Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Thanks so much, this is great news. I saw Charley perform at the rodeo last month and although he didn't mention a new album, his voice still sounds great. With Billy Yates producing, hopefully he can get Charley back on a path closer to the traditional country sounds found on his albums from the 60s, 70s, 80s and into the 90s.

Kkfan and Steve...O like this.
  3. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

• The box set soundtrack to the Rock Hudson/Doris Day film Pillow Talk.
    • Atomic Platters: Cold War Music from the Golden Age of Homeland Security.

melstapler and Mr. H like this.
  4. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

It's been a week now and I sure miss the insider info we got from Mychael.
    There wasn't too many other places where someone who actually worked for Bear Family would so readily and freeily offer his experiences for us diehard fans. Now he is probably gone. And why? Distribution? I'm sure he didn't ink the deal with MVD or whomever. Isn't he the artist??? Bear Family actually has an email address that they monitor and have always answered me when I use it and corrected any problem that I had encountered with their product. But no, let's go after the artist who is going to defend the company he earns his livelihood with.

Please come back Mychael.

5. melstapler

Well said. Without Mychael, this forum would be so distant and lonely. Do you know if he uses Twitter?

6. Svein Arne

7. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I don't know that anyone was "going after" him. CDWOLF disagreed with the number of releases that Mychal said BF released in 2007, and listed the titles that he was aware of from that year. I tend to give cdwolf a bit of leeway because he was one of their biggest dealers here in the US for a period of time. Besides being German, he was great representative for the BF product with great prices, customer service, and packaging.(sounds familiar doesn't it Ernie B's?) From what I recall at the time, I think Wolfgang was given a raw deal, and he has reason to be bitter. I don't think he is spreading untruths about the company, or being ugly to Mychal.

I was one of the first to post a response to Mychal asking him to reconsider leaving the thread. I, too, liked his insider input. It was inevitable that his continued defense of BF would lead to some tough discussions. I think that all of us BF fans are concerned about the future of our buying their product. After the new MVD deal, the product is seemingly more expensive and harder to find. In addition to that, they have managed to run the good guys such as Ernie B's out of the BF business.

As I said, I hope he comes back, but I don't think the discussion was particularly unfair or ugly.

Lost In The Flood, rod and Reader like this.
  8. Svein Arne

9. Svein Arne

Complaining about Bear Family Records distribution shall have a thread another place!Here we are talking about music and releases!:targettiphat:

10. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Good luck with that.

11. Svein Arne

Dont blame Mychael for leaving.

baptistbusman and melstapler like this.
  12. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Show me one place where I blames him for leaving. I'll do you one better, go read post#2088 in this thread that I posted.
    However, if you want to debate the merits of what's being said, tell me how this new distribution deal has helped either the price or availability of Bear Family product.

13. Svein Arne

Here in Norway there is no difference in distribution because i get mine Bear Family products from this place:
    http://www.cruisin.no/infoRecords/
    I have been getting products from here in over 30 years.:)

turnersmemo likes this.
  14. Svein Arne

15. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

:cool:

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  16. melstapler

Yes, very sad. Just had the wife look him up on the Facebook and it appears as though he's even removed himself from that forum as well.

17. Svein Arne

He was warning us that if we did not quit bugging him about distribution he would leave.
    I liked to read about what was going on at Bear Family,and plans for the future.:shake:

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I really do not think any forum member comments about the change in distribution of Bear Family products were ever directed AT Mychael, nor was there ever any expectation expressed that the graphic artist had any control over business or legal management at Bear Family. I never saw any post that did not praise Mychael for his design work or his sharing of upcoming news.

19. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

What an awful shame. We did put him in an awkward place.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Most people wish to leave their jobs behind them when they get home. Not unusual. Many who work at a computer screen all day never even touch a computer at home

dalem5467 and melstapler like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I am here in NYC on my way to my fourth cancer surgery and I walk by a sidewalk vendor who is selling used CDs for $1, and I find three Bear Family CDs. I took that as a sign of good luck and bought them. I hope my anaesthesiologist does not like Bear Family. They tell you not to bring valuables. I looked at the pre-op directions, and it actually said "Do not buy country music after midnight before your surgery"

Front 242 Addict, Kkfan, DR.J and 9 others like this.
  22. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Prayers and best wishes for you on your surgery to knock the cancer out for good. Enjoy your new discs!

23. melstapler

What a great haul! We're all rooting for you, get to feeling better, buddy.

24. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Good luck. Hope you're driving the neighbors crazy with loud music soon.

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I always tell my wife that I believe in "natural" volume, that the musicians should sound as loud as they would if they are right in front of you (That doesn't mean over-amplified concerts, just the singer and the instruments).

Her answer once was, I married you because you did NOT play saxophone.

I recalled that she tried to insert that in my wedding vows, but our minister would not include it. If I had thought to make her promise not to mess with the volume control, he might have left that in.

Last edited: May 2, 2017