Your First Movie at a Theater or Drive-In

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve McGarrett, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I wish I could...my parents took me to the Drive-In many times when I was very young. I don't remember the first but I do remember the Lost World with Michael Rennie...I really loved that one!

GuildX700 likes this.
  2. BrentR79

BrentR79 Forum Resident

"The Cowboys" starring John Wayne. At the drive-in.

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I didn't get out to a Drive-In even as a kid, and after high school there was one place still showing films up in Wheeling, IL (M&R Twin Drive-In) one of the films we saw:

[​IMG]

Michael Richards (Seinfeld) was in it too!

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I lasted about 15 minutes into Transylvania 6-5000 than then snuck out and into the theater next door...don't remember what I walked into, but it sure as hell wasn't as bad!

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

No clue. I do remember not going to sleep in the back seat after the first or second movie like I was supposed to and thus making my parents go home before the final feature.

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

I brought my pillow!

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

They showed Woody Woodpecker cartoons between the features. That's what kept piquing my interest.

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

ah, the good old golden days of years past...I am so glad I was there.... may as well be on another planet these days. I'm speaking personally as nothing was or will ever be perfect.

9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The first movie I remember seeing at a drive-in was Bambi when I was 3 or 4 in the early 60s. I remember going a few other times in the 60s, but the only movies I remember were a double feature of Support Your Local Sherrif and Yellow Submarine. I slept through most of Yellow Submarine. I still haven't seen the whole thing.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, the scene with the kids on "Pleasure Island" is the stuff of nightmares for sure.

forthlin and GuildX700 like this.
  11. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

[​IMG]
    My best friend's mom took us to see a matinee on a Sunday for his, I think, 5th birthday. :)

GuildX700 likes this.
  12. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

The family went to see 'Mary Poppins' at the Robin Hood Drive-In. It was '65 or '66 and we watched from our powder blue Mercury station wagon but the most memorable parts of the evening was my first taste of popcorn (I was @5 years old) and I was fascinated with the metal box that hooked onto the window and provided the sound. It was revelatory in that I finally realized the process that went along with making a movie - actors, sound and film.

13. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Most probably, my first movie was at the drive-in (went to the drive-in a lot when I was little to see double and triple features because dad loved going.) Also, my first movie was most probably a Disney movie (probably animated, but maybe not since I practically saw them all. Hell, it might have been one of the early Kurt Russell Disney movies, since I saw them all as a kid.)

The first non-Disney movie I remember seeing was at the Drive-in also, and it was a reshowing of the original Planet of the Apes, followed by a couple more Planet of the Apes movies (Triple Feature, some time in the early '70s when I was about 6 or 7.)

(Side note: The first R-rated movie with nudity that I remember seeing (I can't exactly remember what movie it was,) my mom said something about it afterwards. I was probably around 11 or 12. The more I think about it, the movie may have been "The Deep" with Nick Nolte and Jacqueline Bissett. Or it was a similar movie around that same time.)

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A Christmas classic!

15. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

The first drive-in movie I remember seeing was "I Want To Live!" starring Susan Hayward when I was eight or nine.

I have no doubt we went to see other movies before that at a drive-in, but I think this one left such an impression that I remember it as the first.

16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, back in '84, with my parents.

17. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

The Muppet Movie with my parents. A few weeks later Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back - back to back.

erniebert likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That sounds like a great three-movie run!

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  19. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Gorgo....at the Bucks County Drive In.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

For real fun, combine them! :)

[​IMG]

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

First I remember was Yellow Submarine age 3

22. I can't remember the exact year, but it was in the early sixties.

The Three Stooges Meet Hercules. :D

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

IMDB says it came out in 1962. :)

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  24. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

"For the Love of Benji". I was 10. It was a Pizza/Movie/Ride Home for a friend's birthday.

25. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

'King Kong Vs. Godzilla', 1962, at the Kenmore theater on Church avenue in Brooklyn. No drive ins for me, family had no car and we lived in an urban area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.