Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. jonathan

jonathan Senior Member

I really dig "Truckers, Kickers, Cowboy Angels: The Blissed Out Birth Of Country Rock ." Bear Family is mainly known for their single artist collections, but these sets are really Ace- or classic (pre~'95) Rhino-worthy.

3. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Is that the 7-Volume set?

4. jonathan

jonathan Senior Member

Yep.

5. Svein Arne

There may come a cd box with Stoney Edwards.
    I asked for that several years ago.

:righton:

6. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Stray Cats - Cruisin' 'Round Sixteen Candles

melstapler likes this.
  7. Svein Arne

8. Svein Arne

9. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Great cover and super rare. I believe that there's a few other copies of that compilation for sale on their eBay page!

10. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Great news about Stoney Edwards! Stoney's body of work and life story have been criminally overlooked. In addition to his Capitol material, they will also need to include Stoney's later recordings after he left Capitol. Would be great if they could include some quotes or interviews from Ray Benson, as his group Asleep At The Wheel served as Stoney's backing band at one point.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "Just For Old Times Sake" was a private pressing CD in 1991 and Stoney's last studio album before his death in 1997. What a great album!

The Killer likes this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I have all of the early MGM Hank Jr albums, but I don't think this made it to any of them.
    I may be wrong of course. A big fan of early Hank Jr.

Svein Arne likes this.
  13. Svein Arne

Stoney Edwards - Wikipedia

melstapler likes this.
  14. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Is there any actual news though?

This and Paycheck's Little Darlin' stuff are the top of my box set wish list.

melstapler and hotshotskings like this.
  15. Rick Bartlett

Paycheck 'Little Darlin' Yeah! me too!

16. Rick Bartlett

for the Waylon completest, this is a rare and interesting look at some early live
    Waylon. these recordings are not on the Bear boxes, this is a stand alone disc.
    the quality is pretty rough for the most part, and probably wont be a regular spin.
    a worthwhile listen:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Rick Bartlett

Worker, Reader, The Killer and 2 others like this.
  18. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Great article! Can you imagine the frustration felt by the rightful owner? Probably an uncaring or ignorant relative was to blame for mistakenly donating the instrument. Sad part is, this probably happens more often than any of us realize.

The Killer and Rick Bartlett like this.
  19. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Roy's granddaughter Ruth performs locally here often 120 miles east from kc. I was going to send her the link if it hadn't been brought to the family's attention. Thanks for sharing, glad to hear it's back in the family's hands that could have been heartbreaking

melstapler likes this.
  20. Svein Arne

Only one question about this:Where is the audience?

melstapler likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

the recordings were recorded by then current bass player Paul Foster on his mono reel to reel
    tape recorder. I'm only guessing, but it sounds like they took a feed from the P.A directly of the
    vocal mics and recorded only that. the guitars and drums all sound like 'bleed' to me.
    the audience can be heard, more sounding like chatting and some clinging of glasses and laughing
    in the background. dare I say, Waylon at this point was not blowing down doors and having
    screaming fans just yet. imagine having Waylon playing in a venue where he is basically
    background music? I'd love a time machine. we also start seeing they start of where Ritchie his long term drummer,
    starts making some appearances, where as the rest of the recordings are just 2 guitars and bass.
    the other guitar player being Jerry Gropp, who went on to sing Lorena on the first
    'Waylon at JD's' album.

melstapler likes this.
  22. Svein Arne

Now i understand.Easy to hear this on Elvis Presley concerts recorded trough soundboard.

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oof, nearing two weeks since release and the Starday Custom set is still out of stock on Amazon.de. Meanwhile all the other German online music retailers have it available. Wonder what gives.

rod likes this.
  24. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

:realmad:

25. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

First pressing almost sold out – currently only about 150 copies left at BE headquarters :tiphat: