Your Phono Preamp (MC). What is it and why ya like it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sckott, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

I may be crossing over to MC, which carries with it some...responsibility!

Some people use integrated preamps (Adcom right now for me, but I'm willing to change) and some seperates like NADs and such.

For the MC croud, what do you use and are you in love? My table is a VPI Scout. Thanks!

2. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I am "in love" with low output MC cartridges (< .4 mV). In all of my audio systems, ANY higher-output cartridge (>1mV) sounded compressed and lacking in the ultimate detail. My MC cartridges have been Denon 103d, Dynavector Karat 17D, Monster Genesis 2000, Blue Oasis, Koetsu Rosewood, Koetsu Jade Platinum, Shelter 90x, Benz Ebony LP, and now Benz Ebony TR and Audio Note IO (these are both 1 ohm impedance and 0.1 mV output).

So, for me, amplifying these cartridges have been a REAL adventure for many decades. As I've discovered my most transparent equipment to accomplish making records sound incredible, I cannot say I "love" any particular phono preamp, in the way I do some of my cartridges.

I've tried built-in phono stages (notably Krell, CJ and CAT), separate active head-amps (Klyne and Denon), and transformer step-ups (too many to list) with full tube MM phono preamps.

After all these decades of comparisons and evolution, I am finally settled that the VERY best sound comes through a MC step-up transformer and full tube MM phono stage.

My favorite tube phono stages, currently, are the built-in phono stages in a CAT or older CJ preamp, and ANY Audio Note "RIAA phono stage".

An Audio Note M1-RIAA is $2270, and with the right step-up (chosen to complement the cartridge) really sounds incredible. But so does an old CAT or CJ built-in phono, with that same step-up.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Bolero, David B. and Rolltide like this.
  3. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I'm running a mid-1990s Yamaha CX-1 pre-amp for the phono on my Lp12. I like it because it is dead quiet and neutral and it seems to bring out the best from the TT/Dynavector combination.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have used mainly LOMC carts for decades now and have tried many active and passive approaches to getting the needed gain and response from them. Most internal stages are not nearly as good as going with a separate, dedicated phono preamp. You obviously need an active phono stage to arrive at the gain you'll need but you can also use a passive, transformer based step-up into any decent MM stage. It all matters and all adds-up to the sound that exits the preamp. I am using a Rogue Audio phono stage now and I also like the Dynavector. These are great stages at any price and are also a great value at their prices. I used to use a Bryston phono stage for many years which was a MM stage with a transformer front end. I have also used a Rega active stage that was excellent. If you want to use what may be the best value in external stages for a LOMC, the Dynavector P-75 is really special for under a grand and one of my favorites when using its Phono Enhancer mode. Then the Rogue Audio Ares is an all tube stage with transformer inputs at twice the cost of the DV, but also a real winner and what I really fancy when I can afford to do so.
    -Bill

Gardo and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

I have an Audio-Technica 33PTG/II running through a DIY full tube phone stage (link) that starts as a Yaqin 22b but radically alters the entire design based on the World Audio Designs MM stage. I'm using an Audio-Technica 670T step-up transformer and the tube stage has 3 Telefunken 1959 short grey plate tubes.

The sound is wide and open/airy with full articulate bass and incredible dynamics.

6. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

I'm using a Dynavector P75MKIII w/a Dynavector 20x2L cart. Extremely quiet and they make a natural combo on my Linn TT.

Gardo likes this.
  7. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I have the same TT and cart as you...

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Simaudio Moon 310LP. dead quiet, extended highs, dynamic, well built, and with enough setting options for me. Good bang for the buck amp.

Dennis0675 and TommyTunes like this.
  9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Running the Dynavector DV20X2L with a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS on a VPI table.
    The reviews on the Dynavector cart were correct- snappy, powerful dynamics and a silky, detailed, refined sound with deep bass extension and definition. A no-brainer in the LOMC cart category. The low mass of a moving coil system truly does translate into dynamic energy and excitement and I will never look back.
    The Tube Box DS met all expectations as a tube staged phono preamp- adjustable- the loading can be adjusted on the fly to match the cartridge, the switchable rumble filter makes bass tighter and with zero woofer pumping, and the stock tung sol tubes add incredible dimensionality and open detail to the midrange.
    Minor complaints- the Dyn cartridge is sensitive to VTA, so make sure you have adjustment capability. I use +4mm tail up ~ 92 degrees SRA for the best sound. The Tube Box DS adds a little hiss at very high volume but is not objectionable or noticeable once the music starts or at a lower high volume.

10. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

I'm using a lowly Musical Fidelity V-LPS II with an AT 33PTG/ii. I have some resistors in parallel to tweak the highs down just a bit, but I think a lot of folks would not feel any need to tweak the frequency response of this cartridge. I think it sounds pretty great, but I can't really compare to anything else in my own system. When I was using MM cartridges, I found it a nice improvement over the phono stage in my receiver (Denon 5308).

11. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I'm using a Denon HA-1000 MC-Headamp, with a Soundsmith retipped DL-103R

I like it because it works & sounds good

12. Slick Willie

Working is good....so is sounding good.....so, all is good!!!!:D

Bolero likes this.
  13. Warren Jarrett

Is anyone using a VERY high-end preamp from the past, full function with built-in phono stage? Please, not Adcom, NAD, Japanese receiver... I mean mega bucks in the past, but now possibly quite affodable on the used market.

And, if so, what cartridge, and with what sonic results?

14. Slick Willie

Vague enough........

15. Warren Jarrett

What's vague about "VERY high-end preamp"?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  16. Slick Willie

Because - it means your definition(without detail) of VERY high end, it may not mean what mine is....or Joe's ....or Bob's...or.....get it?

17. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

No quite VERY top end, but I can vouch for the Yamaha CX-1 as complementing the Dynavector cart very well. These were amongst the top of the range Yamaha pre-amps in the day and worth seeking out on the used market.

18. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

I don't have much experience among SUTs/MC preamps to compare sounds, but I've been loving my Denon DL 103 into a Budgie Cinemag SUT into a Musical Fidelity V-LPS v. 1 for the past few months. I intend to upgrade the V-LPS to Budgie's tubed phono stage when I stop spending money on records for a few months—Bowie and Music Matters are making that hard right now—but I might spring for the AT33/PTG and then send the 103 off for a retip, as I'm getting a little tired of the 103's predilection for IGD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.