Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Whoops, meant to say the Buena Vista CD has two non-consecutive albums. Always mix those words up for some reason.

Anyway, Johnny Seay's Blue Moon of Kentucky CD is on the way. It must have been fate that his name was homonymous with "Johnny C."

melstapler and Svein Arne like this.
  2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

I hope that Bear family will release more with Johnny Seay::wantsome:
    Johnny Seay Behind My Baby's Bedroom Door 1967 A

3. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Amazon UK having a bit of a clear out maybe, picked up Hank Locklin Send Me The Pillow and Faron Young Classic Years for about half price what you your expect to pay. Been after that Faron one for years and with the Hank one at £27 it would be rude not to.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Right now, especially for customers in the USA, Amazon UK is the very best place to get the George Jones Starday boxset, as it is NOT exported to any USA dealers. The bargain on Amazon UK, after they automatically delete the tax and add shipping is only about $116, with shipping. That is a bargain for the rare 6CD set with hardcover book.

The Korean War set is also a bargain in USA, $74 with shipping included.

If you search Amazon UK, put Bear Family box set in the search. Many boxes are bargains, many are standard price. Remember, they delete the tax, so actual price is lower. You can proceed all the way to the last "place order" step to see actual price with shipping. If you don't like the price, just close the page.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  6. The Killer

If you don't like the price buy it anyway.

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Charge it to The Killer! They won't need an address. The Killer's credit is good everywhere.

The Killer likes this.
  8. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Just received one of their Bonnie Guitar CDs, Intimate Session...I like it! Now I've ordered a couple of their other Bonnie Guitar releases

An intimate session with one of the unheralded greats of country music! Sexy, sultry, and riveting! A previously unissued 1959 session arranged and produced by one of the era's top songwriters, Don Robertson. In 1957, Bonnie Guitar recorded the haunting original version of Dark Moon. Two years later, she signed with RCA VICTOR and recorded several sessions with a small band of Los Angeles session veterans, augmented by voices on one session, and strings on another. The result was some of the most blissfully poignant vocals ever committed to tape. On a par with Julie London, Peggy Lee, or any of the era's finest female artists. Singing in her languid ultra-lounge style and playing her white Gretsch Country Club guitar, Bonnie brought her distinctive, sultry vocal style to songs that were originally hits for The Ink Spots (Maybe) and Sanford Clark (The Fool); plus newer material from young songwriters like Hal David, Jeff Barry, and Harlan Howard. To that, she added a couple of her own originals. Four of these sides were released as singles; the rest remained unreleased in their original form until now. With new input from Bonnie Guitar, Todd Everett's liner notes tell the whole story.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe this has been posted before. Though I have the Cochran box, I have not checked if this has any new stuff.

Does anyone else know?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  10. The Killer

Dang I just accidentally bought the Louvin Brothers Close Harmony box. Somebody stop me...

Rick Bartlett, Reader and RSteven like this.
  11. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Accidentally? Because you already had it?

If not then this is beyond essential material, friend. You NEEDED it.

baptistbusman and The Killer like this.
  12. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

You’re going to need this book, too: Satan Is Real: The Ballad Of The Louvin Brothers. Charlie shares a ton of stories from their beginnings as boys in churches and on farms right up to the very end.

:hide:

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

14. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It would be great to get the brothers’ solo material wrapped up in one nice package.

DR.J, Svein Arne and melstapler like this.
  15. The Killer

melstapler and Mr. H like this.
  16. The Killer

You can see why Ira turned out the way he did, what a tough life for a kid, gritty reading.

melstapler and Mr. H like this.
  17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just bought their highly regarded Christmas album after reading a stellar recommendation for it on another Christmas blog site. Wow, I am well over 300 holiday CD's now. Looking forward to the Real Gone Music holiday slate coming out on November 2 and November 9, especially John Klein's A Christmas Sound Spectacular that I wrote the liner notes for. It is already up for pre-order on Amazon and will soon be added to the RGM site as well for pre-order. I believe that Bear Family has another stellar Christmas collection coming out as well this year IIRC.

melstapler, Mr. H and The Killer like this.
  18. The Killer

I love that Christmas CD, every year it gets a blast, I think the rest of the family must love it too by now.

That Real Gone set isn't on Amazon UK yet as far as I can see, I keep checking as I really need that.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Here is the Amazon USA link and picture of the twofer CD so you will know what it looks like as well. It also includes his very fine second "bells" album as well.

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GW4MFDP/?tag=imwan-20

Svein Arne, melstapler and Mr. H like this.
  20. Reader

Reader Senior Member

You'll love it. Wonderful music!!

melstapler likes this.
  21. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

22. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

earlier this year I put aside a couple grand to buy new bear box releases in 2018 but have only bought one box (Korea). I guess I'll wait to see if anything comes out in 2019...

melstapler likes this.
  23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Johnny was great. I believe one of his daughters posted on this forum, a while after his death. Think he was flying a crop duster which crashed.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

'Killer' you have sinned! Lucky I am here to bless you my son. In order of your forgiveness and to sleep well at night,
    you must re-send your soon to be acquired Louvin set, to a location in Australia, details forthcoming.
    Trust in me my child, and the good Lord will forgive you of this outrage from within.
    :rolleyes:

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

The great Jerry Lee, this guy still has something about him that is wonderful even at 81.