Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

And here's the 2018 list of Bear Family releases:

7“ Vinyl:
    BLE 012 Lonnie LaCour: Rock’n’Roll Romance
    BLE 020 Dale Hawkins: Boogie Woogie Teenage Girl

10“ Vinyl:
    BAF 14001 Glen Glenn: Pick ‚em Up And Lay ‚em Down
    BAF 14003 Boom! Boom! Deluxe
    BAF 14004 Hank Williams: The Lonesome Sound Of Hank Williams
    BAF 14005 Eddie Cochran: The Year 1957 (Double with booklet)
    BAF 14007 Tex Harper: Dig Me Little Mama
    10“ Limited Vinyl:
    BAF 11013 Fats Domino: Teenage Party With Mr. Domino
    BAF 11014 Buddy Holly: Countrywise
    BAF 11015 Tony Crombie & His Rockets: Rockin’ With The Rockets
    BAF 11016 Brenda Lee
    BAF 11017 Vince Taylor: Le Rock C’est Ça!
    BAF 11019 Gene Vincent: A Gene Vincent Record Date

12“ Vinyl:
    BAF 18041 Dale Hawkins: L.A., Memphis & Tyler, Texas
    BAF 18042 Johnny Hallyday: Shake The Hand Of A Fool (Double with booklet)
    BAF 18046 The Petards: A Deeper Blue
    BAF 18047 The Petards
    BAF 18048 The Petards: Hitshock
    BAF 18049 The Petards: Pet Arts

CDs:
    BCD 17370 At The Louisiana Hayride Tonight (2017, actually…)
    BCD 17513 Banana Split For My Baby
    BCD 17518 Battleground Korea
    BCD 17531 The Bill Haley Conecction
    BCD 17532 John Blair: Rumble At Waikiki
    BCD 17534 The Shadow Knows
    BCD 17536 Champion Jack Dupree Rocks
    BCD 17540 Lefty Frizzell: An Article From Life
    BCD 17548 Ray Anthony: Rock Around The Rockpile
    BCD 17550 She’s Selling What She Used To Give Away
    BCD 17554 Eddie Cochran: The Year 1957
    BCD 17564 That’ll Flat Git It Vol. 29
    BCD 17565 The Complete Cochran Brothers
    BCD 17566 That’ll Flat Git It Vol. 30
    BCD 17567 That’ll Flat Git It Vol. 31
    BCD 17568 Hank Cochran: Sally Was A Good Old Girl
    BCD 17577 Swingin’ Little Christmas

Cree:
    CLP 1214 Andre Tanker Five: Afro Blossom West
    CLP 1229 Modern Soul Quartet: Otinku (Vinyl LP)
    CRS 509 Michael Boothman: Tabu (7“)
    CRS 512 Paul Leston: Let’s Party Tonight (12“)
    CRS 513 Michael Boothman: Can’t Stop Dancing (12“)
    CRS 517 Tropical Tricks (12“)

2. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

And if you're wondering what Richard Weize's been doing the last two years – he's released 22 CDs, a 5-disc set, 2 LPs and 11 ten-inch EPs on his RWA label, plus 30 albums from the SESAC archive, two Lee Hazlewood demo sessions, and 11 reissues of Buffalo Bop rockabilly compilations on his And More Bears label.

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Lazy! ;)

Surprising isn't it, that's a lot of releases between BF and RWA, put a lot of bigger labels to shame.

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Got to find out more about this and buy something.:pleased::tiphat:

melstapler likes this.
  5. Svein Arne

Where is volume 3 and 4 in the CD serie Talkin on the telephone?
    Can read about these in Vol 1 and 2.o_O

6. Svein Arne

I have looked at Richard Weize Archive site.
    What is the 5 cd box?
    The site is not updated.:sigh:

melstapler likes this.
  7. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

baptistbusman and melstapler like this.
  8. Svein Arne

I got that.Amazing sound.Great release.

melstapler and Mychael like this.
  9. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I love his early funny material:

Reader and RSteven like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My opinion is that if you love the pure honky tonk sound of the Hank Williams era, let's say pre 1955, then you must buy the Ray Price box. It is the only way to get much of that material unless you spend tons of time collecting the now rare originals

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Mychael, we all want a Johnny Paycheck collection, yet as much as we 'door knock' we never seem
    to get or see anything in print or even discussed as to why 'Bear' doesn't seem interested.
    Can you offer any insight? or do I have to keep going on like a broken record?
    :rolleyes:

melstapler likes this.
  13. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I would normally agree, but this set leaves a bad taste in my mouth. There are too many songs that have omitted background vocals, namely “Heartaches by the Number,” “Under Your Spell Again,” and “Same Old Me.” Im sure there are other more deep cuts missing vocals also. And some songs are missing steel guitar thatbwas in the originals, such as “Maiden’s Prayer.”

