in the old days, in Napster and IRC Undernet. I have never heard this version and would sure like to get a copy of it. It just seems like a great match.

Here are a few Beatles tunes that I like, covered by other artists, alphabetically, off the top of my head. :)

A B C D

A Day In The Life - The Fall
    A Hard Day's Night - Hoodoo Gurus :thumbsup:
    Across The Universe - Fiona Apple :thumbsup:
    And Your Bird Can Sing - Flamin' Groovies
    And Your Bird Can Sing - Gudalcanal Diary :thumbsup:
    And Your Bird Can Sing - The Jam
    Because - Elliot Smith
    Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite - Frank Sidebottom :laugh:
    At the end of the song, he starts doing an immitation of the run-off groove from side two and is abruptly told, "That's at the end of the other side of the album, not here". :laugh:
    Come Together - Areosmith
    Come Together - Soundgarden :thumbsup:
    Day Tripper - Yellow Magic Orchestra
    Dear Prudence - Siouxsie & The Banshees :thumbsup:
    Don't Let Me Down - Paul Weller

E F G H I

Eight Days A Week - Procol Harum
    Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey - Kristen Hersh :thumbsup:
    Every Little Thing - Yes
    Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight - Bee Gees
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun - World Party
    Here Comes The Sun - Richie Havens
    Help! - Claire Martin w/ Noel Gallagher :thumbsup:
    I Am The Walrus - Oasis :thumbsup:
    I Am The Walrus - Spooky Tooth
    I Call Your Name - The Mamas And Papas
    I Feel Fine - The Ventures
    I'll Be Back - Shawn Colvin :thumbsup:
    Shawn's performance of this at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival in 2001
    sent shivers down my spine.
    I Saw Her Standing There - Little Richard
    It's All Too Much - Yukihiro Takahashi (YMO)
    I Wanna Be Your Man - Rolling Stones (I like it better than The Beatles version) :thumbsup:
    I know this was supposedly written for the Stones, but I'd include it on a Beatles covers CD.
    It Won't Be Long - Red Kross :thumbsup:

J K L M N O P Q

Lady Madonna - Fats Domino
    Let It Be - Ferry Aid (I need to find this. hint hint)
    Lovely Rita - Michelle Shocked
    Magical Mystery Tour - Cheap Trick :thumbsup:
    Martha My Dear - World Party :thumbsup:
    Mother Nature's Son - Sheryl Crow :thumbsup:
    Mother Nature's Son - John Denver

R S T U V

Rain - Todd Rundgren
    Revolution - Billy Bragg :thumbsup:
    She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - Bee Gees
    She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - Joe Cocker
    She's Leaving Home - Bryan Ferry :thumbsup:
    Something - Frank Sinatra
    Strawberry Fields Forever - Peter Gabriel
    Strawberry Fields Forever - Todd Rundgren
    Tell Me Why - Beach Boys
    There's A Place - Flamin' Groovies
    There's A Place (performed live at EFMF 2000) - Greg Keelor (Blue Rodeo)
    Tomorrow Never Knows - 801/Phil Manzanera/Brian Eno :thumbsup:
    Tomorrow Never Knows - Monsoon
    Tomorrow Never Knows - Our Lady Peace
    Two Of Us - Aimee Mann / Michael Penn
    Ticket To Ride - Hüsker Dü :thumbsup:
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Kenny Rankin
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Jeff Healy w/ George Harrison
    With A Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker

Thanks. Have fun. :)

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

10 more not mentioned above:

"The Fool on the Hill" -- Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
    "Honey Pie" -- Earl of Cricklewood
    "Got to Get You Into My Life" -- Earth, Wind & Fire
    "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party" -- Roseanne Cash
    "If I Needed Someone" -- The Hollies
    "Lady Madonna" -- Fats Domino
    "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" -- Elton John
    "Ticket to Ride" -- Carpenters
    "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?" -- Lowell Fulson
    "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" -- The Silkie

3. tim_neely

Are you sure you aren't thinking of "Not a Second Time"? The Pretenders did that song as the B-side of "Never Do That," issued in 1990. It was on various UK vinyl singles and CD singles with that song as the lead track.

4. Chris R

Re: Re: Your favouite Beatles cover tunes

Tim, maybe that is why I cannot find this song. I stumbled across a Web page about 3 years ago, with a list of Beatles songs covered by other artists, and it listed The Pretenders - You Can't Do That. I believe it was listed as a 1990 release date. The World Wide Web is so full of misinformation.

Is it a decent cover? I'll have to find it now.

Thanks!

p.s. Fats Domino is on my list. :)

5. tim_neely

Re: Re: Re: Your favouite Beatles cover tunes

So it is! :laugh: I actually heard his version on the radio about a month ago, during a Beatles tribute weekend on a nearby oldies station. I was amazed!

Fats also did a good version of "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey."

I don't know if the Pretenders' version is any good -- I found the info on a comprehensive Pretenders discography site when I looked up singles from around 1990. Evidently, they also performed "Don't Let Me Down" in concert, but it's only appeared on bootleg.

6. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett (great version!)
    I Want To Hold Your Hand - Grant Green

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I like the Alison Krauss version of "I Will"

I don't mind the recent Musiq cover of "Something", but I have a feeling it could be even better if edited down to 3 minutes or so.

Regards,

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Beatles' cover?

QUAGMIRE doing the Beatles' cover of Dizzy Miss Lizzy with yours truly on Vox organ and lead vocal.

