YOUR Record Cleaning Methods (Disc Doctor or otherwise...)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by -=Rudy=-, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

It was some time ago. I have this vague recollection that it did work at least on one LP, a local mono pressing of Soultrane.. it was less noisy after I was done, and maybe a little shinier too.

I'd have to try it again, but having spent money on the DD brushes, going back to a $1.99 art brush makes one feel kind of stupid, don't it?

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Rudy, What VPI brush are you using?

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

hey, if it works better than a 40$ brush, whats the difference? The goal is to get the Lps clean, right?

I never tried the DD brushes because I just cant see them being radically different from a Radio Shack 11$ brush. At least with the artist brushes, you can see how those long bristles would clean the groove deep.

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Mikey, Do you use a natural or synthetic bristle artist brush? The reason why I ask is that in ordinary house painting you do not use natural brushes with latex paint because the water makes the bristles to limp. If they are synthetic brushes I worry that the nylon could scratch the vinyl, have you noticed this.

5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Mine were natural bristle, as far as I remember. I also think the 'plastic brush on plastic record' could be an issue.

6. RetroSmith

Hmmmm....i'm not sure, but I think they are synthetic.

As far as the synthetic brushes scratching the vinyl, I dont think thats an issue. The bristles are soft, whether natural or synthetic. Plus the grooves are tough!!
    A stylus is probably 1000X harder on the grooves.

7. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

I also follow the Disc Doctor directions to a T. But no matter how much I rinse I still seem to have some left over residue. But the directions do say that it will take 1 or 2 plays before the vinyl is completely cleaned. I'm thinking that my fluid/water ratio is a bit off.

8. RetroSmith

Hmmm.....what happens in 2 days that doesnt happen after the record is dry? Just curious.

9. RetroSmith

oh, PLAYS.....got it.

10. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

Prix,

I, for one, would love to see some detailed instructions on how you do this - especially considering that you're not using a record cleaning machine. I'm just now getting serious about starting a good cleaning regimen. I just bought the DD fluid and some replacement sleeves - I haven't bought any brushes yet because I'm still trying to verify what all the options are. Are the DD brushes really that good?

Whenever you get the time, I'm sure I'm not the only person reading this thread who'd like to read some detailed instructions written by a seasoned record cleaning vet.

Jamie

11. RetroSmith

12. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

What's the method for diluting the DD fluid?

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

2 parts DD, 1 part distilled water. Shaken, not stirred.

14. RetroSmith

Sounds like a
    vodka cocktail!!

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

No idea, really--I bought it several years ago from Audio Advisor. It's in a wood handle, and it has whitish-clear nylon bristles. Not even sure if they sell it anymore, as the last time I checked, I could not find it on their website.

Even though the brush is a little on the stiff side, again, the stylus puts a lot more force in its tiny footprint than I could put on the brush. Haven't damaged any LPs yet!

I am wondering if an artists' brush is stiff enough...if the bristles are short enough, I think it should work. For a couple of bucks, it can't hurt me to try it! :)

16. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

My ex-girlfriend left lots of contact lens saline solution behind when I threw her out [right after she said she was leaving :) ]

Could I use that as part of a cleaner in the Nitty Gritty ???

(Contains: Saline Solution is a sterile, buffered, isotonic, aqueous solution containing a borate buffer system and sodium chloride preserved with sorbic acid and edetate disodium.)

17. -=Rudy=-

2 of DD fluid to 1 of distilled water is what I used. However, the instructions do say you can use it undiluted for problem discs. 2:1 is not much of a dilution...I'm almost thinking for light duty cleanings, I could probably use 1:1.

No biggie though--I'm not having a problem with the fluid, just the brushes. Most LPs seem to get rinsed after two cycles, but I've had a couple that seemed to require a third rinse. No problem there either--it only takes an extra minute, and actually, it can't hurt to float out any remaining dirt or "whatever" with an additional rinse anyway. :)

18. -=Rudy=-

Nope...all done to the directions. :thumbsup: 2 DD fluid to 1 distilled water, although it is OK to use it undiluted for problem discs. (And y'know, I haven't tried that yet.) The instructions recommend against the full-strength fluid all the time though, as it will loosen the adhesive on the DD brushes.

It's just the brushes I've had an issue with...they seem to work no better at cleaning than the cheap felt things I got for free with my vacuum. I still get more crud out with the VPI brush. The DD brushes are far better applicators than I've ever had, so I get a nice, even film of fluid or water on the discs without getting them overly soaked. They work well for rinsing, but the VPI brush just gets out that extra crud for me during the wash cycle.

Here's a tip: the DD instructions say to "squeegee" the brushes after use. What I've done is use some of those disposable square plastic Glad leftover containers. The inside edges of those are rounded nicely to squeegee off the brush without hurting the brush (doesn't take much pressure) and I have separate containers for brush cleaning, brush rinsing and one of clean water as my rinse water. Works quite well this way...great time saver. Beats my old way, which had me dumping distilled water all over the counter at one point. :laugh:

I may try the Cascade-in-the-Maytag-dishwasher approach next. With Jet Dry, so I don't leave water spots. :D

19. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I've actually been using the solution at full strength with some healthy rinsing. No harm I guess, just wasting some precious juice (wut a dork).

Last night I won an Apple "Straight Up" LP on EBAY, so when it shows up I'll try the diluted mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.