It’s amazing with how picky everyone is on this forum about sound, complaining about cdr’s, compression, and everything else they haven’t noticed that a major artist’s big songs have been reissued omitting vocals and instruments. It’s almost like a gag order has been placed on this subject.

Ray Price Bear Family Cd set - mssing vocals? - The Steel Guitar Forum

Someone was kind enough to send me a link to this forum where it is being discussed back in 2000.

Where the final masters used not the actual masters? Just curious. I sold off all my Ray Price CDs when I bought this set, and now I don’t thave the final masters that I remember.

spanky1 likes this.
  14. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Co-sign 100%.

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I am forgetting the details of Ray Price's discography. Weren't those tracks that concern you from the later sessions in the box, i.e. those that were first issued on LP? I am guessing, but those background vocals etc were probably not present at the original session, but were added later (though before the record issue)

My own preference with almost any recording is to have the raw tracks as first recorded in the studio (no overdubbed instruments or voices).

I'm glad you have the box. I like the very earliest Ray best, before the era of overdub/multitrack recording. You can always add the issues with the background vocals to your collection.

No Bear Family box is perfect. Many of them have the stereo issues but not the mono issues. Often the stereo of those days was poor, with such things as voices on one side, the rhythm on the other. Terrible!

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  16. Svein Arne

Here is a early stereo recording.This got the stereo 100%perfect.Not all is terrible:

turnersmemo and Reader like this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Capitol often, but not always, did a better job

18. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I emailed County Sales to see how much longer for the set to come in. I was told they were notified yesterday that it had shipped to them and they expect it in 5-7 days.

Kevin55 likes this.
  19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I could watch this all day long! My mother and I heard Yesterday When I Was Young on the radio when I was about 12 and it became one of my families all time favorite songs. My brother always noted the fact that in the beginning spoken part he says, "Thats why I feel so old before my time," meaning despite the title of the song, the guy singing it was not really all that old, but obviously felt like life had passed him by by his own bad choices that he took in a sort of hedonistic path. Still, one of my all time favorite entertainers. I loved that live album that he cut at the Landmark Hotel in Las Vegas, where he does fantastic live versions of both The Great Pretender and Yesterday When I Was Young.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  20. Reader

Reader Senior Member

That's a nice Kingston Trio song.

How are the Bear Family Kingston Trio boxes?

Also, back in the 1970's Goldmine magazine was excellent with much info that wasn't available anywhere else. Of course the internet killed that but I remember a series of articles about the Kingston Trio releases. Does anyone know if these were ever available other than in the magazine? Is there a collection of them, the articles, floating around on the internet anywhere? I'd really like to get the entire series to reread after all these years.

21. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I keep debating if i want to pay 100 bucks for each Little Darlin' cd but then I imagine there could be an upcoming box set on Johnny Paycheck so I end up canceling

22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I received my Lefty Frizzel An Article From Life box set and it is an absolute beauty to behold. The Amazon Prime price guarantee came to around $212.00, so I am thrilled to death. I have barely had time to just take in the sheer weight and beauty of the book and everything inside. I hope to get to some samples tomorrow, but this has to be one of the top two or three greatest looking box sets I have ever seen in my life. It reminds me of The Complete Elvis Presley Masters that I paid over $750.00 for in 2010. Wow, what a beauty and to me the price was more than fair for all you get in the package.

23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Happy to read this. Lefty deserves it.

melstapler, The Killer and RSteven like this.
  24. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I'm glad I snapped up those discs when they came out but they're nothing special sound-wise, they're hastily flung together comps that don't do any justice to his catalogue. The LP's are a better way to own the Little Darlin' material in my opinion. A Bear set of his would be wonderful (as I've mentioned a million times) but I don't hold out any hope, I think he's too niche even for Bear, although really I'm not sure if that logic applies to Bear.

25. Svein Arne

Be careful with the box that is around the set.It does not take much to ruin a corner.That is the only fault i can find.Looks amazing and got amazing sound.:pineapple:

melstapler, RSteven and Rick Bartlett like this.