Your grading opinions required

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Todber, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todber

Todber Active Member Thread Starter

I've just been listening to 'Shut It!', the soundtrack album to the 70s UK cop show 'The Sweeny'. (It's great by the way. I've just ordered the cd).

The thing is, there is a small scratch at the start of side one. 12 clicks long to be exact, 8 of which occur during the music. The rest of the album is immaculate though.

I am loathed to condemn this album, which is choc full of great 70s funk and 99% click-free to a car boot sale.

What do you think? Without this scratch, it's a nailed on ex/ex. How would you proceed?

2. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Go on about the high quality of the item and describe the record to a "T". Then lowball the grading. Say something like, "I would grade this LP as EX+, but I can only give it a VG+ because of the small scratch." Makes you look really honest while giving you maximum sale price since the seller now knows how minty the LP is.

3. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

List it the way you described it here. You want the buyer to know that you are honest and care.

If it's not a rare album, the clicks do not destroy a lot of value, and if it is rare, you're going to be asked if the scratch affects play anyway.

Total honesty is always the best policy.:righton:

4. houston

houston Forum Resident

you must be totally accurate, like you were here, and don't use phony language like "near mint, except for"....just describe it, lowball the condition, and let buyers evaluate...and be sure to solicit emails from interested parties

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.