Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I met Johnny, he was very pleasant and signed my CD's. I saw him at a small club with a 'pick up band' quite clearly,
    but he was quite entertaining. Nice fella!

RSteven and The Killer like this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

You can't go wrong with Gene Vincent or Johnny Tillotson.
    Here's my favorite song written and recorded by Johnny.

RSteven, The Killer and Rick Bartlett like this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

My favourite for some reason is this one, I think it's the string arrangement...

4. darling

darling Senior Member

That's on my 'buy if it's cheap' list. Was this a one-off or is it on sale somewhere?

melstapler likes this.
  5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I saw him at Disneyland in Anaheim back in the mid-70's when he was in the middle of his hit run. He had a pretty big band as I recall, a full set of female back-up singers and dressed like Elvis in a white jumpsuit. He put on a fine show, and although he sure did not have Elvis's vocal range, he was a decent singer and a great showman.

melstapler likes this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I love that song and performance by Johnny, but I also dig Elvis's great remake of it on his stupendous From Elvis In Memphis album.

melstapler likes this.
  7. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

It was a one off, sorry darling!

melstapler and darling like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was sitting here waiting for the contributions to roll in from supporters here on the Bear Thread, when suddenly, I had a hot flash in my right leg. My pocket was burning. I reached in and pulled my wallet out and almost burned my hand.

So I quickly ordered the new Lefty Box from Bullmoose Records.

I put an ice pack on the credit card and the room filled with steam. It feels good. Now, all I got is time, and bills to pay.

9. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

melstapler likes this.
  11. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Aren't ALL releases "limited" in some way? It doesn't say "numbered limited edition" or something similar. If it doesn't sell, there'll be enough copies in stock for years, and if it's a big (and quick) seller, they'll be seriously thinking about manufacturing another run.

12. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

What boxes is the 10 best selling Bear Family produced boxes to date?

RSteven, The Killer and melstapler like this.
  13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very exciting news! John Blair is great and his group Jon & The Nightriders were extremely enjoyable. Energetic surf bands were largely silenced by dinosaur rock during the 1970s, but the 1980s brought a renewed interest to the genre and Jon & The Nightriders have maintained a devout cult following. The simpleton in me always said their style was something similar to combining the approach of Dick Dale and The Ventures. Their longtime drummer Dusty Watson went on to tour in Dick Dale's band for a number of years.
    [​IMG]
    Jon & The Nightriders have been notoriously difficult to locate on CD, Dusty was able to find me a copy of one disc they released about 20 years ago. The spin-off band Slacktone featured both Dusty and Dave Wronski from Jon & The Nightriders and I've seen them perform as well. When I met Dave, I asked him how he had access to so many neat custom Fender guitars and it turned out he was employed by Fender and may still be to this very day. Also, I was glad to hear that John Blair is still living and remains active as an artist.
    [​IMG]
    The Ray Campi connection is also very interesting, had no idea Blair's roots were in rockabilly and also bluegrass. Looking at Youtube, it appears as though Jon & The Nightriders have played some reunion shows.

[​IMG]
    Disc: 1
    1. Honky Tonk Man
    2. Ole Slew Foot
    3. I'm Coming Home
    4. Don't Get Pushy
    5. Rumble At Waikiki
    6. Ali Baba
    7. Suicide Bay
    8. Depth Charge
    9. Rumble At Waikiki - Live
    10. The Nightrider - Live
    11. Star Palace Radio Commercial (poss. Radio Station KKDJ) - Fresno, CA
    12. (I Think I'm) Surfing Japanese
    13. Splashback! (Medley) -James Bond Theme-Batman-Pipeline-Apache-Walk Don't Run-Wipe Out-Telstar-Peter Gunn Theme-Misirlou-Tequila-Ring Of Fire-Runaway-Red River Valley-High Noon-El Paso-Wheels-Rebel Rouser
    14. Charge Of The Nightriders - William Tell Overture
    15. Geronimo
    16. Storm Dancer
    17. Beneath The Reef
    18. Thunder Over Rincon - Live
    19. Banzai Washout - Live
    20. Amor Del Mar
    21. Rev-Up!
    22. Moon Tide
    23. Boogie Board
    24. Cabazon
    25. Molokai Cocktail
    26. Moving Target

Disc: 2
    1. Bombay Beach/Bombora - Live
    2. Moon Cricket - Live
    3. Horror Hayride - Live
    4. The Force Of Gravity - Live
    5. Free Fall
    6. Balsa Chica
    7. Spookfish - Demo
    8. Slipstream - Demo
    9. Cat Fight
    10. Albufera Stomp
    11. Dune Buggy - Live
    12. Storm Surf/Wipe Out (Coda) - Live
    13. Vaquero
    14. Indian Nation
    15. Adventures In Paradise
    16. Clink Clink Classic
    17. Panic Button
    18. Gandy Dancer
    19. March Of The Fiberglass Soldiers
    20. Blue Fire
    21. Amor Del Mar
    22. Find Me A Golden Street
    23. Almost Paradise
    24. Evermore
    25. Bulldog
    26. Come Softly To Me - Coda

14. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Mr. Blair wrote the liner notes ("June 2018") in the 64-page booklet. And the last two tracks are from 2017 (from the 10th Annual Surf Guitar Convention, Alpine Village, California).

Marty T, RSteven and melstapler like this.
  15. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

I don't have the numbers but not the ones we would expect. Probably something like the "Bonanza" or the "Insulaner" boxes.

16. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

I was thinkin it must be Johnny Cash or Bobby Bare ,Jerry Lee would be bestsellers.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I would assume Jim Reeves' Welcome To My World would fall easily into Bear Family's top ten best selling box sets ever.

Jarleboy and melstapler like this.
  18. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I would actually think the opposite, just because it's so big and expensive. I would only expect total hardcore Jim Reeves fans to want to splash out for it.

spanky1 likes this.
  19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You could very well be right, but it definitely sold out completely on its initial run and perhaps a second printing as it is only available on the secondary market and at even higher prices now than when it was originally issued.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The fact that they had earlier issued a 4CD Jim Reeves box with the absolute cream of his recordings probably discouraged many potential buyers of the 16 CD box, especially at well over $300 from most dealers. The fact that a pressing sold out does not mean it sold the most.

However, Jim Reeves is certainly among the most popular artists worldwide that Bear Family has covered.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

From his own dealing, @cdwolf has commented somewhere on the sets that he sold the most.

Judge Judy and melstapler like this.
  22. The big Jim Reeves' set rarely even comes up for sale these days on various marketplaces.

RSteven likes this.
  23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Brilliant set, too. Amazing sound and wonderful music.

24. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ordered Eddie Cletro's Flying Saucer Boogie today. I'd held off because I already have many of the other artists' tracks on which he's featured, but most of the dozen-or-so songs under his own name seem pretty solid as well.