Your help requested. What are your jazz albums suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dennis the menace, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Sheeeez, going by the recommendations here you would think no one releases great jazz these days.
    OP.....broaden your search and check out some brilliant jazz released over the last decade.
    Artists such as:
    The Bad Plus, Angles 9, Tyshawn Sorey, The Necks, Darius Jones Trio, The Necks, Jerome Sabbath, Adam Lane Trio, The Who Trio, The Thing, Charles Gayle, Portico Quartet, David S Ware, Fire! Orchestra, John Zorn, Thomasz Stanko, Nate Wooley, Joe McPhee, Matana Roberts, Vandermark 5, Trio of Justice.........and they are just some of those I love. :)

I made a commitment about 5 years ago to seek out exciting and fresh jazz...and have been hugely rewarded. It's out there, just go and find it.

2. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Please check out the release dates of the Gregory Porter and Jamie Cullum albums I suggested earlier. Not to mention Herbie Hancock's River. :D

soundfanz and dennis the menace like this.
  3. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Hah! Yes!!

The OP said he wanted to go beyond the classics, but almost all of the suggestions have been for the giants of jazz and all the usual names from the golden age(s) of jazz. I love 'em and am definitely not knocking any of them, but if you've "been there, done that" (as you said) let's look at some more contemporary artists. Soundfanz made some great suggestions. Someone also mentioned Hiromi, definitely check her out. What about E.S.T. (Esbjörn Svensson Trio)?? Awesome, especially for someone with a rock n roll background; listen to Leucocyte on vinyl if you can get it. Wanna funk it up? Look at Medeski,Martin, and Wood. For a singer look at Kurt Elling's Close Your Eyes or Live in Chicago (I'm mixed on much of his other stuff). Other cool artists: Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, Brad Mehldau, Avishai Cohen, Esperanza Spaulding (hubba-hubba :love:), just to name a few...

dennis the menace and soundfanz like this.
  4. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. I think you may find it easier to start exploring jazz with something not purely instrumental and this album is simply perfect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ella_and_Louis

If you end up liking this I'm sure you will want to follow it up with some of Ella and Louis standalone recordings.

I would also recommend getting hires versions if possible (if you have the hires players) - to hear this in full glory.
    And also all other jazz albums (or classical) - try to either get them as hires downloads from sites like HDTracks, or vinyl.

dennis the menace likes this.
  5. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

There are many great suggestions in this thread. If you're looking for something a little different, but still fitting the bill, here's something from the King of the Trombone, a little known classic - Think Well of Me.
    [​IMG]

6. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Lee Morgan - "Candy" & "Here's Lee Morgan"
    Wayne Shorter - "Speak No Evil"
    Charlie Parker - "With Strings"
    Grant Green - "Green Street"
    Eric Dolphy - "Out To Lunch"

7. Agreed, I can't for the life of me understand what that track is doing on the album. Was it a bet, a promise he made to his wife, a drunken idea that got out of hand? Whatever, it doesn't feel right to me and never will. At the very least it should have been buried somewhere on side two, one of the most cretinous sequencing decisions I know of.

olson and peopleareleaving like this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  9. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Odyssey by Terje Rypdal is also worth mentioning... I didn't realize there was an extended version of this recording on hi rez. http://www.hdtracks.com/odyssey-in-studio-in-concert I am thinking there may be a purchase soon in my future...

10. olson

olson Forum Resident

I am going to have to search out those Red Norvo recordings with Charlie Mingus and Tal Farlow, sounds interesting.

stodgers likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Gentle Giant also had a direct reference to Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelli in "Sweet Georgia Brown" from the live album.

12. Miles Davis: I'd continue with In A Silent Way, Porgy & Bess, Seven Steps To Heaven, Jack Johnson
    John Coltrane: I'd continue with My Favourite Things, Giant Steps, Ballads

13. ...complete with the "One more!" exclamation!

14. skiddlybop

skiddlybop Forum Resident

There is a budget-priced and budget-packaged Nina Simone package in the Original Album Series line, five early LPs on Colpix I've been enjoying immensely.

15. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

There are some great lists on here, and I'll add one classic I didn't see, and a couple of more recent albums:
    • Cannonball Adderley, Somethin' Else (I go back and forth on whether this is my favorite jazz album of all-time)
    • Joshua Redman Quartet, Mood Swing
    • Brad Mehldau, Art of the Trio Vol. III
    • Charlie Hunter Trio, Bing! Bing! Bing!
    • Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny, Beyond the Missouri Sky
    • Bill Frisell, Nashville
    • Stanton Moore, All Kooked Out!
    • And one more classic: Grant Green, Alive!

16. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

There is something about Dolphy's Out To Lunch that is so singular. The man was an incredible talent, but on this album, the compositions have a quality that I can only describe as 'angular', but have tremendous appeal to me. Perhaps it is that progger in me that likes things to take a right turn when you expect them to go left. More than any other album, possibly including Kind of Blue, I think Out To Lunch is one that every jazz fan should own.

LavidDange and ParloFax like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.