Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Buck Owens songs not included in a big Bear Family cd box:

3 others songs play automatic after the other.
    A mystery why these was not included?:shrug:
    I got that record,so every things OK.:tiphat:

melstapler likes this.
  2. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Not a mystery at all: the "Tall Dark Stranger" set covers Buck's recordings up to 1975. The Eagles songs were recorded 1978 for his "Hee Haw" TV show (the vocals were just demo reference recordings, he sang live on the broadcast).

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The sound on that is really nice. I love that song.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

With all the tremendous fame that Woody has, it still surprises me that just a little more has not rubbed off on Jack.

5. Svein Arne

Cousin It and melstapler like this.
  6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. Apparently, there are numerous recordings recorded for Hee Haw in the vaults which are available for licensing. Someday, it would be amazing to have a comprehensive box set which collects all of these recordings in one place.

Svein Arne likes this.
  7. Svein Arne

Or DVDs with complete Buck Owens,Charley Pride,that would be great.:pineapple:

melstapler likes this.
  8. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I wish there was a complete Hee Haw collection that includes all the music made by Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Grandpa Jones, Roy Clark, The Hee Haw Gospel Quartet, etc. Also wish there was a complete Johnny Cash Show collection that includes all the music by his guests and also the recordings from his Ride this Train segments and medleys.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The "torrent" world circulated the complete Johnny Cash TV shows, every one of them, in DVD video about 10 years ago

10. hotshotskings

I meant as a cd box set

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They do come across better in video in the Cash show...somehow TV engineers rarely concerned themselves with sound quality, You can always turn off the video

12. Svein Arne

When you listen to shows on CD.They sometimes are in stereo,another time in mono.

Home | Johnny Cash Online
    :tiphat:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  13. hotshotskings

There was a cd released called "The Best of the Johnny Cash TV Show: 1969-1971" which I own. If only we had a box set of music from all 58 episodes!

melstapler likes this.
  14. Svein Arne

That would be a great cd box set.

:righton::tiphat:

melstapler likes this.
  15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Been dreaming about both of these ideas for years...

melstapler likes this.
  16. Svein Arne

Mr. H likes this.
  17. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

The problem with these sorts of compilation DVDs of TV shows is the rights issue, especially in the US. For a proper release you have to get clearance from every musician involved (and that includes the tambourine player who's out of shot for most of the time) – which takes a lot of time and makes everything very expensive.
    Richard Weize tried to compile the Marty Stuart Show episodes: even though it was Marty and a couple of regulars from the show who proposed this (and Stuart is the producer of the show), it was impossible. A double DVD with 4 hours playing time would have cost nearly 100 $ in the shops, and some episodes wouldn't get a release because they couldn't get an agreement with certain musicians.... Now try to imagine that for a show from the sixties or seventies, with current rights holders expecting big money, or participants with unknown wherabouts. Even checking the possibilities would mean hiring a lawyer with a budget equalling the complete production costs of two Bear Family boxes.

18. Svein Arne

So that is why the Town Hall Party DVDs are possible to make.Mostly all of the stars on the shows is no longer alive.Let us have more Town Hall Party DVDs.
    :tiphat:

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Legal rights don't have much to do with whether an artist is alive or dead. Quite often, it is much more complex and difficult after an artist's death.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I found a copy of one of the rarest Bear box sets (vinyl only, 8 LPs+book) at a garage sale on Saturday!!

It seems unlikely to be reissued.

[​IMG]

21. searchwarrantblues

searchwarrantblues Well-Known Member

My favorite would have to be the boxed set through which I discovered Bear Family:

[​IMG]

Very niche, but wonderful music of a lost cause.

Lucretius likes this.
  22. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Just received (and I'm halfway through) the Florida and Texas boxes... they look fantastic, Bear Family perfection, and they sound SO good!! And on the subject of prices, great prices/well-packaged delivery at the MVD shop

Mychael likes this.
  23. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I checked the prices at this site and for the ones I've bought they are almost and sometimes more than double what Ernie B was charging. Prices have gone up since the new distribution deal started.

Judge Judy, melstapler and rod like this.
  24. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I can't comment on the packaging since I haven't seen it, but I don't think I'd call the prices from MVD "great". Also, their website is pretty poor. I looked at a couple of Bear sets and single cds, and there wasn't a track listing.

rod likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I checked the price I paid at Ernie B's for the Jerry Lee Lewis new box, and it was $224 minus a $50 discount that they offer routinely, for total of $174.
    MVD, now the exclusive dealer, charges $392. Some Ernie's customers may never have signed up for the regular discount coupons (too bad). If they did not, MVD did a 75% increase in price for the Jerry Lee set. With the Ernie's coupon in place, MVD did a 125% price increase.

No wonder some of the posters above are saying they cannot justify buying the new Jerry Lee set

What a great deal that exclusive MVD contract was for Bear Family customers.

This is more than a nail in the coffin. It is a spike through the heart

cdwolf, DR.J, spanky1 and 4 others like this.