Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Already sold!

2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I see. Makes sense. I have quite a few of their boxes already but there's still quite a few that I'm feverishly trying to come up with the funds for before they go OOP.

melstapler likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Don't forget that sometimes the price of a new lease goes way up, and even more often today, the owner does not want to grant licences at all, or just allow them for some way over-priced audiophile vinyl label. With overall CD sales down for all companies, it doesn't happen.

With Lefty, Richard wanted to revise the set from the very beginning, so I strongly believe he did not have multiple pressings made before any license issues may have come up.... but the revision became a long term project

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  4. darling

darling Senior Member

Amazon Germany's "Buy 3, pay 2" offer is back.
    3 kaufen, 2 bezahlen
    Enter "Bear Family" in the small search box on the right (not the big top one) to narrow the list down to Bear Family sets.
    (Use the Chrome browser to automatically translate the site)
    And remember, Amazon is going to subtract VAT from the listed prices, which should more than cover the shipping costs.

Kevin55 and melstapler like this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. I believe they reissued that set not long before Lesley passed away and the audio on the 5 discs was identical to the earlier pressing.

Reader likes this.
  6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Welcome, friend. We've been expecting you. :D

McLover likes this.
  7. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

What were the most popular Bear sets that you sold?

melstapler likes this.
  8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

How long is this expected to last?

9. cdwolf

cdwolf Forum Resident

Marty Robbins' Under Western Skies sold 418, and the first Flatt&Scruggs, the first and third Johnny Cash, Jimmie Driftwood and the Louvin Brothers all sold over 300 each. In terms of dollar amounts it was the Carter Family, the first Bob Wills, Jim Reeves and the Louvin Brothers, all around $50K each.

Keep in mind that this was only from 1999 to 2008. For boxsets released before then, I would have missed the initial sales spurt when they were first released. This would have affected all the above except the Carter Family and Bob Wills.

10. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

This is surely not going to happen now, right? I know they were talking about it for a long time and I was waiting for it, but it seems like now it's highly unlikely.

melstapler likes this.
  11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Why do you say that? Because they seem to have stopped focus on single artists or they just don't spend that long on projects in general? Haven't some of these taken close to a decade to compile?

melstapler likes this.
  12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

If y'all will forgive me. Not trying to threadcrap or self-serve but I suspect at least a few of you wouldn't mind joining me in my thread about LaCosta Tucker. Posting the link here cuz I'm guessing it's the kind of thread that could get lost easy:

Any LaCosta Tucker fans here?

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It would be great, even for those of us who have the Lefty box

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Your customer base might be representative of that of other Bear Family dealers, or possibly it was more "country leaning" . I had heard that the Doris Day Box#1 sold well, as did the Dean Martin box#1...and I suppose some of the rock n roll boxes sold well.

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  15. Judge Judy

That, and Richard's not there any more, and in general going back to previously released stuff has never seemed to be a priority to them, from my perspective.

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I am so superstitious that I will agree with you that a Lefty reissue won't happen, believing that that will make it happen. But just admitting that will make it not happen, thus it will ultimately be reissued, but maybe not in my lifetime, but....

17. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

What’s Cookin’

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is one where I wish Bear Family would be kind to their loyal customers and sell the new book separately to those who have the first Hank Snow Box (1949-1953)

March | 2017 | Type On A Sunday

19. Judge Judy

rod and Kevin55 like this.
  20. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Kkfan and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You can blow up these pages to look at real details. Sure hope this happens soon.

Kkfan, Svein Arne and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  22. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

That would be great.The old one is very skinny/thin.

23. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Picked up Christmas on the Countryside...it’s a treasure. It will be one of my top played Christmas CDs for some time! Thanks Bear Family!!

24. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Ordered the following!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I recall that the text of the Hank Ballard implied that there would be a box #2, indirectly suggesting a move toward even more vintage rhythm & blues. That never happened unfortunately. Quality, documentary style rhythm & blues box sets are still an extreme rarity. That is strange given the importance of the music to so much that followed and to the never-ending appeal of the original recordings.

Just spilled a glass of water all over my desk, covered with CDs and stuff. At least it wasn't wine. I'd have to lick it up like a cat.

DR.J likes this.