Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. PeterH

PeterH Forum Resident

There's a copy of Secret Love (which seems to be out of print currently) for $69 at dustygroove at the moment, which is a good deal I think.

maloney likes this.
  2. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

thank you I have snapped up that bargain with 40 dollars postage to Australia still a good bargain .cheers

3. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Judge Judy and melstapler like this.
  4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

How about a comprehensive set on Cal Smith!
    The only decent release I can find is a 2-fer on the Hux label.
    Been spinning a couple of his Lp's today, and went looking for a decent CD collection.
    To my surprise! nothing!
    Ya hearin' me Bear?
    [​IMG]

5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Weird! Rick, we both must be telepathic as I was just listening to the Hux twofer yesterday. We desperately need a comprehensive box set, considering that many of his albums have never been reissued in any format. Why the "Drinking Champagne" LP hasn't been released on CD is a mystery and a crime.

6. melstapler

'Drinking Champagne' as recorded by Cal Smith for Kapp. This great song was written by Bill Mack. I got to meet Bill about 5+ years ago, he was in the audience at a Johnny Bush concert.

[​IMG]
    Legendary songwriter Bill Mack, author of the song 'Drinking Champagne'

7. Rick Bartlett

Ha! Yeah I was just sifting through a bunch of LP's I picked up for next to nothing and pulled out a
    Cal album. Thoroughly enjoyed it and went looking for a bit more on CD.
    I don't have that Hux release yet, but thought it was strange that even 'country bumpkin', the lp
    has not seen a cd release even in a 2-fer.
    To be honest, I don't know that much or heard that much of Cal Smith, you don't really see his albums
    often here in Australia.
    I always enjoy his vocal drawl singin' though.
    (YouTube is my dear friend :winkgrin:)

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  8. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

I have never heard of "HUX " have they put much out of the good ole music ?

melstapler likes this.
  9. Rick Bartlett

Yes, they have a website.
    Hux Records - classic,rock,pop,BBC archive radio sessions on CD album
    I have Tom T Hall, Johnny Paycheck, Don Williams releases and they are great!
    Plenty more I need to get, but in my opinion, they are definitely of great quality.
    Highly recommend.

maloney and melstapler like this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

I hope the OP Mr GodBlessTinyTim is ok with me bringing in other acts not directly associated with
    Bear Family. I would start new threads on guys like 'Cal Smith', but they would end up being lost
    and forgotten, and I think Bear Family has a great hand in keeping these guys alive and to the public.
    If my suggestions are not on topic and not direct enough, I understand, and will direct them elsewhere.
    I try to put associated artists into the same threads instead of staring new ones if I can help it, especially
    if I think those of us like minded would appreciate it.
    Anyways.... just wanted to be sure and put out my concerns in this wonderful thread.

11. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Faron Young, Roy Drusky, Connie Smith, Gene Watson etc and of course a fantastic Stoney Edwards twofer.

12. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

There’s a ton of UnBear stuff here and it’s all good, it’s the ‘go to’ all encompassing country and rock n roll thread.

13. melstapler

Definitely. You've probably seen Cal Smith either credited on a number of albums or shown in some of the Ernest Tubb live video performances. I believe he's also in the lineup featured on the live 1965 1CD released by Rhino. Both Cal and Jack Greene were championed by ET, who was very supportive of his band and treated them like family.
    [​IMG]
    Cal Smith (front left bottom holding guitar) and Jack Greene (top center above drum kit)

14. melstapler

I recall listening to a classic country station while sitting in front of a Target store back in 2013 and hearing the announcement that Cal had perished. Never got to see him live as Cal had been largely inactive as a touring artist for a number of years prior to his death. Despite this, Cal has been criminally overlooked by reissue labels and younger country music fans alike.

Aside from the Hux 1CD twofer and a rather short 1CD best of compilation, there isn't much else available. However, Cal did some later sessions which included a mixture of faithful re-recordings and some new material. I believe some of the tracks from these sessions were used on Cal's comeback album "Stories Of Life," which was released by Step One Records. Gusto has re-released most of this material on a 1CD which is fairly common and I recommend this to everyone who enjoys Cal's earlier work. The production on these later recordings is of a high quality and Cal remained in good voice, even in his later years.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

'Together Alone'

15. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Doesn't bother me at all. Even I post about non-Bear releases from time to time.
    Does anyone know if Hux sources their releases from master tapes? Asking because their output reminds me of Hump Head Records, who supposedly often use vinyl dubs to dubious results.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  16. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

I've contributed to a few Hux releases (Incredible String Band, Dr. Strangely Strange) and they are very careful and meticulous to only use the best available original masters. Restoration and mastering is often done by the great Ben Wiseman.
    I can remember one instance when there was a sticker on a master tape box which read something like "Last opening February 1970" – this was for an album that had recently been reissued and apparently been "remastered from the original master tapes"! :rolleyes:

Hux releases also often have comprehensive booklets with 40 pages or so.

RSteven, maloney, melstapler and 7 others like this.
  17. Rick Bartlett

found some new country music interviews recently uploaded and not seen before.
    Here's the Waylon one:

18. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

melstapler likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

i was in the back room of Bop City Records in Seattle and saw a vintage signed photo of Lefty Frizzell on the wall

Rick Bartlett and melstapler like this.
  21. GodBlessTinyTim

Svein Arne likes this.
  22. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Svein Arne likes this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

Tommy Scott (7) - Tommy Scott -- Early Recordings

Pretty much the only one on the market, part of the Collector label's Boppin' Hillbilly Series. Tommy Scott ran what has been called the last original travelling medicine show. His troupe featured musicians, comedians, ventriloquists, blackface minstrels, and trunks full of patent tonics with names like Herb-O-Lac.

The Killer and Svein Arne like this.
  24. Svein Arne

25. melstapler

Hi @Mychael do you speak to Hank Davis very often? In addition to his work on the Bear Family projects, his own career as a recording artist and performer is also very dear to my heart. Would love it if Hank were to release some new material in the near future.

[​IMG]
    The Hank Davis 1CD comp on Bear Family
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The legend himself
    [​IMG]
    Hank & The Electras
    [​IMG]