Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Ruh roh. :eek:

2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

PhantomStranger and melstapler like this.
  4. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  5. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

It's a shame neither of those Christmas comps feature Johnny Paycheck, there was a Koch release a few years ago where JP shared the bill with Bobby Helms, JP only got 4 cuts on the disc from a never completed/released LP. His tracks are great, you get a tough sounding Paycheck rollicking through Jingle Bells, Mommy For Awhile in Christmas Day, I'll Place My Order Early and The Old Year Is Gone. Brilliant stuff!

Rick Bartlett and melstapler like this.
  6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The timing does seem coincidental, but things aren't always as they seem. The only time I've had items cancelled like this is when A) the item is unavailable or out of stock or B) the item is damaged. Prices can fluctuate drastically due to various reasons, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and guessing this is more of an issue with the supplier which would exceed
    Great video! Charley played a song or two from the new album when we saw him earlier this year and I think this was one of them. Listened to it once or twice, hopefully it grows on you with more listens. It's definitely an improvement over the two previous studio albums and the production is excellent. Charley's live sets were great even back in the 90s, because he played longer and included more of his hits in addition to classic cuts from his albums. Charley had vocal cord surgery and that's apparently the reason why certain hits aren't included in his sets. By the time Charley actually enters the stage, I think it's about an hour, but the 2+ hour sets he used to play would probably wreak havoc on his voice. He's certainly in great shape for a guy his age and I'd pay money to hear him sing the phone book. The BGO reissue campaign seems to be going strong and it's nice to finally own those RCA albums on CD.

Kkfan, Svein Arne and The Killer like this.
  7. The Killer

Back on the Bear side I just scored a brand new Marty Robbins Country 1960 - 1966 for under £30, also picked up another couple of James Talley BF discs, Live and Love Songs, nice and cheap off that eBay. Been after the Robbins one for a while.

[​IMG]

8. melstapler

Not bad! What a great box set. Aren't most or all of the James Talley titles OOP? Make sure to get duplicates of those. :righton:

Here is a nice quote from James Talley about Gene Watson

"Gene Watson was always grounded in the true country music of working people. I remember one time in Atlanta, early in Gene's career; he was at Great Southeast Music Hall in Atlanta. Gene was taking his equipment out of the trunk of his car. There were all these body-working tools in the trunk that you would use to repair automobiles. The proprietor of The Music Hall asked Gene why he still carried all his body-working tools around with him, and he said, 'Well, in this business, you never know when I might have to go back to them'. He had a wonderful voice and wonderful phrasing in his songs from the outset." -James Talley

Front 242 Addict and The Killer like this.
  9. The Killer

Have we mentioned Benny Barnes yet, just stumbled across him checking out some other stuff. BF has a one disc comp that looks pretty good containing his 1950s output.

10. The Killer

More country and less rockabilly...

GodBlessTinyTim and melstapler like this.
  11. The Killer

Anyone got this, looks like a sampler disc, not sure it's different stuff or not?

[​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  12. melstapler

I remember this comp from about 20+ years ago. It's OOP and fairly scarce, but I'm almost certain all of the tracks were available on other CDs.

Svein Arne and The Killer like this.
  13. melstapler

Country legend Kenny Vernon with Travis Tritt
    [​IMG]

14. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Recently I bought Bear Family's "Beyond Recall: A Record of Jewish Musical Life in Nazi Berlin, 1933-1938". It's a beautiful set and a true labor of love! However, I'm tempted to sue Amazon for causing me much anxiety and emotional distress! When I got my delivery via UPS, the driver cautioned me that all of the weight was shifted to one end of the box, which was visibly battered. I felt sick as I anxiously opened the already partially opened Amazon box. Immediately I saw that the shrink wrap was torn and scuffed. The UPC code sticker on the product was almost detached and curled up. Though the BF set was intended as a gift, a friend suggested that the shrink wrap be removed so it could be further inspected. I was already upset that the shrink wrap was being removed. Well, my friend removed the shrink wrap and when she did, the set's presentation box emerged severely damaged. All corners were completely split! OK, I had a total meltdown! After I finished cussing and whirling around the room like the Tasmanian devil, I looked at my friend as she quietly and calmly asked if I was finished. Well, I returned it and ended up buying another set from reseller IMPORTS ONLY, who double-boxed it. It arrived undamaged thank GOD! The set weighs 12 pounds!

15. The Killer

Just seen there's some Benny Barnes on the Louisiana Hayride set. Exciting!

melstapler and Front 242 Addict like this.
  16. The Killer

I hate goods damaged in transit, so unnecessary. Sounds like you had a good go at getting it off your chest though!

melstapler and Joy-of-radio like this.
  17. Svein Arne

Pictures of the box,looks great.Interesting reading outside the box about the recordings:
    Beyond Recall: Record Of Jewish Musical Life In Nazi Berlin 11 CD, 1 DVD, Book 4000127160300 | eBay

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

However, Bear Family did not release "later career" boxes for most of the artists that it has covered. It can't be just about the artist attitude or licensing limitations. My guess is that is the way Richard Weize preferred, in general.

melstapler, Steve...O and The Killer like this.
  19. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

They took Hank Snow to the END of his career. However with Eddy Arnold they have not progressed past 1955. Very regrettable.

melstapler and Steve...O like this.
  20. Svein Arne

There are still live recordings by Hank Snow that has not been released or a single song in a concert show with other artists.So a 1 more cd is possible to make.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Richard Weize was definitely deeply into Hank Snow

melstapler likes this.
  22. The Killer

Jim Reeves and Don Gibson too, pretty sure they're his main ones.

melstapler likes this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think part of the reason is that Snow never got heavily into the Nashville Sound. A lot of Bear Family sets end just before the Nashville Symphony Orchestra took over, with exceptions where the artist is most regarded for that style (Reeves, etc.)

And, ordered. Now there's a voice made for country music.

The Killer likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But he did not do the very last of Ernest Tubb. Didn't Tubb make some records after his Decca contract?

But we know, that in most cases, Bear did not cover entire careers, or even half careers.

Wasn't there a pile of Reeves recordings not on Bear that the infamous bootlegger issued?

melstapler and Kkfan like this.
  25. Svein Arne

Yes.But there are lots of demo recordings by Jim so that a cd box could have been made with these.

melstapler likes this.