Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

My first set was Hank Snow, Singing Ranger, Vol. 1. :)

2. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I have the three Everly Brothers boxsets and the studio outtakes disc. That's all, so there probably my favourites!!

Philip

HappyFingers likes this.
  3. CLUDY

CLUDY Member

Also mine was "Singing Ranger vol. 1" in late 1991! The first single cd was Don Gibson's "Legend in my time" always in 1991.

Kkfan likes this.
  4. CLUDY

CLUDY Member

I have more than 180 Bear box-sets and thousands of their single cds and dvds... probably for me the favorite of all is Jim Reeves' 16 cds box-set (just because I am a great Reeves' fan)!

Mr. H and Kkfan like this.
  5. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Isn't that the Star Club, rather than the Cavern Club?

6. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Opps! You're right. Case of thinking one thing and typing another!:oops: Different countries as well. Yikes!

7. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

"Nashville was the Roughest" Willie Nelson

bstone1994, Mr. H and Kkfan like this.
  8. Rob Jones

Rob Jones New Member

The Hank Snow Thesauraus Transcriptions box set ... recorded at Hank's home studio, so rather more relaxed in feel than the rather than the formal studio recordings - and including several tracks he never recorded commercially ... nice mix of songs and instrumentals, with just the Rainbow Ranch Boys - no Nashville frills!

Mr. H and Kkfan like this.
  9. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

:yikes:

You're not gonna believe this, but I bought my Hank Snow also in late 1991 and my favorite of the Bear box sets is also Jim Reeves!!
    How cool is that? :edthumbs:

CLUDY likes this.
  10. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

You're absolutely right. I like that box better than the Singing Ranger box.

11. Rob Jones

Rob Jones New Member

Also:
    The Browns "The Three Bells" - sublime 'Feel good' country!
    Bill Clifton: Around The World To Poor County - superb bluegrass collection, easier-on-the-ear than most bluegrass.
    Rex Griffin -"The Last Letter" - some great guitar!
    Hank Snow - all four Singing Ranger box sets (although Thesaurus Transcriptions is my No. 1)

Mr. H likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When Hank Snow died, I broadcast the "complete" recordings, all of the boxsets, over several weeks.

mpayan and Kkfan like this.
  13. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

That's true. I think it took me about ten years to make up my mind, weigh pro and cons, etc, but in 2009 I finally bought the Billy Vaughn set. By now other labels have released that same DOT material in various configurations, but I think the BF 6-CD set was the first to put it out on CD. These sets are quite expensive for me, as I live in Brazil (import tax, shipping, etc), but I had to own this one.

14. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

And now you are on a forum frequented by hundreds of those obsessive weirdos!

CLUDY and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  15. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Bear Family has taken notice of this thread and posted a link to it on their Facebook page, which in turn prompted quite a few additional comments there from other folks regarding their fave BF releases:

https://www.facebook.com/BearFamilyRecords

:righton:

Texas T, Kkfan and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

180?!? Ba-jeebers man. Name your top five?

I have the Jim Reeves also and agree.

Kkfan likes this.
  17. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Truly, I'm among family.

Wow, I feel honoured!

...The "1975-1915" typo notwithstanding.

18. CLUDY

CLUDY Member

I have all the box you mentioned but "Phoenix Panorama" and Chuck Berry.
    My top Five: Jim Reeves 16 cds set, Johnny Horton 9 cds set, Waylon vol 1 & 2, Don Gibson vol. 1, "Lili Marlene" (various artists).

mpayan, Kkfan and Chris C like this.
  19. skiddlybop

skiddlybop Forum Resident

Brenda Lee box with early Owen Bradley albums and fab hard bound book, also single disco comp by pop-disco singer Su Kramer with German version of a college fave rave, "You"ve Got the Power."

Jskoda likes this.
  20. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Atomic Platters!

21. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Remo Four: Smile plus, found while searching for Ashton, Gardner and Dyke, my only Bear Family CD.

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't have many Bear Family releases but like those I have so I'd say my favorites are:

Bailey Brothers cds.
    Nellie Lutcher set.
    Ella Mae Morse set.
    Deutsches Jazz Festival set.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wish more people had an opportunity to see the two huge books that came with the "Black Europe" mega-box. As great as any other Bear Family book, and multiply it by ten (not in size, but in both design and content that is absolutely unique in the world of publishing).

Here's an idea: Though it would be expensive, I would like to see slip-cased collections of Bear Family books that are associated in some distinct way, with each of the books having a binding and spine in a similar design concept. Books that could go together within one slipcase might be those artists associated together within a time period or particular style (such as one slip case with all of the classic honky-tonk singers; one for vintage bluegrass; one for classic rockabilly/rock'n'roll; one for classic pop singers; etc.). Books that are currently paperback might be collected together, and redesigned within a new hardcover edition.

melstapler and Kkfan like this.
  24. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I've looked at the "Black Europe" release on BF's site. I would love to have a copy but it's out of my league price wise. It looks beautiful and the books look out of this world. I think I would enjoy the music and it would take years to dig through all of it. I'd even consider buying the books apart from the CD's because they seem to be overfilled with pictures and plenty of historical information. A big important set of music.

It's the same with the 2 Paramount Records box sets. I'd love to own them and would listen to them but the expense is more than I can do. If that long lost, wealthy relative would just show up and I've been waiting for years.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The Paramount boxes made a terrible mistake, in my opinion, by putting the bulk of the music on a memory stick only (in mp3, I believe, not flac). They know their box is really for collectors, and that collectors want something that might be durable. At least put the data on properly manufactured data DVDs. Anyone can put stuff on a $10 flash drive that can disintegrate anytime. I hope (and expect) that Bear Family would never say: "Here is the music on a cheap flash drive, and while we are at it, we'll raise the price to $500".

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Mr. H, Texas T, Kkfan and 3 others like this.