Your favourite version of Sgt Pepper on cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

The 2017 Stereo remix is currently my favourite. The clarity is awesome and it retains the power of the mono mix.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

1994 (87) --->Mono 09
    Haven't heard the 2017 Mono
    Casual fan :)

3. bherbert

I would assume the 09 mono is better than the 2017 mono as it was the official release.

4. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Seriously? Again?

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Was this done Phil? Usually i'm pretty good at spotting repeats :laugh:. I next to never post in Beatles related threads, so I may have missed it

6. bherbert

LOL SHF members love their Beatles threads :)

7. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Maybe not a specific "best Pepper on CD" thread but all the discussion about the new reissue includes reams of talk about which version people prefer.

c-eling likes this.
  8. bherbert

2017 Giles mix winning so far. Quite surprised.

9. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

Just got the 2017 CD stereo remix last night at wallyworld. Listening on Plantronics "Audio USB-DSP" headphones.
    Unfreaking believeable. I bought the marginal quality capitol stereo & mono LP's in 1967. About $3.00 US and they were noisy and edgy sounding.
    The 50th Anniversary stereo CD was $11.89

[​IMG]
    What cost $2.98 in 1967 would cost $21.76 in 2016.

Not bad. and the sound quality is at last enjoyable. That "kid" has got a set of ears, alright.
    The very midrange-boosted lead guitar (Vox AC-30 Top Boost amp?) of "Fixing a Hole" didn't take my head off, for a change. In fact it's all great sounding with layers and layers of veiling, grunge, and nails-on-chalkboard pain stripped away. Whooda Thunk? Has it really been 50 years? Wow
    As an avid Beatles fan and former 1/2 owner of a small but high quality studio in the 1980's, I am currently SO appreciative of this!

Shaddam IV and noirbar like this.
  10. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

Why?

11. notgoblin

notgoblin Habitual Linestepper - not dancer

2017 Stereo, just love Ringo's big drums in this version.

Shaddam IV, fmfxray373 and bluejimbop like this.
  12. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I know...I can't believe they let Giles vote that many times.

14. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

For CD, still the '87.

15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

The 87. Original mix and in stereo. The way I like it. Not my favorite album, however.

Dan The Man1 and Holy Diver like this.
  16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I wish I could have voted for 1 each in mono and stereo. The 2009 mono and the 2017 stereo would have been my picks. Of course I also gotta have the original stereo mix on CD, always - I'll never be without my '87 CD which sounds quite good. But really there is just no comparison objectively, in terms of mixing, the 2017 stereo just trounces the original stereo mix - the latter now sounds positively polite/tame. The stereo remix was a true revelation for me (even with the unfortunate and unnecessary added compression), one of the nicest surprises in recent years. I hope they stay on track with this approach by giving THE BEATLES (aka WHITE ALBUM) the same kind of treatment, and then other albums (RUBBER SOUL for sure!).

MelodyFair likes this.
  17. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

The 09 mono was the first time I ever heard it in mono: I really enjoyed it. The ‘87 was the first I ever heard, so it’s sentimental but that ‘87 stereo seems like rough edit after hearing the ‘17 stereo... however I’ve only heard the vinyl of the ‘17... so ‘09 mono is my answer. :D

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Digital
    Stereo 87
    Mono 2009

19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Pepper in mono is punchy, concentrated pop-psych. My go-to, if I have one; but I'll always have the '09 stereo around in case I feel otherwise. Stereo is obviously a more widescreen, cinematic experience. I loved the Giles Martin version at first, stereo and punchy, but I'm afraid it find it a bit fatiguing now. :(

20. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Even thiugh this sort of thread has been done to death I still find myself drawn to them and read every comment. I do seriously wonder why some people still opt for the 1987 CD. Each to their own but the 2009 releases are simply streets ahead.

Joe N and bhazen like this.
  21. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

The worst BY FAR is the 2017 remix. I grow to dislike it more and more with each listen. The best is the 09 Mono. The 87 CD is the best, most authentic stereo version.

bobcat and applebonkerz like this.
  22. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

1987 stereo mix

It has the same warm sound my orange capitol vinyl has that I bought back in 1976.

Comfort food for the soul.

I like the 2017 mix too planning on buying the single LP version later this month.

23. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

The 2017 mix has become my go to in a way though the CD has come out of the car so if I do listen to it it's usually through the Apple Music version or the Vinyl Record. I've actually not listened to the old stereo mix very much these days though I might put the 2009 Stereo in the car next time instead of the 2017 just to shake things up. I listened to the old Stereo mix recently because I got an early Canadian Pressing on vinyl but I rarely listen to the old 87 version at all these days, I don't even have it in my iTunes anymore I've bought the Mastered for iTunes version instead.
    I was never all that interested in the 2009 Mono release, I've only really heard it through FLAC rips and bootlegs made from those rips and since you have to get the whole set to get it I have even less interest. If I want to listen to it in mono I've got the 17 Mono from the box set and the 14 Vinyl.
    I do find it interesting how people rave about versions being superior to one another, especially the 87 versus the 09 releases. I think the 09 is better but the difference is maybe 5% at the most probably 2% more realistically.

24. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Listening to the new Stereo mix, it just gets better and better.

Shaddam IV, notgoblin and bherbert like this.
  25. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

It is getting better... a little better all the time, It can't get no worse.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.