Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Favorite boxes: The two Nat King Cole sets.

Favorite single CD from Bear Family is the often-overlooked gem "How The West Was Won." It was originally issued by RCA as a double-album before it went, and stayed, out of print. Bear Family released it, complete, on a single CD, replicating the deluxe booklet that came with the original album. There isn't a bum track on this album, which was inspired a series of articles in Life magazine. Those same articles also inspired the film of the same name. (Some people mistakenly refer to this album as a soundtrack. It's not. This RCA album preceded the movie. It has little in common with the film soundtrack on MGM Records.)

[​IMG]

HappyFingers and The Killer like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Clark,
    Thank you for all you have done for the legacy of Sam Cooke!

3. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

You're absolutely right. Even Webb had much more material than covered in the box set.

4. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Anita Carter - Appalachian Angel
    Louvin Brothers - Close Harmony
    Lefty Frizzell - Life's Like Poetry
    The Dolly and Porter box

I also have a question. I've been hearing for a few years now that they're going to "re-do" the Lefty Frizzell box somehow. Is this actually going to happen, and if so, how are they going to re-do it?

Mr. H likes this.
  5. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Though not a Bear Family pressing, how can you argue with the paper panties that came with Alice Coopers "Schools Out" ! It's not art but, it is fun stuff.

6. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Bear Family have re-done the JOHNNY HORTON Box.

Every Johnny Horton recording. Every issued recording on every label! Every unissued recording! Every alternate take! Every known demo! All the overdub sessions! Several rare radio interviews! And more!
    • In all, 9 CDs!
    • Includes Horton’s first record. Only one copy is known to exist!
    • Includes two 288-page hardcover books! One is an exhaustive biography by Colin Escott with a complete discography and hundreds of photos, many previously unpublished. The other is a book about Johnny Horton, handwritten by his mother in the months after his death, never seen before until now!
    • All completely remastered for unbelievably clear, vibrant sound.
    Late October 2014 release

http://www.bear-family.de/blog/Bear...cordings-9-cd-box-coming-soon-on-bear-family/

And soon they are re-doing JERRY LEE LEWIS - SUN BOX.

This box will include 18 cd"s,with a load of out takes that have never been used on other JLL Sun box set.

http://postimg.org/image/vdt7t5223/

They seem to be getting stuff that was not around the 1st time these box"s were done and this is them doing un - update of said box"s.

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Another poster in this thread who assists Bear Family confirmed that Bear will reissue the Lefty Frizzell box, which is now out of print (one of the rare cases of an OOP BF box). Though no details were stated (except that it is expected this year or next year), it seems clear that the book will be a hard cover book, and will probably be expanded, at least with more photos. I dream of the possibility that some of Lefty's vintage radio shows were saved on transcription, but have no idea if that is the case. I doubt that many alternate takes survive, but I can dream about that too. Lefty deserves to be placed at the very top of all country singers, and is one of Richard Weize's favorites - so it is certain that a reissue will occur

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Did you try those panties on? I did, and they ripped the first time.

9. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Could not agree more. The previous Lefty set is the cream of the cop. I look forward to seeing how/if they'll be updating it.

10. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Could the sound get better?

11. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

No but, my girlfriend at the time did and they survived.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I just hope it is enough for me to rationalize buying it all over again. More photos are nice, but I already know what Lefty looked like. I hope there are unreleased transcriptions out there. For me, Lefty's vocal style was incredible, and many many artists derived their style from him. He was at his best in his youngest years, but who isn't?

Maybe I'll book a reservation at a very expensive restaurant, and then cancel it and spend the money I saved on the new Lefty box. That is the kind of rationalizing that collectors always use.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    melstapler, Kkfan and Mr. H like this.
  13. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Of the few boxes I have, several have not been mentioned - Jack Scott, The Browns, and Brenda Lee.

But I like some of the singles - Foreign Affairs, One More Record Please, 1000 Nadelstiche, and quite a few more.

14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Ricky Nelson - The American Dream: The Complete Imperial and Verve Recordings 1957-1963
    Eddie Cochran - Somethin' Else! The Ultimate Collection
    The Everly Brothers - The Price of Fame: 1960-1965

Darryl

15. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Three sevenths of the Orbison box is excellent.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  16. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

No, I was going to ask you the same question! Sadly, both of my Horton books were mixed up about 10 years ago. As for your Marty Robbins book, glad to hear it was rescued! Your story made me laugh so hard, I sprayed coffee onto the keyboard!! Perhaps the policemen would have been more apt to assist you in the rescue if the book had been about a rowdy modern country singer.

The Killer likes this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The question I need to ask myself is: "If a beautiful woman had fallen into that canal instead of my Marty Robbins Bear Family book, would I have climbed down into the bridge supports to rescue her, or would I have run off (with my Bear Family box tucked under my arm) to look for a policeman?"

melstapler likes this.
  18. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Especially in the age of public-domain recordings, a big part of the value is the care they put into the packaging, presentation, and research. For instance, while another label has released Charlie Rich's Sun recordings for roughly a quarter of the price, that set comes in a little clamshell box with relatively meagre annotation.

Also glad they haven't resorted to "novelty" packaging for any box sets. I rarely find myself listening to Rhino's fantastic Beg, Scream & Shout: The Big Ol' Box of 60's Soul because getting out the CDs and following the track information on cue cards is such a hassle. While the cardboard digipaks BF now uses for single-disc releases feels like a step down from jewel cases, it was obviously necessary to house their 50+ page booklets. I remember the booklets for their ...And the Answer Is series were so thick, they needed double jewel cases.

Mr. H and melstapler like this.
  19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Another excellent collection is the single-disc and complete box set by Wynn Stewart. The unique Bakersfield country sound of Wynn Stewart was made by possible by steel guitarist Ralph Mooney, who later went on to join Waylon Jennings' band in 1970 and remained with him for the next couple decades. The arguable prime of both Wynn and Waylon's recordings is their work with Mooney. 'Rainy Day Woman' nicely showcases what I consider the trademark Mooney sound.

Cousin It and Mr. H like this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Does that single disc Wynn Stewart contain much that is not on the box?

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is what I'd like: A high quality slipcase designed for each of the "Annual" series (Blowin the Fuse, Streetcorner Symphonies, Thick Smoke, Sweet Soul Music, etc.) Thick Smoke would require two slipcases (13 CDs each). I know that you can make a custom case, but I wish BF would make them, even if for a charge. High quality, not flimsy.

22. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

The (Texas) Frankie Miller set is sublime.

melstapler and Mr. H like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There is a single CD on BF that complements that set

melstapler and sirwallacerock like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It seems to me that Bear Family could market these whole "slipcased" sets to people who can afford to put the money out (or may be enticed to), and then sell the empty slipcase (with filler) to old faithful customers or those who need to approach the series a little at a time (or help serve to encourage completion). Can someone with connections forward this unoriginal idea?

melstapler likes this.
  25. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

I'm well aware. I have everything Frankie has done. The earlier stuff doesn't do it for me, just the Starday, UA and Stop material.

melstapler likes this.