Your Go-to Hendrix CDs!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tornandfrayed72, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

All good, Ian. Jimi apparently hated the cover and had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I posted the cover earlier in the thread, but it got yanked. :sigh:

3. johnHS

johnHS Forum Resident

Same here.

4. tornandfrayed72

tornandfrayed72 Forum Resident Thread Starter

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

This might help simplify the discussion.

- there aren't any unique Japanese masterings for the JHE albums. Forget about the P33, P20, P90X, etc. The JPN Polydor discs have the same mastering as the German Polydor discs.

- forget about the 1st issue Polydor AYE & Axis. AYE is from an exceptionally poor source tape, major speed issues (Foxy way too fast), unstable stereo image that tilts to one side, AM radio EQ. Axis sounds fine but it uses an alternate, inferior stereo mix for the entire LP. Electric Ladyland is the only 1st issue Polydor worth bothering with.

The Beave, Use_Your_Koala and E.Baba like this.
  6. John Buchanan

I love it when Chris M gets out the bull#$*t trimming knife! You're a freakin' legend, Chris!!!!!!

The Beave likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

No love for Band of Gypsys WG Polydor?

8. John Buchanan

Certainly not at my humble abode. EH all the way.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Can you say what about the EH you prefer? (and are you guys referring to the 97 or 2010 one?) Is it a different mix? More songs?

10. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

Hear, hear. My favourite contributor to all-things Hendrix on this forum.:edthumbs:

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

2010, including the excellent Band of Gypsys.

12. John Buchanan

Band Of Gypsys - they are ALL the same mix. One Polydor edition added 3 poorly mastered tracks that are far better heard on the Live At The Fillmore East 2CD set. The only version on CD mastered from the real original master tape are the 2 EH's. They sound clearer, less phasey, less distortion on background vocals, the band sounds better balanced and the frequency response goes from very low to high, whereas all prior versions sounded truncated at both the top and bottom ends. The EH is like strapping yourself in and going in the Space Shuttle, compared with the rest flying in the DC3. And, yes, it's that marked.
    As for the booklets, OMG! The Polydor covers reflect the difference between the USA vinyl cover (one of the most beautiful covers of all time, IMHO) and a very poor scan of a mobile phone photo of that cover. And yes, the difference is that marked.

13. Lonson

No, the new Band of Gypsys does not have a dvd.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks! Which of the 2 EH's do you prefer? The earlier one?

Also, is the 200g Classic Records vinyl mastered from the original masters?

15. John Buchanan

The Sony/EH or the Capitol/EH sound identical to me. Whichever is the cheapest. Apparently, the Classic is also from the original masters.
    Interestingly enough, the latest Band Of Gypsys DVD has a remix of the performance and sounds rather good also. The earlier version was not as good as the CD - the new version is better than the CD.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks. I asked because the Classic does not have the added compression that the EH CDs have.

Very interesting...Thanks!

17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Sorry if I wasn't clear...I was only referring to the three JHE albums in my post. No idea re the BOG Polydor. I'm happy with the EH version but I'm not familiar with all of the earlier iterations of the BOG album. IIRC the EH BOG uses a better source tape than previous editions.

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I alternate between:
    AYE - Jap P20 + mono needle drop
    Axis - Douglas version + mono needle drop
    Ladyland - MCA version with DVD

I haven't got round to checking out those non RE Reprise editions (MP me please!).

19. tornandfrayed72

tornandfrayed72 Forum Resident Thread Starter

You seem to be a man who knows his Jimi. For the first three albums, which master do you prefer?

20. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

The EH Band Of Gypsys is too loud IMO, I find the Polydor 825 (which is not no-noised) to sound the best !!

E.Baba likes this.
  21. John Buchanan

Yes it's loud and yes it has a few peaks shaved, but I prefer the EH. Much better tape source. Each to his own.:righton:

22. Maidenpriest

:wave: Of course !

At least we don't get 4 minutes of Hendrix's Machine Gun solo edited out of the newer EH one ;):righton:

23. John Buchanan

I couldn't think of 1 second I could discard from that tour de force, Machine Gun.

24. Lonson

Me either. A timeless performance.

25. Maidenpriest

:agree::cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.