Your thoughts on Sennheiser Headphones!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mr_mjb1960, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Surprisingly unspectacular sound. I loved the HD 25 best. Costed me 345 Deutsch Marks = 175 Euros in 93.
    Used them for nearly 10 years and sold them for nearly the price I had paid all these years before...lol. Every top dj and the guys on german tv had those. Industry standard so to say. After that I had a lower model given as a gift with a new Pioneer mixer and even these sounded okay. For my iPod I had CX 300's which were okay, too.

2. Jackcan

Jackcan New Member

I have had these for a long time and are amazing when you feed them properly and loaded to the ears. Great value. Yet to try out CX 300-II Precision [​IMG]

3. David Loyd

David Loyd New Member

I love my Sennheiser HD280 Pros. I went to Guitar Center and was looking for a good set of headphones for my digital 8 track and was about to purchase a brand name $300 pair, the guy behind the counter was straight with me and said I should go on amazon and pick up the Sennheisers for a third the price and better sound. he was right =) I use them for everything now.

RickH likes this.
  4. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

Love my HD580's. I've had them forever it seems. Must have got'em in the mid 90's. I just keep replacing the foam parts and they just keep sounding great. I have a pair of HD380Pro's that are good for blocking out noise. Oh, they sound good, too, but they are a bit vice-like on the old noggin. I also have a pair of Bose AE2's that I like real well, especially for portable use.

5. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I've been wondering about these and how they compare to the Shure SRH440's, which are about the same price. I own the Shure's and they sound very nice but would love to audition these Senns.

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Dit to the 'to.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Been using Sennheiser HD 414 since 1973. When I began my broadcast career. The old Koss 4A was too heavy for comfort, as I have spasmodic torticollis. My GM bought me the Sennheisers, they are comfortable and sound great. I retired them from working use and now use Beyer Dynamic 770 phones.

8. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I have a hD-570 pair that I'm quite happy with, also had the HD-280 Pro at one time but didn't care for the sound on that.

9. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I found a set of PC350 phones at a thrift for $1 last year. I'm sure these were built solely with PC use in mind, since they also include a microphone, but I can't say they're anything too impressive... dunno what their original price point was, but for $1, I ain't bitchin'.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

I'm happy with my HD-600. My main purchasing reason for them was comfort, as I wear eyeglasses, and so I don't like smaller headphones that press against the ear, because it crushes the pinna into my eyeglass frames and it becomes very uncomfortable. The HD-600 are huge and sit around the ear, and so I find them much more comfortable.

From a sound perspective, they are very detailed, maybe a tad bright for my tastes. I personally preferred the sound of the Grados I auditioned at the time, but bought the Sennheisers because they are so comfortable. I basically just use them at my desk at work, now driven by a FiiO E10 DAC, and they are physically very comfortable to wear, and they sound great. But they do become a little fatiguing to listen to after a while. But again, taste in sound is subjective preference, so they may tickle your fancy just fine.

11. Meatface

Meatface Forum Resident

I never liked using headphones until I got the HD650's.

jriems likes this.
  12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Back in the mid 1970's a friend of mine had the original (?) open air Sennheiser HD 414's . Remember the yellow foam ear pads? :)
    I couldn't afford those so I settled for the Radio Shack open airs. Right now I have the:
    • Sennheiser HD 555 s that I use with my iPod and pocket amp PA2V2 which I would like to eventually upgrade to the HD580 (?)
    • and the HD600 s for the main system.

13. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Sennheiser user for 40 years. Love them.

14. Deadwing

Deadwing Forum Resident

HD650's and looking to someday pick up the HD800's :)

15. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I have a pair of Sennheiser MX500 earbuds which I love that I use with my iPod & iPhone.

16. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I've got brands of headphones, mostly AKG, Beyer and Sony. But I have some Sennheiser HD25-1 II and they are my favorite monitor phones. They are rugged, sound great and work off very little power (not those AKGs, which are gas guzzlers). I think Rolo46 first mentioned them in a thread and I'm glad I got them.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The only problem with Senns is the price of them keeps steadily rising. A new pair of HD600 used to sell for $250 (in 1997) now they're close to $400.

18. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Love my HD650's with a Burson Headphone amp.

19. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

$1700 is a budget headphone for Sennheiser. Try $16,000, or closer to $30,000 nowadays, for the Orpheus HEV 90/HE 90 set.

[​IMG]

gregr likes this.
  20. Hobbit13

Hobbit13 New Member

Listened to that one at a fair once. At the same fair Stax also showcased their top of the line headphones, and I clearly preferred the sound of the Stax, very much the best headphone I ever listened to. And it was much cheap than the Sennheiser. But the Sennheiser looks fantastic, and is very comfortable. Whereas the Stax makes you look like you've ran away from a 70s sci-fi party...

21. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

With inflation, 1997's $250 would be $362.20 today, which is "close to $400." So perhaps the price hikes are not all that egregious??

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

-Bob

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Agree with that.

Stop attacking your fellow Forum members:

[​IMG]

:D

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Elk,

The Staxen division has added you to their enemies list. ;)

24. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Add my name to the list of happy Sennheiser owners. Had a pair of folding cans for on the go (forget the model number) that I eventually destroyed, but my HD600's are alive and well and I like them a lot.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No not egregious, but Sennheiser is keeping a steady pace with inflation. Most other manufacturers headphones have stayed in the same price league for a LOT longer. I think Sony phones have stayed close to the same price since 1990!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.