Your favourite Ace Records (UK) releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

One of my favorites! I also picked up a George Jackson on CD and Dan Penn-The Fame Recordings on 2LP red vinyl.

bibijeebies likes this.
  2. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I'm now a huge fan of the "Chartbusters USA" series- hits from the mid to late 60s, in some of the best sound I've ever heard on these well known tracks

Willowman likes this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love this old NME cassette:

[​IMG]

bibijeebies and Man at C&A like this.
  4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Have anyone heard their Damned 2xLP The Black Album from last year? From what I've read their vinyl pressings are usually very good.

5. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unearthed

Ordered this one the other day. I had overlooked it until recently because I figured it existed mainly for the sake of Apple fanatics who would naturally want any Jackie Lomax material on the market. As it turns out, The Undertakers were the hardest-rocking band to emerge from Liverpool during the British Invasion. One of those instant-party discs for sure.

melstapler and John B Good like this.
  6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

7. GodBlessTinyTim

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    ClausH, melstapler, dirtymac and 4 others like this.
  8. GodBlessTinyTim

Dig Everything! - The Early Rounder Albums

Coming soon: Barrence Whitfield & The Savages' first two Rounder albums. These tracks have more of an 80's sound than their fantastic debut because of the pronounced drum sound (especially on "Livin' Proof" which border on Huey Lewis territory), but still good stuff for lovers of frantic rock 'n' roll.

art likes this.
  9. John B Good

I like the French Chic Girl cds from the last few years. I also got the Italian Ciao Bella! disk and see Ace is planning on a Spanish girl singer cd in the near future.

10. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Amazing how circular the music world can be. Back in the day, WNYU had a monday night show called "Mod Mondays", 90min of 60's garage, soul and psych. I had an appreciation for vintage soul having grown up in the NY area, and listening to WCBS FM with my father. WCBS FM was among the first all oldies format stations. Anyway Mod Mondays featured many obscure soul tunes....really far beyond the usual Motown, Otis, Sam and Dave playlist. I was introduced to the Esquires, Irma Thomas, and Cliff Noble among others. They began to feature some of the compilations put out by Ace, which I then sought out. Through these compilations, I learned about Northern Soul, and in turn coming back to US soul. In a way I had to figuratively go overseas to learn more about musical history in my country. Those original compilations (For Dancers Only, The Class of '66, Soul Stompers, and on and on) were phenomenal. Excellent quality as they were able to secure original master tapes in many cases, and when tapes were not available, very clean needle drops from extant 45's owned by collectors. Wonder if they would bring them back as twofers, or make the compilations available for streaming.

stefane and Hep Alien like this.
  11. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

As a Merseybeat fan I have to go with The Liverbirds and The Undertakers releases.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also really like their Zombie releases as well as their Songwriter & Producer series.

JoeOnWheels and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  12. GodBlessTinyTim

[​IMG]

What a voice she had! Just too bad the CD only features nine of her fifteen Chess B-sides even though it could fit several more.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Currently listening to Love Hit Me! - Decca Beat Girls. Fantastic! I love this kind of thing.

I remember reading an article about master tapes back in the early 90s, probably in Vox magazine. It said that Decca used to offer long unused master tapes back to the artist and if they didn't want them then they were thrown out. Twinkle didn't want hers as she was embarrassed by her singing days so her master tapes were skipped. A real shame as Decca material was often very well recorded but on this disc Poor Old Johnny by Twinkle is a needledrop from a worn and distorted record. Some of the other tracks are needledrops too.

The music is great on this though. Such a shame record labels thought and acted this way.

DirkM likes this.
  14. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Yep. Love that one.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  15. John22

John22 Forum Resident

But too many stereo versions of the songs and not the original mono versions. Same with "The Hit List: 24 Hot 100 American Chartbusters Of The 70" and "Hit List 2 - More Hot 100 Chartbusters Of The 70s".

John B Good likes this.
  16. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I have the following cds from Ace Records:

Willy DeVille - In New Orleans
    Willy DeVille - Backstreets Of Desire
    Willy DeVille - Live In Paris And New York
    The Laurie Records Story Vol. 1 (CDCHD 933 - reissued and revamped from 2003 not the originally version from 1990)
    Staple Singers - Ultimate Staple Singers 1955-1984
    Candi Staton - Evidence - Complete Fame Records

melstapler, Hep Alien and Man at C&A like this.
  17. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

• The Etiquette Records sweep: Albums and comps by The Sonics and The Wailers, plus Required Etiquette (a great look into one shot 45 tracks plus rare mixes of familiar Etiquette tunes)
    • The Bobby Fuller Four Mustang/Del-Fi Records material
    • Charlie Feathers/Mac Curtis King Records material (some of the greatest rockabilly music that didn't say Sun Records on the label)
    • Wanda Jackson Queen of Rockabilly set

18. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

The London American series & the 3 CD American 60's Chartbusters set.

Chris C likes this.
  19. GodBlessTinyTim

Just got this one. What an amazing voice! I only wish she'd arrived at Muscle Shoals a few years earlier when southern soul was at its peak so she could have benefited from a better assortment of songwriters and players.

John22 and Fender Relic like this.
  20. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

One of the favorite comps of my entire collection. I went out and got all her Fame LP's after hearing this and they are a bit less harsh on the high end. Still, Evidence is a must have digital package.

GodBlessTinyTim and melstapler like this.
  21. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

If you enjoy Louisiana rhythm and blues, Cookie & His Cupcakes (aka Cookie And The Cupcakes) were a great band and the comprehensive "Kings Of Swamp Pop" 1CD compilation released by Ace is very enjoyable from start to finish. The CD contains a whopping 30 tracks recorded between 1956-64 and is far superior to the compilations released by other labels. The informative booklet sheds light on the backstory of the band and the contributions made by vocalist Huey "Cookie" Thierry and vocalist/saxophonist Shelton Dunaway.
    [​IMG]

22. melstapler

Cookie & Shelton performing a special reunion concert with the Cupcakes in 1993

GodBlessTinyTim and john hp like this.
  23. melstapler

'Mathilda' was a hit recorded by Cookie and His Cupcakes and is also included on the 1CD comp released by Ace.

24. John B Good

I need to consider that, especially if it has different tracks? I had the original, and recall it seemed like they forgot to turn up the volume a tad.

25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Anything bearing the Globestyle imprint, especially the sub-label Accordions That Shook The World.