Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Yeah, it is. I'm definitely getting it.

From Ace Records:

Widely regarded as one of the greatest live country albums of the 1960s, “George Jones Live At Dancetown USA” was part of the Ace catalogue for decades – first on vinyl, then in expanded form on CD.

Given the advances in technology since its first digital issue more than 20 years ago, Ace figured it was probably time to upgrade the package with freshly remastered audio (in mono this time, the way it was always meant her be heard, rather than the 2-track of the previous issues with George’s vocals on one channel and the Jones Boys’ accompaniment on the other), an expanded booklet with a new cover design, a more detailed sleeve note and a new title.

“Live In Texas 1965” remains one of the most authentic examples of a working country musician plying his trade in front of a hometown crowd. As well as energetic and committed performances of some of Jones’ greatest hits – frequently shouted for by the very boisterous crowd – you will hear extended solo showcases for various band musicians, singers and guests. There’s even a rare attempt at a rock’n’roll classic, a type of music George was never noted for enjoying.

When this concert was taped George was not quite the superstar he became in the 1970s, but he was already one of the most popular country vocalists of his generation. Few of his peers preserved their live shows for future generations to enjoy, which only adds to the importance and significance of the remarkable audio document that is “Live In Texas 1965”.

2. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

It looks like the new & revised version of the Fats Domino box will have new audio too: the original masters as recorded, plus the speeded-up versions on an additional disc.

3. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Did the old box have the original masters or the speeded-up versions?

4. The Killer

@Mychael - there was talk a while back of a singer-songwriter outlaw box set, is that something still on the cards, I know you can't give details and I'm not fishing for any but it would be exciting news that BF are on with new single artist stuff in general?

baptistbusman and melstapler like this.
  5. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Yes. And yes. (And the correct artist was already guessed a couple of pages ago here... ;-) )

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

JOHNNY PAYCHECK??????????? :yikes:
    pwease pwease pwease!!

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

8. Rick Bartlett

while it's great they are updating and releasing newer versions of their box sets, like Fats
    and Lefty?...... I wish 'Bears' focus would concentrate box sets on other artists that have
    not been properly documented at ALL! I have the 'Lefty' set, and proud of it, but because
    it may be getting a new updated version, I won't be rushing out in a hurry to replace
    my great original. Just sayin', please concentrate on other artists have have not had
    decent representation. Someone like Charlie Feathers/Roger Miller/Paycheck needs something comprehensive
    even if not complete.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  9. darling

darling Senior Member

There are some tracks missing from the original box set - including the unedited single version of Blueberry Hill that has never been issued on CD. See here, for example. Will any of those be included as well?

10. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting, I thought most of his post-1955 singles were sped up, not just enough to fill one disc.

The old box uses the sped-up versions because that's "how the songs were made to be heard."

Kevin55 likes this.
  11. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

They can always speed them up even more if there's not enough space.:D

12. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

New Box will have at least 9 CDs?

13. darling

darling Senior Member

Hey, while we are dreaming, as well as the three or four tracks that were left off the original set, there's an unreleased album from Mercury and a bunch of ABC recordings that would be great additions to the box. Throw in the two Reprise albums, and the 70s and 90s 'comebacks' and a few stray tracks here and there and you have the potential for a killer 'complete' box...

14. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

do you think anymore Tennessee Ernie Ford will Come our Way Via Bear Family ?

Svein Arne likes this.
  15. Svein Arne

16. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Did Bear Family ever do a box-set on The Shirelles?
    or The Drifters?

melstapler likes this.
  17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Steve...O and rod like this.
  18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  19. Svein Arne

melstapler, Steve...O, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  20. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

The team revising this box is certainly thinking in this direction... we'll see what's possible.

Reader, Kevin55, melstapler and 4 others like this.
  21. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Storage Box #2 contains....

[​IMG]

22. The Killer

I'll take all of those except 3, 5 and 11.

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  23. The Killer

The Osborne Brothers 1956-1968 is here, nice bonus of a copy of the 1994 catalogue also there's two copies of the book in the box too! Just spinning disc 1 now, I'd already got a couple of their single discs so nice to get a Bear box and get stuck into catalogue proper. Quality stuff.

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  24. The Killer

Cracking version of my favourite country song - Lost Highway

25. Rick Bartlett

i'll proudly take the scraps left over
    :D

melstapler and The Killer like this.