Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah I keep checking and it's the same thing; not in stock. Bear Family has it in stock and I found it on one other site but I can't really afford to shell out what the other ones are asking or I'd have cancelled my order and placed it elsewhere.

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Does BE sell directly to the public? Just curious.

3. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

As of this writing, the set is more expensive at Amazon.de (€161) than at BF ($186). €161 is approximately $192. Of course, VAT should be removed from both vendors if shipping overseas.

4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, good for BE. Hope the second pressing comes soon!

5. rod

rod Senior Member

Bear Family doesn't remove VAT from shipments to U.S.

6. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

They don’t???
    Shouldn’t that be illegal?

7. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

This time of year mail from Christmas to 2 weeks into next year is very messy,look here.

8. Svein Arne

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Nope it isn't because they aren't really charging you VAT if you live outside the EU.

What they do is this; the price is $186 (or whatever) inclusive of VAT so really only $155 plus VAT (using at 20% VAT rate) if you live in the EU. But if you live outside the EU the net price is $186.

So you see they are not charging you VAT they are just charging you more if you live outside the EU. :)

Kkfan likes this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Or they could send those 150 units to Amazon.de and they could then send them to us. :D

But yes it is good for BE that they sold out of most of their stock. Not sure if a second pressing would be on the cards if they still have some units but perhaps demand is a lot higher than expected and they could get a second pressing done and sold.

11. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

:cheers: Welcome back!.....now about that 70s Outlaw box-in-work that you mentioned a while ago....

12. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Funny you should ask:

Fats Domino: Out Of New Orleans (8-CD)
    Republication of the legendary Fats Domino CD box set that includes all his Imperial recordings (1948 -1962).

We decided to revive this great box set due to public demand and as our Tribute to the late great Fats Domino! This set will be a new revised edition that includes a new hardcover book. A celebration for eyes and ears!

The exact release date of this Fats Domino box set is not set yet but you already can list yourself for an information e-mail we will send as soon as the release date is known.

13. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Oh yeah, the Steve Young box (I wish).

Svein Arne and Mychael like this.
  14. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Oh you mean the Guy Clark box? With 10 discs of unrealeased music, out takes and demos? Actually I’d prefer a 4 or 5 disc set so I can actually afford it ;)

Kevin55 likes this.
  15. darling

darling Senior Member

I mean, I have the original set so there's not much point in me picking this up.

What would have been cool is a Chuck Berry-like set that collected all of his output. (I think I have it all, but I'm sure I'm missing one or two odds and ends - like the original, unedited version of Blueberry Hill which, as far as I can tell, has never appeared on CD).

16. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't justify buying the set all over again for an updated book, but it's great news for anyone who doesn't have it.

Interesting. Where can this unedited version of "Blueberry Hill" be heard, and how does it differ?

darling and Svein Arne like this.
  17. Svein Arne

Here it is in stereo.Must be fakeo_O

GodBlessTinyTim and melstapler like this.
  18. darling

darling Senior Member

Only on the original 78rpm releae. It's not a big deal, but I'm still surprised that it's been overlooked.

The pertinent part is at about 1:04 (in the song, not the embedded video below) - the correct lyrics are "vows we made"

By the time it made it to 45 there was a clearly audible tape stretch at that point. In the seventies Imperial made a new master and patched the faulty part with a copy of a similar segment from later in the song (with the lyrics "vows you made". As far as I know, all CD releases came from this master.

There's a few other missing tracks from the Bear Family set - some bigger deals than others:
    Antoine "Fats" Domino - FAQ

As I said, it would be great to take this opportunity and put together a comprehensive career-spanning collection. Even better - a 'volume two' so that people don't have to essentialy buy the first set again.

(I'd probably buy the updated book, if it were sold separately. )

19. Svein Arne

Great now Bear family can include missing versions or fix old mistakes.:cop:

melstapler likes this.
  20. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Just picked up the Bristol Sessions box, very exciting, I’ve only got a BMG Heritage single disc of this stuff (which I note I bought in 2003), this should keep me out of mischief for a bit.

[​IMG]

21. Svein Arne

Links to this set and others great sets at Youtube:
    bristol sessions box set - YouTube

The Killer likes this.
  22. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The Killer and Reader like this.
  23. Svein Arne

Mr. H and Reader like this.
  24. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I love the Warren Smith Sun CD and the Sonny Burgess Sun one as well. I think those were great. I had several of the boxes at one point but now I'm just down to Bill Monroe 1950-1958. That one is awesome too. If I had unlimited funds, I'd get the earliest Bill Monroe box. I don't have time or inclination to sit through most of those box sets though.

The Killer likes this.
  25. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I hope this gets released by BF.

I enjoy the Bristol, Johnson City and Knoxville boxes. This is important work as far as history but are also very enjoyable to listen to for pleasure.

Look at the last few pages in the new Hayride box for information on these sets if you don't know about them.