Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Yes,very young.Doing this kind of music:

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeah Wow! Thanks to this thread and Mr Tiny Tim, I recently picked up the
    Jerry Reed Bear Family disc quite cheaply too. He only really made a name for
    himself here in Australia during the 70's with a few country/pop hits.
    Amazing to see how far these artists go back.
    More and more I love Jerry.

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  3. Svein Arne

I got a DVD with 2 movies on:
    Country music on broadway:
    Other movie is:Music city USA:Let's Visit "Music City USA"
    Hard to find this dvd now,bought it in 2000 on amazon.

melstapler likes this.
  4. Rick Bartlett

Fantastic! stuff! gosh, there must be heaps I've never heard of then, cos I've never
    seen or heard of that one, and I love me some MGM Hank Jr.
    I wish Bear would bring out his MGM catalogue which I think runs up to about 1975.
    Those years from about 70 to 75, I thought were his greatest period, before the whole
    commercial outlaw image stuff. I still like it a lot, but like Waylon, I think those years
    were gold.

melstapler likes this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

HANK JR & FRIENDS, is my most favourite and most played album on MGM.
    1975!
    [​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  6. Svein Arne

Brothers of the Road

7. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

There's a decent enough book (if you read! ;)) https://www.amazon.com/Live-Fast-Love-Hard-American/dp/025207842X

Why not get the single Bear Family CD to start you off?

[​IMG]

Don't neglect the Mercury stuff though, one of my favourite FY songs is If I Ever Fall In Love (With A Honky Tonk Girl), great stuff but can't find a video to post. Anyway Faron Young has one of those distinctive voices whereby you always know it's him.

There's a great story out there about Faron playing a show and he asked a young girl to come onto the stage and sing with him, she wouldn't do it and Faron was so cross he went down there in the end, put her across his knee and gave her a good spanking. Could you imagine the uproar (probably quite rightly...) if anyone did that these days, still it's a good yarn and shows what a salty character he was.

Oh yeah, word of warning, if you see the song 'this little girl of mine' (or similar I think) skip the track unless you need to barf.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Kkfan, Rick Bartlett and melstapler like this.
  8. Svein Arne

I just ordered this one.
    It's Gonna Be Action Packed (6-CD) | Bear Family Records

9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Amen! Same here.
    Definitely. He certainly had a way of making a song his own. Our host met Faron in the 1970s and had a nice experience. There is also an all-purpose thread for Faron Young fans which was created by a forum troublemaker who calls himself a "reissue activist" and a "consumer rights advocate."

The Faron Young thread

Kkfan, Reader, Steve...O and 2 others like this.
  10. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Yeah, why hasn't that dude been banned yet? :) Hope your recovery is going well.

The other thread mentions the lack of a comprehensive high quality collection of Faron's Mercury sides. That would be an ideal project for Bear if they were still doing that kind of stuff. Sadly too many artists have only had one box leaving fans wanting more (Faron, Webb Pierce, Jean Shepard, Gene Autry, Kitty Wells).

Any more intel on who the singer-songwriter with the upcoming mega box is? Any hope for a Haggard Epic years box?

melstapler and Kkfan like this.
  11. Rick Bartlett

I would have add Waylon to that collection, but a lot of his RCA post 74 albums have been released in some
    form, so that is something I guess. Still waiting for the 83-86 RCA albums to be released and your could
    throw in the return to RCA album 'Waymore's Blues Pt.II'. Other than 'Waylon and Company' those
    80's albums have never seen a Cd release!

melstapler and Steve...O like this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

That's about 6 albums of RCA material that would make a great set compiled together.
    It feels strange in this day and age, when I wanna hear that era of Waylon, I have no choice
    but to dig out the records (not that it bothers me).
    What does bother me, is that you can't buy these albums on Cd.
    They (being RCA or a respected label) could pull these together and add heaps of bonus
    tracks, for example the single B sides that never even made it to an album.
    A big missing chapter of the great Waylon.

13. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

There are lots of great country albums from the 80s that never made it to CD unfortunately.

Regarding Waylon, it seems strange to say this, but he's underrated. Sure he's recognized as an Outlaw pioneer and everyone knows of his duets with Willie, but he had a lot of strong solo material in the 80s through the early 90s that gets overlooked. His "Eagle" album is one of the best country albums of the 90s and includes the original version "Where Corn Don't Grow" which I bet even Travis Tritt would say was the definitive one (I like the Tritt version also).

My memory may be faulty, but wasn't Waylon upset at Bear Family over the two sets they released? Something about he didn't want those songs released? If true, that may explain why no further boxes were released.

14. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

By coincidence, after I posted this earlier today, Mr. Tritt posted a touching picture on his Facebook page of himself kneeling at Waylon's grave. Hard to believe it's been 15 years. Link to picture below:

Travis Tritt

15. Rick Bartlett

Great! I like me some Travis Tritt, and I'm glad he loves one of my heroes Waylon.
    Travis is the real thing.

16. Rick Bartlett

I wonder what Waylon was upset about, because for us, well some of us, we love all of his developments into the
    the artist he became. Was it the demo's? advertisement jingles? the A&M recordings? early RCA?
    Is there any truth to it, because I've heard this before elsewhere as well.
    Can anybody reference any kind of interview about this?

Steve...O likes this.
  17. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

What a great idea. I only know of a few of the 80s-era RCA albums released on CD. "Waylon And Company" I used to have on CD in the late 80s/early 90s and "Black On Black/Music Man" was a twofer released briefly about 20 years ago and with no bonus material. It would be interesting to know what previously unreleased material sits in the vaults from his years with RCA.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  18. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Thanks to the recommendations of the good folks in this thread, I just received The Bristol Sessions. Ripping the CDs as I type this (I don't even own a CD player anymore). Can't wait to listen, probably start Saturday morning. Set sure looks great!!!

19. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Amen brother!
    Beave

EddieMann likes this.
  20. Svein Arne

21. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

22. rod

rod Senior Member

It won't make it to the U.S. this year. I wonder if amazon.de will use this as an excuse to cancel pre-orders.

My Woody Guthrie box went from preorder to backorder at amazon.com with no predicted date.

melstapler likes this.
  23. Kkfan, DR.J, Svein Arne and 2 others like this.
  24. Svein Arne

New music video by Charley Pride:
    :

25. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

What if I like all those things and still buy way too much music....