Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

They can also get help from collectors if they dont find a special recording maybe a collector has it.Just like Starday custom box is missing som recordings they can borrow it from a collector.Pictures can also collectors help with.Would make it easier for them to do it.

2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

funny yeah! I've often thought about that, how do they reach out to add or complete their box sets? I have known or know
    a few people with rare items that have never surfaced in such collections....

3. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Not true. Bear Family is constantly updating and re-pressing their back catalog (box sets and single CDs). The market for physical discs (especially those with books/packaging like BF, BE Records or Ruf) is far from being obsolete, especially in Germany where Amazon isn't dominating all the sales.

4. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Forum Resident

Last night I had a moment of weakness and bought a brand new copy of the Uncle Dave Macon boxed set! Can’t wait!!

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Tonight at the Lousiana Hayride box-set is not only my favorite BF release it s one of my all time favorite box-sets

melstapler and Svein Arne like this.
  6. Svein Arne

Do you have the Big D Jamboree Box set?

7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

8. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Hi Mychael - do you know if the first Jimmy Dickens box is being repressed? It's been OOP for quite some time.

Thank you for confirming their back catalog is still a priority and than you for all the wonderful design work you do for them.

melstapler likes this.
  9. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Enjoy! ;)

10. Bob Y

Bob Y Member

I have all three Everly Brothers boxes, I've been a fan of theirs since I was a little kid, I was sick with asthma and my doctor told me that I had to stay in all early summer (actually my parents:D) and my aunt felt so bad for me she let me borrow her Webcor Hifi (which really sounded good) and a bunch of 45's. This was about 1962, I was 9 years old and she had a lot of Everly brother singles, both WB and Cadence and I fell in love and have been a big fan ever since. I think these three box sets have just about ever tune they ever did including many outtakes, it's fascinating to hear the different takes and progressions and directions of some of the songs on the way to their final form.

11. maloney

maloney Well-Known Member

you will love it I have it and it is very good amazing book

baptistbusman likes this.
  12. maloney

maloney Well-Known Member

can anyone tell me is Rose Maddox and Her Brothers on the Louisiana Hayride boxed set , I realy enjoy Roses Music ..especialy Smoke, Fire, and Brimstone, Ole Slew Foot, And Honky Tonkin..on Capitol

13. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

The Land Just Over The Stars by The Maddox Brothers & Rose
    Tall Men by Rose Maddox

maloney likes this.
  14. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Mychael, still gonna keep us in the dark regarding this Outlaw box??!!

15. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

For what it is worth, Bill Anderson wrote in his newsletter this month that he has heard "not a peep" from Bear Family about a follow up to his box set (First 10 Years). That's a shame as the second 10 years had a lot of great music also.

Not surprising considering how many boxes from long ago (Faron, Webb, Kitty, etc.) were 1 and done.

16. Svein Arne

Would be great with 1 more from these:Continuing from earlier box:Billy Walker,Stonewall Jackson,Bobby Bare,Porter Wagoner,Kitty Wells,Brenda Lee,Roy Acuff,Bill Anderson.Plus lots of others.

Steve...O, maloney and Russ_B66 like this.
  17. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

I've mentioned this to Richard – the problem isn't lack of interest, but the master tapes. They were lost in the MCA fire, and there are hardly any safety copies known to exist. (Bear Family already searched the vaults of foreign companies/licensees for second generation tapes.). Still, as Whispering Bill wrote, you never know...

Steve...O likes this.
  18. Svein Arne

Somewhere there must be a negative tape.A tape that has been used to make metalstamper.This tape you must play in a phono amplifier plugged in the opposite way then you normally do.It is easier to send a tape like this then 2 metalstampers to the record manufacturer.With a tape like that you get better sound then make a copy of vinyl.Hope this may get People at Bear Family some new ideas.:tiphat:

Steve...O likes this.
  19. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Forum Resident

I remember when that fire happened in 2008, everyone was going nuts and then Universal said that everything had been moved and what was still there was only stuff from “obscure artists from the 40’s and 50’s” and they had digital copies of that music that was safe, so I guess all of that was a lie and the masters are all gone forever.

20. Svein Arne

21. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

I've never seen a complete list of label catalogues that were lost in the fire. Does anyone know? Only ones I know for sure are Duke/Peacock and ABC-Paramount.

I heard that Universal has all the Chess tapes but they weren't stored in the building that burned down. Is that true?

22. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

This hurts to read. If Decca masters were lost, I suppose that hurts the chances of a second Brenda Lee or Webb Pierce box as well.

melstapler and Steve...O like this.
  23. Svein Arne

Look at this video,it is possible biggest storage of recorded music in the world.Begins at 19 minutes about records.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Lucretius and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  24. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I would love for there to be more Brenda Lee on Bear Family. At least there are the old records but Ace and Bear Family have put out some wonderful discs.

Svein Arne and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

In such events, you should always go with the best available source, even if that is a mint LP. Thousands of satisfying reissues on CD came from such sources. If audiophiles fervently believe in the sound of vintage LPs, why can't CD reissue collectors get that same source?

Svein Arne likes this.