Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have a large collection, but most of them are out of print, and copies of most that are out there are in only fair condition.

melstapler likes this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

LP copies of those titles in nice condition in my area go for $1 or less each. I enjoy Tennessee Ernie Ford's religious albums very well, but they're many hundreds of times easier to find in nice condition than his Country Boogie and Country tracks on 78, 45, and on LP. And besides. I love the Ol' Peapicker from Bristol, Tennessee.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is sad to see the condition of those many albums (mostly at garage sales)....often even moldy. You can find clean copies, of course, but the majority are beat.

A Bear Box that sorts it all out and might even discover session material, and add the television performances (at least in audio), along with an incredible book....that is a real dream.

melstapler likes this.
  4. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I just wanted a box set of Tribute and Mychael singing duets live....is that too much to ask?

rod and melstapler like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Live, in the studio recordings, to be released as an exclusive by Bear Family. I am working on the book about me under a pseudonym, so that people will see me as a flawed genius. My flaws include having absolutely no musical talent, and my genius was proving it in an 8 CD Bear Family box.

Mychael can design the cover, based on my preliminary sketch below:

[​IMG]

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

ahhh, the great Johnny Bond.... this one sounds great only on a loud setting:

7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

My point is the Ford and Foley boxes would have easily been day 1 purchases for me if they’d included nonsecular recordings. I still own neither today because I just haven’t felt compelled to buy part of the story.

Steve...O likes this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

has BF released any Boxcar Willie stuff? I really like his stuff as scattered as it seems to be.
    a little doco about him..

Svein Arne and maloney like this.
  9. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kind of surprising that one wasn't included on his Shake This Shack entry. Another good addition would have been "Three or Four Nights", which was later compiled on The Other Side of Bakersfield Vol. 2

(This is a remixed version with extra echo and more prominent slap bass)

Bear Family would probably be more inclined to reissue his work if he had made his recording debut in 1958 rather than 1978.

10. Rick Bartlett

this one sounds earlier than 1978...

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  11. Rick Bartlett

another early release:
    [​IMG]

Svein Arne and melstapler like this.
  12. GodBlessTinyTim

I stand corrected. He recorded three or four singles and an album in the 60's as Marty Martin. That first track you linked was his first recording, 1961. Still, it's uncommon for BF to tackle artists who became famous as late at '78.

http://countrydiscoghraphy2.blogspot.ca/2016/03/boxcar-willie.html

McLover and Rick Bartlett like this.
  13. Rick Bartlett

I'm just learning this myself, but was surprised when digging a little deeper, what I found. I didn't know he made
    an album as Marty Martin... curious to hunt that one down and check it out.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  14. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Can't see these two as being menched yet so does anyone have these, opinion?

[​IMG]

I'm on a bit of a Bob Wills kick at the mo (aaaaaa haaaaa!) and as Tommy Duncan has a great voice, warm and engaging, I'm quite keen to pick these up if they're worth it, they certainly look that way and hey it is Bear Family after all!

There's a few youtube clips, this is a version of Roly Poly with un-pc additional make fun of a fat guy nonsense!

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Svein Arne and melstapler like this.
  15. GodBlessTinyTim

I don't have them, but I've checked out a bunch of the tracks. Duncan's voice seems to have a little less range than it did in the 40's and the backing is less adventurous than the Playboys but still very proficient. A few songs have him trying straight Lefty-style country, gospel, and even rock 'n' roll in the case of "Mommy Loves Daddy-o". Samples:

Beneath a Neon Star in Honky Tonk - Tommy Duncan | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

Texas Moon - Tommy Duncan | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  16. Rick Bartlett

so it's song and dance, how about a BF Johnny Paycheck set?
    [​IMG]
    I wont quit!

Reader, BRC, The Killer and 1 other person like this.
  17. Rick Bartlett

18. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Both CDs are worth buying in order to complete your Bob Wills-related collection, but it's apparent that Bob needed Tommy and Tommy needed Bob in order to flourish. As @GodBlessTinyTim noted, Tommy's vocals are a little different. I find them to be more subdued on a number of songs.

Certain tracks feature Tommy's brother Glynn Duncan. Glynn perished more recently (back in 2013), but assuming that he left behind a relatively small body of recorded work, it made sense to include it with Tommy's recordings since both artists played on the material.

Glynn Duncan making a special appearance

The Killer likes this.
  19. melstapler

"That Wild But Wicked Wonderful West" is an enjoyable western concept album from start to finish and the production was quite interesting for its time. I'm assuming it wasn't intentional, but Johnny Bond didn't allow himself to be confined to a particular sound or style. His comedy material is good for what it is, but it's far more rewarding to listen to his non-novelty material.

'The Fool's Paradise' from "That Wild But Wicked Wonderful West" LP/CD

McLover and Rick Bartlett like this.
  20. melstapler

Definitely. We need more artist-focused box sets and 1CDs.

The Capitol LP "Great Songs Of The Delmore Bros." by Merle Travis and Johnny Bond from 1969 demonstrates the versatility of Bond and his numerous projects

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You are missing out, big time.

melstapler likes this.
  22. melstapler

We should each join forces to start a gray market label and call it Tribute. We could still have the same cheap artwork with low resolution graphics, but unlike most shady gray market labels with poor sound and tracks sourced from mp3, we'd use the best possible sources with well-written biographical information in the style of BF.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

We all are. :D

24. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I have this lp, and wish it were on cd.

melstapler likes this.
  25. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

I got 2 different versions of this.One a copy made in England.One made in Norway.Called:they call me--Boxcar Willie.
    We want a cd box with Boxcar Willie!

Rick Bartlett and melstapler like this.