Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think, based on the above, you at least need the Carter Family box. You should open up the valve a little, just for a start. You can always buy 100 more Bear Family boxes later to get going.

Wallets should be thin. Both so you look attractive to the ladies and unattractive to the pickpockets.

If you still want a fat wallet, keep your Bear Family want list in the place where you used to keep your cash

2. LST7006

LST7006 Forum Resident

American Dream - Ricky Nelson ! James Burton, EVERYWHERE !

3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

With this email I received today, it seems clear the Bear Family Boxes are near the end:

"The Bear Family Box Sets campaign comes to an end soon!

Our Box Sets campaign continues only till October the 8th!

Unbelievable prices for high value box sets such as the Louis Jordan-box for instance (BCD 15557) containing 215 tracks on 9 CDs and a 47-page book. The box covers the first and most successful half of the swinging R&B King's career.

Bear Family box sets are bright monumental works with an increasing value and won't be available forever! Start to bridge the gaps in your private collection – and don't forget, Christmas is waiting in the wings!

Now play on this campaign as long as it's still running!"

Sad Times :shake:

4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you sure it doesn't just refer to the 20% off sale ending October 8th? The "won't be available forever" bit is pretty ominous though.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Kevin55 likes this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

Gosh! I do hope your right Mr Tim, I really do! :agree:

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That appears to be the case. Just their 20% off sale. Some prices are competitive.

7. I think you are reading way too much into ad copy designed to boost sales. Many Bear Family boxes have gone out of print without the company folding.

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Does anyone here have:

1. James Talley - The Road to Torreon BOX: Is the book hardcover or soft? Is it only photographs, or text as well as photographs?

2. 20 Years of Bear Family 1975-1995 BOX: What is the discography portion of the book like? How does it compare to the books for the 30 year and 40 year anniversaries? (I believe it is softcover, but more interested in the books discography) Of the three CDs in English, can you estimate how many are unique new recordings?

9. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I'll let you know on the Talley when it arrives, got it on their 20% deal.

10. AndyK235

AndyK235 Forum Resident

Rick Nelson, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated rock stars. He never gets the kind of respect that Buddy Holly, for example, gets. "I'm Walkin'" and "Hello Mary Lou" are two of the best records from that era.

The Killer and LST7006 like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

While I agree with you, I will at least say that he was among the most popular artists of his era. So at least he got well deserved attention. It didn't come just from the TV show. It came from who he was and what he did.

I absolutely love him as a romantic ballad singer, above all. His R&B/rock & roll was good too.

It is sad that he could not enjoy the applause and acclaim that a senior artist might receive. He would only be 77 today (a tad older than Dylan) and perhaps touring to cheers around the world.

The Killer and LST7006 like this.
  12. AndyK235

AndyK235 Forum Resident

I understand that he was popular and sold records in his day, but he rarely gets the recognition today that he deserves for his music that others with comparable talent might get.

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The unfortunate truth is that in contemporary culture hardly anyone from another time, regardless of talent, genius or accomplishment, gets much recognition.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

How many people today know a thing about the most frequently recorded singer of all time, Henry Burr? He made 12,000 different records.

[​IMG]

15. Rick Bartlett

I have never heard of him, how terrible is that?
    Thanks for bringing it up, I will investigate, very interesting!

16. AndyK235

AndyK235 Forum Resident

I have to confess I am not familiar with his music at all, at least as far as I know. I am going to look him up. Perhaps I might have heard a recording. The name doesn't even seem familiar. Wow.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Your great grandmother, or maybe your great great grandmother, knew his voice. He was singing the songs that were the rage of his time. Mostly sentimental. In fact, today I saw small piles of his 78s at a few garage sales. He recorded songs as a full time job. Tiny Tim frequently played Burr songs on stage.

18. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Superb choice!

20. rod

rod Senior Member

He "covered" an Elvis song in 1927.

Here's a good sampler of his recordings from 1903-1928: Henry Burr Anthology

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Mr. H and Tribute like this.
  21. rod

rod Senior Member

I have the 20 Years box.

Disc 1 is new (1995) recordings of songs with "bear" in the title. Disc 2 and 3 are collections of old recordings of songs with "bear" or "bare" in the title (disc 2 all English language, disc 3 all German language). Disc 4 is a reissue of a 1985 10th anniversary live concert LP featuring people who recorded for Bear Family.

The box includes a 96 page soft cover book. There is no discography. The first 32 pages are history of the company and mini-biographies (with photos) of the employees and "contributors" to the company. The next 12 pages are lists "personal favorites" of random people. Then 28 pages about the performers who recorded new songs for disc 1 of the collection. The remaining pages are old photos of the performers of the reissued tracks on discs 2 and 3, the cover of the original LP reissued on disc 4 and clippings of reviews of Bear Family releases.

I bought this back when it was a new release. 22 years later it's interesting to look back. They were promoting Bear Family's current artist roster with disc 1 and the part of the book about the performers (with booking information). Disc 4 was a look back at the artists recording for Bear Family in 1985. Discs 2 and 3 were a sampler of their reissue records. The emphasis was on the artists actively recording for the label, not the reissue side of the company.

It's a little depressing to see how many people who were active in 1995 are no longer living.

The out of print 25th Anniversary single disc of new recordings - Bärenstock - Bear Essentials BCD 17012 is similar to disc 1 of this collection in digipack with 80 page booklet (Various - Bärenstark - Bear Essentials).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Tribute likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Thanks! I'm trying to control my purchases since my wife said she would rather waste money on hotel rooms than spend it on something that lasts like a Bear Family box.

I'd rather sleep in the car and order a Bear Family box in the morning.

23. Rick Bartlett

Oh wow! I've found another man who understands me too! I hear ya brother! Loud and Clear!!

24. Rick Bartlett

I go without many luxuries, even to the point of living off a loaf of bread and a bag of potatoes just to finance my music addiction.
    I never go out for tea or spend money on great food, that's how much I'm happy to 'live in the gutter'.

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I don't even bother spending money on cooking the potatoes. I just roll them in flour and eat 'em raw.

Rah, rah rah! That's the spirit

Rick Bartlett likes this.