Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

Well, he should make a monetary contribution to Bear Family, like maybe a million or two.

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

The set is beautifully produced by the way, the case looks amazingly genuine. Incredible set.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

4. Rick Bartlett

5. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

These must be in museums/universities somewhere:
    Bristol sessions cd box - YouTube

Various The Johnson City Sessions, 1928 1929 Can You Sing Or Play Old Time Music BCD16083
    Various Black Europe The Sounds And Images Of Black People In Europe pre 1927 BCD16095

Mr. H and melstapler like this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

That picture definitely looks like it is from the Bear Family facility. I doubt Paul keeps his in the basement workshop. I wonder what happened to Chuck's copy?

melstapler likes this.
  8. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Bristol, Knoxville and Johnson City all have major annual celebrations for these sessions, with the Bear Family boxes well on display (and available to citizens at discount price). Johnson City recently produced a T-shirt with the box cover.

DR.J, The Killer, melstapler and 4 others like this.
  9. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

The guitar case was custom-made for Bear Family (with special inlays and pockets for the boxes and the bonus stuff) by the Gibson company in the US.

melstapler likes this.
  10. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

11. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

I'm fairly certain Chuck was still alive when it was released. I assume he got one. And Bob Dylan might have put in an advance order. I hope Brian Wilson ordered a set (even the regular edition), as he copped much of Berry's style.

melstapler likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

I wonder how many of the Bear Family sets came with a poster of some sort. I cannot remember. But I just opened to play the Memphis Belles box, and it has a great two-sided large poster reviewing in great detail, the reissues of Sun Records on Bear Family. It's a promo piece that is very well done.

[​IMG]

13. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Liked this song in the Korea box set today!

melstapler likes this.
  14. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Willie Nelson performing live at Panther Hall. Probably late 60s due to Paul English on drums. Paul played with him since the 1950s, but didn't become Willie's full-time drummer until 1966.
    [​IMG]

15. Rick Bartlett

Great shot! I'm guessing 69', using one of his well now used and well worn Baldwin amps.

RSteven, Svein Arne and melstapler like this.
  16. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

17. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

They have the Bear Family Roy Acuff box listed for $170.00 (appears to be in stock).

melstapler and Mr. H like this.
  18. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Funny, my copy didn't include that poster. Fascinating set by the way, if a bit less consistent than the average Sun Records collection. Barbara Pittman should have made it much bigger than she did.

melstapler likes this.
  19. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Forum Resident

When you add it to your cart, it says it's back ordered. I thought I finally got one!

melstapler likes this.
  20. Rick Bartlett

For those who have further interest in 'Trigger', this is pretty cool to watch:

melstapler likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

part 2

melstapler likes this.
  22. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Huh, my order went through. I even got a confirmation email.

Now I'm worried that I'll get a cancellation.

23. hotshotskings

24. hotshotskings

25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Here's a Jack Scott recording not included on the comprehensive Bear Family box set, because it was a new recording he made specifically for a compilation on Curb. It's a shame that Jack didn't release more material during the 1990s, because this version is excellent.

Jack Scott's enjoyable country-oriented version of the Roy Orbison hit 'Running Scared'
    [​IMG]
    A photo of Jack Scott (far right) in 1990