Oh, I thought you said WORST Beatles' cover! :D

9. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

I love Joe Louis Walker's version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps from the
    "Blues White Album".

10. Chris R

:laugh:

Do you have a 30 second mp3 sample that we can hear? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

11. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

From Me To You - - Del Shannon '63 #77 (A Beatle cover before most of us knew who the Beatles were ...)
    Eleanor Rigby - - Ray Charles '68 #35

12. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

"In my life" - Johnny Cash

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not on yer life, pal!

14. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

What? No mention of Phish doing the whole White Album in concert??!! Wait til Strange Design sees this. Phish did a couple of cool versions of White ALbum songs in concert, although which ones they were escapes my mind right now.
    I also have a cd called Reloader that is all Beatles covers. It features a take off of the Revolver cover. I havent listened to it in years, so it must not be that great. It features bands such as Koz Mick, Dork, Trained Monkey, The Jesus Factory, Paper Parrot, Jolly Bounce, and Guru Brian. I am not making any of this up. I never heard of any of these bands. It was put out on the Dressed To Kill label and distributed by BMG. It says made in England.
    Really, the only cover I ever really cared for is the Joe Cocker With A Little Help From My Friends. Most of the others range from not very good to awful. How do you top the Beatles at their own game? I even prefer the version of Roll Over Beethoven by The Beatles. Not that I dont like the original version, I am just used to The Beatles version. The I Am Sam soundtrack has some good covers on it, the only one I really dont like is the Nick Cave Let It Be.

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I can think of a lot -- it might be tougher to think of a Beatles tune that hasn't been covered by a recognizable artist -- but only these meet your modern rock criteria.

Cheap Trick - "Day Tripper" from FOUND ALL THE PARTS

U2 - "Helter Skelter" from RATTLE & HUM

I seem to remember another Cheap Trick Beatles cover, "Magical Mystery Tour."

And there's McLEMORE AVENUE by Booker T & the MGs, an entire album of Beatles covers.

16. Chris R

Thanks. I totally forgot about Booker T. It's been years since I heard it. That also reminds me of George Benson - The Other SIde Of Abbey Road.

p.s.s. Magical Mystery Tour by Cheap Trick is on my list. :)

17. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Just a few:

Carla Thomas: Yesterday
    Judy Collins: In My Life
    Johny Cash: In My Life
    Marianne Faithfull: Yesterday
    Siouxsie & The Banshees: Dear Prudence
    Richie Havens: Here Comes The Sun
    Joe Cocker: With A Little Help From My Friends
    Otis: Day Tripper
    Del Shannon: From Me To You
    David & Jonathan: Michelle
    Bud Shank: Michelle
    Mamas & Papas: I Call Your Name
    Alison Kruass & Union Station: I Will
    Vanilla Fudge: Ticket To Ride:rolleyes: :D

ED:cool:

18. Chris R

Some interesting adds Ed. I've never heard the Alison Krauss version of I Will. I will (no pun intended) have to seek it out. You're the second person to mention Del Shannon. I'll have to try and find that one as well. Thanks.

BTW, Siouxsie, Joe Cocker, Richie Havens and Mamas & Papas are on my original list. :)

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Completely agree with this one - he brings a depth of emotion to this wonderful song that is chilling.

I saw Jeff Beck at Concord Pavilion a couple of years ago, and he did his interpretation of "A Day In The Life", which he recorded for a George Martin tribute record. This was a truly stunning musical moment for me.

Regards,
    Geoff

20. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

May I indulge in a bit of parochialism here and name some versions done by Australian bands that I like.

Dear Prudence - Doug Parkinson In Focus (1969)
    Virtually note for note copy of original except singer Parkinson has a very gruff muscular voice.

Eleanor Rigby - Zoot (1970)
    In complete contrast to the above,it is a heavy rock reworking with pounding drum intro, crashing guitar chords and feedback.

Tomorrow Never Knows - Blackfeather (1971)
    Another drastic reworking done live in a TV studio,starts off slow with bass and vocal and when guitarist stomps on fuzzbox all hell breaks loose.Nothing like the Beatles.

21. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Anyone else familiar with a UK CD from 1991 called:

"Revolution No 9: A Tribute To The Beatles In Aid Of Cambodia"

Billy Bragg, Paul Weller and several lesser known British (presumably) artists.

It even has a cover of the Rutles' I Must Be In Love...... a tribute to a tribute!

22. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

William Shatner - "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"

It is toxicating.

-Mr.T-

23. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

I was expecting this. :laugh: Welcome Mr. T! :cool:

24. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Whitesnake did well with "Day Tripper"
    Zappa's Beatles medley is golden, never released officially. :realmad:

25. tim_neely

One I thought was pretty clever was a 45 called "You Know My Name (Look Up My Number)," with each segment performed by a different band... It came out on Vital Music in the 1990s, and the other side was the even more hilarious "Tommy (In Seven Minutes)," the Who's entire rock opera compressed into tiny segments, with each part played by a different band!

The performers who appeared on one or the other side were Alice Donut, Artless, Dave The Spazz, Dogbowl, Fly Ashtray, Iron Prostate, John S. Hall, Lunachicks, Pig Pen, Rats Of Unusual Size, Sea Monkeys, Smack Dab, Uncle Wiggly, Workdogs and Youth Gone Mad. The finale of the Tommy side was done by an ad hoc group called "The See Me, Feel Me Orchestra."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.