Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. melstapler

melstapler Forum Resident

Definitely. I've seen his name on various credits and since there isn't a great deal of available information on Jim, the sessions he played on tell an interesting story. The impressive list of sessions Jim played on include Wynn Stewart, Dolly Parton, Charley Pride, Crystal Gayle, Narvel Felts, Kenny Rogers, Don Williams, Doc Watson, Barefoot Jerry and Waylon Jennings.
    Jim Colvard | Credits | AllMusic

2. melstapler

melstapler Forum Resident

Definitely. If it were feasible, I wouldn't have minded if they divided the Patsy Cline box set into 2 different releases. Consider how the second Bob Luman box set containing his earlier material wasn't released until several years after the first one which contained his later material.

Svein Arne and Rick Bartlett like this.
  3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wonder if Fats Domino's passing will prompt Bear Family to put his box set back in print. It's undoubtedly the greatest testament to his legacy. Listening to one of the discs now, I notice that the set is oddly sequenced-- For instance, a 1962 twist song immediately precedes "Blueberry Hill" from 1956. Not that it matters terribly.

Edit: Upon looking at the sessionography, I found out that twist record was actually a 1956 song which was unreleased until '62 when "Twist" was added to its title to make it seem new.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  4. rod

rod Well-Known Member

I doubt if they'd think it's worth it since everything in the box is public domain now and most of it is available from every pd company in Europe.

melstapler likes this.
  5. GodBlessTinyTim

Sadly you're right, even if those PD labels only reissue the hits.

melstapler likes this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

and PD labels go from really good to REALLY bad too.

melstapler likes this.
  7. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Well-Known Member

Fats Domino recorded an album in Nashville.Hear it here:

melstapler and Front 242 Addict like this.
  8. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict Forum Resident

Looks like a real treasure, I understand that the box is from 1996. Enjoy from the beautiful music :)
    Very interesting article, A real detectives work.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    melstapler likes this.
  9. Svein Arne

10. Svein Arne

New vinyl by Lefty Frizzell:
    Time Out For The Blues (LP) | Bear Family Records

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  11. Front 242 Addict

There is a magnificent country artist-
    Johnny Paycheck which I discovered lately, he created very beautiful- touching music/lyrics, you can find his cds on Bear Family label.
    Johnny Paycheck | Englisch

Johnny Paycheck -Old Violin

12. Svein Arne

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  13. Svein Arne

melstapler and Front 242 Addict like this.
  14. Front 242 Addict

Johnny Paycheck - The Beginning
    Recorded 1958 & 1964. All tracks are mono. All tracks previously unreleased except 1, 2, 4, & 7 Made in U.S.A. (1964) - Produced by Aubrey Mayhew, right after him and Donald agreed to change his name to Johnny Paycheck.
    Lots of great unreleased material and a few singles.
    I recommend especially to listen to the song from 22 M' Galway Bay
    , such a beautiful /touching voice, amazing song.

Don't Start Countin' On Me (1965, Single only
    The Girl They Talk About (1965, Single only -
    High Heels And No Soul (1964, previously unreleased
    Don't You Get Lonesome Without Me (1964, single only
    Passion And Pride (1964, previously unreleased)
    I Thought I'd Never Fall In Love Again (1964, previously unreleased)
    I'm Glad To Have Her Back Again (1964, Single only -
    Beyond The Last Mile (1964, previously unreleased)
    Galway Bay (1964, previously unreleased)
    A Girl Like You
    Shackles And Chains (1964, previously unreleased)
    With Your Wedding Ring In My Hand (1964, previously unreleased)
    When You're Tired Of Breaking Their Hearts (1964, previously unreleased)
    Columbus Stockade Blues (1964, previously unreleased)
    Stone Heart (1964, previously unreleased)

. Guitar: Harold Bradley, Jerry Kennedy Bass: Junior Huskey, Bob Moore Steel: Lloyd Green, Buddy Emmons Drums: Buddy Harman Fiddle: Charlie Justice, Rufus Rufus Thibodeaux Piano: Hargus Robbins

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    melstapler, Kkfan and Svein Arne like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

thats the case with most BF products.

16. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

What? They didn't include the Hank T-Shirt? I guess that came with the first run. Personally, I thought that outer box design stands among the worst ever. I mean a cardboard radio? Save the outer shipping carton and put it away. Just another wasted cubic foot of space for that box. Bear Family should have been given the rights to do it properly with a superior book.

17. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

18. Svein Arne

Front 242 Addict and melstapler like this.
  19. Svein Arne

Here it is without the radiobox you hate:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...9-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop

:tiphat:

20. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

That is actually a great improvement. My copy of the original transfers of the acetates may have been the source of most of the "fan" copies that circulated before its official release. I don't remember when it was, but I loaned it to a friend almost 20 years ago, and he circulated hundreds of copies and then put it out on torrent sites without my knowledge. My copy was given to me by an "insider".

melstapler likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

It sure looks to me that ErnieB's is going out of business. They are offering 70% off with email coupons. Ace label is gone. A sad day in the mail order business seems to be here. They said they were the best, and they were right.

22. GodBlessTinyTim

That's a shame, they really were the best. I hadn't ordered from them since 2015 because the exchange rate took a tumble, but for a while their prices were what allowed me to own a good number of my Bear Family products.

melstapler likes this.
  23. The Killer

The Killer Forum Resident

Got the Merle Kilgore today, I was half expecting it to be a rockabilly CD but it's not, there's a whole mix of stuff, some great loose sounding r and b, I notice it has a Dave Bartholomew involvement and it sounds like it too. There's some rock and roll stuff, pop country and some knock out straight country too. James Burton also gets a session credit. It's a wonderful disc, what Bear does best, makes you wonder why a disc that's so good isn't still in print!

[​IMG]

24. Reader

Reader Forum Resident

Hate to hear that. I've keep checking their website but they don't carry any releases I want anymore. They gradually stopped with Ace, Cherry Red and all the other labels I was interested in.

They were/are the best for prices and packing if they have what you want. If BF had made them the main source for their product here in the U.S. BF would be selling much more and they'd have a hope of being around awhile. Too many penny counters and not enough music lovers, I guess?

25. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Member

That'll Flat Git It rockabilly series ... and after several years of dormancy, a new volume is coming this month: Vol. 28 (Reprise/Warner Bros.).

Rob L, Svein Arne and GodBlessTinyTim like this.