Your List of the Top 10 Musicians who Matter Most in Rock History?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by houston, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

And I am a big fan of Little Feat, and Grateful Dead, but did not list Jerry Garcia or Lowell George, as they are also representative of branches of the family tree of rock, not fundamental enough to make the list.

2. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I'm pretty much with you if we can find a way to slip Little Richard and/or James Brown in to the mix.

Chuck #1, for sure.

3. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

He hit mine, and it's hardly a laughable choice -- he's influenced a ton of artists, although probably a number of them are not among ones that you like. New wave, new romantics, post-punk, electro, and '80's pop, in particular, would never have evolved as they did without his influence.

4. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Totally agree with number one. And although, I am not a huge fan, you can't deny Elvis's influence. He is right up there even though he didn't play an instrument very much.

5. houston

houston Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree with Bowie, I did not choose him, but I thought he is top 20 material...I just had noticed his name had not come up before :cheers:

6. NYC45nut

NYC45nut Active Member

:biglaugh:

that made me laugh out loud!

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

B. Holly
    C. Berry
    B. Wilson
    J. Lennon- P. McCartney
    B. Dylan
    J. Hendrix
    P. Townshend
    J. Garcia
    N. Young
    R. Davies

8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Elvis
    Chuck Berry
    Bob Dylan
    Lennon
    McCartney
    Richards
    Jagger
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jimi Page
    Johnny Rotten

If we could combine Jagger/Richards and Lennon/McCartney then I'd add Tony Iommi and Kurt Cobain.

9. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Gotcha -- thought you might have been being facetious. I was having a conversation with my wife this weekend re: '80's pop music -- we agreed that outside of US-styled arena rock and R&B-influenced artists, it seems like almost every popular artist in the early '80's wanted to be Bowie or Roxy Music.

10. houston

houston Forum Resident Thread Starter

had to laugh, because apparently Hendrix had so much influence on Page, that Jimmy copped the spelling of Jimi's name!

11. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Ritchie Blackmore
    Jon Lord
    Ian Paice
    John Bonham
    Jimmy Page
    John Lennon
    Paul McCartney
    Tom Petty
    Bruce Springsteen
    Paul Stanley

12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I chose to list rock musicians who I consider "change agents", people who were catalyst to move rock music in a different direction. These people "matter" only insofar as what came after wouldn't have existed without them. The only people on my list that are suspect are Roger McGuinn and Kurt Cobain. McGuinn is there for his role in merging folk and pop music. Others were doing it, but the popularity and influence of the early Byrds is staggering. I'd guess that several rock sub-genres arose from the early Byrds influence. Cobain is included because I consider him to be the genre's last gasp at relevance and ultimately quickened it's demise. The legions of Cobain imitators brought the music to it's knees. Mainstream rock music was so devoid of substance (IMO) that a huge opening was available for something new, which turned out to be modern R&B, dance, and rap.

Elvis Presley
    Chuck Berry
    Buddy Holly
    John Lennon
    Paul McCartney
    Roger McGuinn
    Jimmy Page
    David Bowie
    Lou Reed
    Kurt Cobain

There was good rock music made after Cobain, for sure. But I'd tie those artists back to the others on my list.

13. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

14. I always consider a singer as a musician unless otherwise specified. This is not a list of my favorites nor greatest, though some do qualify in that regard. In no particular order:

Brian Wilson
    John Lennon
    Paul McCartney
    George Harrison
    Buddy Holly
    Elvis Presley
    Roger McGuinn
    Mick Jagger
    Pete Townshend
    Curt Cobain

15. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

:eek:No George Harrison Chief, Harrison's contribution to 'World Music' should be recognised, for popularising the blending of East and West and also for inventing the Charity Gig, I think Harrison did as much and one could argue even more than Lennon/McCartney for the Genre ? ?

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

oops. :wave:

17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Damn! How could I forget Lemmy?

:edthumbs:

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Musicans

Jimi Hendrix
    Paul McCartney
    Keith Moon
    Eric Clapton
    George Harrison
    Nick Drake
    Johnny Marr
    Ringo Starr
    Brian Jones
    Keith Rchards

Singers

John Lennon
    Paul McCartney
    Lou Reed
    David Bowie
    Morrissey
    Mick Jagger
    Bob Dylan
    John Lydon
    Neil Young
    Frank Zappa

19. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Robert Johnson
    Hank Williams
    Chuck Berry
    Buddy Holly
    Little Richard
    Elvis Presley
    Bob Dylan
    John Lennon
    Jimi Hendrix
    Stevie Wonder
    David Bowie

Yeah, I made it go up to 11.

20. Chuck Berry - invents the rock sound as well as the singer/songwriter and guitar hero
    Buddy Holly - takes Chuck further, and adds in singer/songwriter/producer
    Elvis Presley - understands how promotion and selling are to be done
    James Brown - invents funk/soul everything from Michael Jackson to Mo-town, Stax and so on
    George Martin - invents the rock LP, creates studio space and exploration, forces the Beatles to be more than they would have. Makes the studio an instrument.
    Gil Scott Heron - invents rap
    Pierre Schaeffer - invents electronic music
    Johnny Ramone - invents punk rock
    Manfred Robert Schröder - invents the MP3
    Gage Kelso Brewer - the man who introduced the electric guitar to the world

21. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

The Beatles and the last time I am mentioning this should be viewed as collective because they influenced more areas of music including pop music than even their mentors. George Harrison could be the key Beatles because he had a direct impact on the Byrds and without the Byrds we are missing a huge chunk of rock history. He was important also on the electric 12 sting rock guitar sound, and helped advance rock’s sonic vocabulary.

22. Cannot believe that no one has mentioned KRAFTWERK yet !?

If you need individuals then Florian Schneider and Ralf Hutter are the names.

23. Maidenpriest

Is that a nice way of saying his only talent was he looked good and could sing, but apart from that he was being controlled by someone else really wasn't he, Elvis had no talent in creating music, IMO he is not even in the same league from a music perspective as Holly and Berry, maybe Elvis needed a more evergreen name:D

24. Maidenpriest

I was going to, but apart from not remembering how to spell there names, the thread is 'Rock' not Electronic/Dance !!

25. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

Could not disagree with you more on the Beatles. George Martin produced recordings for many other artists, including contemporaries of The Beatles, such as Matt Monro, Cilla Black, and Gerry & The Pacemakers, as well as the band America guitarist Jeff Beck, sixties duo Edwards Hand, Ultravox, country-singer Kenny Rogers, Cheap Trick and Yoshiki Hayashi of X Japan. Explain how George Martin helped those acts?

None of those acts were writing albums like Revolver. Not taking anything from George Martin but it was Paul McCartney idea to experiment with avant-garde tape techniques and George Harrison use of world music instruments. It''s not like Martin told Harrison let's use the Lydian Mode on "Blue Jay Way" or the backward guitar parts on "I'm Only Sleepihg". Like George Martins said the Beatles genius was there's. It was a partnership but give some credit the Beatles wrote and played the damn songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.