Your favourite Beatles bootlegs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

The title says it all.
    A couple of mine to kick off with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Folknik and Dugan like this.
  2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

BBC
    A/B Road

IBTL

dbacon likes this.
  3. Purple Jim

Hang on. I thought that we were allowed to talk about bootlegs but not talk about how to find them.

goodiesguy, theMess, drasil and 4 others like this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

That was my understanding as well. People seem to talk about them all the time.

5. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I see no links to said items...so just talk and photos of bootlegs are most likely allowed.

My favorite would have to be the Hollywood Bowl gigs. Granted, some of it has made it out legitimately...but not complete, nor the basic soundboard straight tapes.

[​IMG]

6. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I really enjoy
    The Abbey Road Companion

alchemy, theMess and Purple Jim like this.
  7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Forbidden Topics
    •Bootlegged or pirated materials and how to acquire them.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Well, while this thread is still active, I'll throw out this one that I purchased, legally, last year. It took advantage of the copyright expiration on these recordings, and includes some of what has been posted above, although I cannot comment on how sound quality compares:
    [​IMG]
    There's also this one that has the Star Club recordings. I see this in Half Price Books off and on...
    [​IMG]

9. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Weird some guys are more excited about shutting this down than actually discussing a valid subject. Personally, I think the best Beatles stuff is already out, excepting Glyn John's "Get Back."

bababooey, Sax-son, andy75 and 9 others like this.
  10. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

The evolution of Strawberry Fields Forever, starting with scratchy demos, and progressing through all the different takes that eventually yielded the master. What a revelation this CD was.

[​IMG]

11. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

All we are saying is.....give this thread a chance!!!

12. peteneatneat

This box set was a precursor to the official Anthology series. It blew my mind back in 93.

[​IMG]

13. Purple Jim

Fun:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With booklets just like the official collections

RobGordon35 and mc7t like this.
  14. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

In a previous thread (deleted, now), I got blasted by some snarky "right-fighter" for pointing out that it was forbidden to discuss bootlegs (I even pointed to our forum host's own rules using the very word "forbidden"). However, the Gort responded with along the lines of "general discussions were permitted but no links".

However, in the spirit of general discussion (we'll see if this lasts...) My vote is for "John Barrett Dubs" and "Ultra Rare Trax" (both Remasters Workshop Editions).

kozy814 and PhoffiFozz like this.
  15. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

A very difficult topic, lots of pros and cons.....Lennon known for collecting them....McCartney selling them as tour merchandising when they were legal for a while in Europe....and without them there would not be two double discs of BBC recordings......and then mainly people making money from them who had no rights in selling this stuff...but then this stuff also lead to a Beatles revival and to the Anthology.....
    And yet - in the end there is nothing better than the original albums and singles.

16. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I've said it before. Apple can put this stuff on well, Apple iTunes at $.50 a track. Japan, Shea, Nagra, Kinfauns, Decca etc and see what gets the most hits.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just love looking at the cover artwork on these.

18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Totally agree. It's still a great listen when you just want to hear a lot of really great stuff without being, er, obsessive. (Which sometimes happens.)

And I frequently get taken by surprise by whatever the next track happens to be.

peteneatneat likes this.
  19. peteneatneat

The rooftop "concert", as recorded by four separate cameras. A little piece of history.

[​IMG]

20. ascot

ascot Senior Member

My favorite in terms of content, overall quality, and packaging is The Complete BBC Sessions. It wasn't complete in actuality but still pretty darn sweet.

Coppertop Tester and Simon A like this.
  21. peteneatneat

Got this at a record fair in 95. Took it home. Did 100 magic mushrooms and then listened to all 5 discs in one sitting. What a journey that was.:)

[​IMG]

22. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

How is this any different than the thread which analyzed and compared the different bootleg versions of Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes?

23. GRC

GRC Senior Member

Yup - I have Artifacts and Artifacts II - and they did blow me away when I got them.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  24. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

As much fun as many of these were when they first came out, many of them don't hold up due to the ham-handed editing of the raw tracks and suffocating overuse of NR by many of their creators.

Simon A likes this.
  25. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

One of my favorites is Thirty Days, which offers 1 6 discs of let it be niagara highlights. I find it to be a fun listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.