Your favourite version of Sgt Pepper on cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

After that anything but the 2017 remix. I'd rather listen to the boot Rockband remix over that terrible wasted effort Giles came up with this time. :shake:

bobcat and Somerset Scholar like this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Same here.

And yes, this thread has been done before

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

This has been done before

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lookie like one of my three. :)

5. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

I'd vote for the 2017 versions IF THE MIX WASN'T SO LOUD!

I suppose the 09 remaster, as I'm actually not a big fan of mono mixes in general.

I think my favorite Pepper tracks are actually the mixes used on the 1999 Yellow Submarine songtrack.

6. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Glad you’re also enjoying it. Ringo’s drums have never sounded better. It’s like the band is playing in front of you.

7. bherbert

It got a lot of flak. A lot of people like the ping pong stereo.

8. bherbert

LOL same here. I can’t resist a Beatles thread. To me the 87 sounds weak compared to the new stereo mix.

9. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

09 Stereo

10. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Same here!
    The 2009 remasters are superb compared to the 87' CDs. Especially the White album sounds terrible dull and flat.
    I'm only talking about the sound transfer not the mixes! Mixes are another story. ;)

As kid I never cared for mono or stereo but grew up with the stereo mixes.

Stereo:
    + The later albums have a wider soundscape which is nice, especially on Pepper and MMT and YS
    - The early albums aren't really the best to listen to in stereo and with headphones. Don't like if the vocals are on one side only.

Mono:
    + The perfect way to listen to every early album as it sound more like a band playing at one place in a room.
    + / - Sometimes I get the feeling that some sounds are buried in mono while are much more noticeable in stereo. But happened the other way around too!

So in the end I need to listen to both mono and stereo again but finding ONE perfect version seems to be impossible as both mono and stereo have advantages and disadvantages.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  11. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

ROTFL!

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

'87 CD, for me.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  13. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

This makes no sense. Both mono CDs are official releases.

Also keep in mind that polls such as this are going to favor the most common versions. I suspect that many who voted for the 2009 mono CD have yet to hear the 2017 mono.

14. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

The version where John sings the "ahhs" is the best

Dan The Man1 and majorlance like this.
  15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

2009 mono.

16. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

[​IMG]
    My Euro. '87 CD with nice slipcase and larger booklet holds a special place in my collection.

The 2009 sounds a bit drier and more compressed but not egregiously and somewhat better bass and vocals more upfront...overall the '87 breathes a bit better and more sonic character track to track.

I've listened to the 2017 remix via Spotify...the mastering is crushed, the mix itself is good and fresh but the presentation is simply too "in your face" subtleties aren't there. Perhaps this is geared to a new generation but leaves me wanting.

PS, I do like the mono mix as presented on the 2009 box, a bit rolled on the top end but the mix is as the Beatles and Martin intended to be heard.

Dan The Man1 and nick99nack like this.
  17. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

This is a strange one for me...

When compared to the '87 West German CD on headphones, I prefer the 2017 remix because of better instrument separation on my DAC/headphone combo. The instruments and vocals have their place and I like the detail.

When I compare both on my floor-standing speakers, I prefer the crankable, more laid-back presentation of the 1987 CD.

FWIW, I'm not sure how the 2009 stereo stands at the moment, nor how the 2009, 2014 and 2017 mono issues stack up. (I don't consider myself a mono aficionado.)

18. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

mono mix
    my first Sgt Pepper album was mono (sadly long gone) so the mono has a bit of a nostalgic factor for me

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  19. Since I got the 2017 remix, that is my new favorite Sgt. Pepper song. Heaven on headphones.

20. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

I wish I could check out the Rock Band Remixes at some point. I’ve heard good things about them. I own the game and the downloadable content, but haven’t been able to enjoy the songs without playing them with plastic instruments!

21. drobo

drobo Forum Resident

1987 stereo cd sounds right to me

Dan The Man1, ted209 and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

87...Gilesfree...

rock76 and Dan The Man1 like this.
  23. Michael

yea like the original LP...

drobo likes this.
  24. Michael

once was more than enough!

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  25. Michael

I think it's due to the fact that they want to aggravate the ones that loathe it...HAHAHAHA...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.