Your First Movie at a Theater or Drive-In

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve McGarrett, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I thought you'd like to read this article about the theater. :)

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/1749

2. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Thank you, about 5 blocks away was the Loew's Kings(in Brooklyn, pronounced loweeees), which has been restored, but as a concert venue. CSN was there recently.

3. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Drive-in: The Rescuers, 1977
    Indoor theater: One Hundred and One Dalmatians, 1979

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I saw Return to Boggy Creek in '77 at the theater. That, or Star Wars. Whichever came first.

5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

We mostly went to yhe drive-in when I was little. saw so many there I have no idea. A couple of the first movies I saw at a theater were probably "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and Disney's "Peter Pan".

6. JMT

JMT Senior Member

Mary Poppins, sometime in the 60's

7. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I think The Empire Strikes Back in 1980/81? I recall my mother had to purchase tickets for her and I a few days before, given there was such demand. She took me to see Empire, but my older sister asked to see Xanadu instead... :)

I DO recall the huge Star Wars merchandising stand in the lobby of the cinema (in Russell Street, Melbourne) - particularly the Kenner toys. Amusingly, the short film Black Angel played before Empire (apparently upon the instructions of George Lucas) - much to my mother's dismay (as she felt it was too dark for children). And, lo and behold, Black Angel now be viewed for a short time on YouTube. :)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lost-empire-strikes-back-theatrical-795372

8. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The Big Bus at the Des Plaines movie theater.
    http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/460

And I'd still like to know what movie the big pie fight was from that they showed before this film. It was amazing.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

We used to go to the drive in a lot growing up. Can't remember exactly what movie it was but it was probably Disney related.

Boatniks was one for sure.

clhboa likes this.
  11. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

For some reason it seemed like they used the Boatniks as the 2nd feature on the bill for a lot of Disney flicks. My Mom hated that movie so half the time we would leave when it came on.

12. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Might not be the first drive in I went to but it is the first I remember going to:

[​IMG]

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I wanted to see this but I missed it by that much!

PHILLYQ and Dino like this.
  14. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Old Yeller at a theater, my Mom took me, and there was another movie on before it that was a sci fi flick about a deserted island where they found monsters. I would have rather seen than one at the time, but that got voted down...lol

15. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

Can't remember my first drive-in movie (my long-term memory is pretty shot) but I saw a double bill of Avengers: Age of Ultron and Furious 7 on Monday night...

16. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I remember seeing The Aristocats (Disney) in a movie theater when I was a kid.

My first "grown up" movie was "Jaws", which was also my first drive in movie.

17. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Active Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Cool shot of a drive-in in Salt Lake City, Utah. That's Chuck Heston up on the screen.

Steve Litos and Dino like this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Dino likes this.
  19. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

"Mary Poppins", 1964.
    I wanted to see "A Hard Day's Night" earlier that summer, but my older sister whom my Mom was
    taking to that movie with some of her friends pitched a fit when Mom suggested that I see it with them.
    Sis wanted nothing to do with a 6 year old bratty little brother at a Beatles movie.
    So as sort of a 'consolation prize' , Mom took me and three friends to see Mary Poppins a few weeks later.
    We especially liked the song "I Love to Laugh"; and for a few days after the movie, we would sing it while playing outside, albeit
    with some modified lyrics...changing the title to "I Love To Burp"...we would add belching noises at appropriate times.
    I finally got to see "A Hard Day's Night" a year later, when it played on a double bill with the then-new "Help".

20. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Doctor Zhivago was the first movie I remember seeing in the theater. I was probably around 5 or 6 years old. I fell asleep before it ended (long film for a little kid), but I remember seeing the army's attack of the demonstrators. That scene stayed with me. Doctor Zhivago is now one of my favorite films.

Steve Litos likes this.
  21. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman when I was 3 or 4... guess my parents couldn't get a babysitter. All I can remember is hiding behind the popcorn box.

[​IMG]

22. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

Dr. Doolittle 1967.

23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Aladdin.

24. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'm 60 years old. I have no idea at all what movie I saw first. My most vivid memories of childhood movies is Jerry Lewis films. We went to drive-ins but again, I have no recall of what I saw first.

Steve Litos likes this.
  25. Iceblossom

Iceblossom Member

I was taken along with a friend by her parents to see The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, with Don Knotts of course. I'm not sure if it was original release or not, but it would have been around 1967? 1968? We moved to Alaska in 1970, there is a pretty short drive-in theater season with cold on one side, and daylight in the other, but I did see a few there, none I really remember. Then the first time I saw Grease must have been 1978?? and it was at a drive-in, which is sort of funny/ironic/something.

My son and I used to go to a lot of drive-in movies now that I live in the Seattle area. That was from his ages about 10-14, and then he turned into a teenager... now that he's in his mid-20s, we go to a number of movies together -- but not drive-ins!

Oh! In terms of movie theaters, the first couple of Beatles movies were the first I remember. Sound of Music was also about that time. For some reason, I remember going to the Jungle Book maybe because it was in a really nice futuristic theater. And I remember 2001 a Space Odyssey. All of those were under age 10, starting maybe at 5-6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.