Your thoughts on this Ebay purchase?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by JBStephens, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

I recently bought a pair of dome tweeters on Ebay. Unfortunately, because they were not packed correctly, one of the domes was pushed in. No problem. You just take the tweeter apart and push out the dome from behind. But, this tweeter had apparently been dropped, and the pole piece was trapping the voice coil so it could not be disassembled. I asked for a refund not for the whole purchase, but just for the bad tweeter. The seller claims I am trying to rip him off by reqesting a refund for the irrepairable tweeter, because I disassembled it in order to fix it before complaining about it. If it HAD been fixable, there would be no problem.

Your thoughts?

2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Once you disassembled it, it became yours.

my 2¢

Wally Swift likes this.
  3. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

^^^ Probably the case but with eBay, you could probably file a return claim and win because all it take for a buyer to prevail is to be able to fog up a mirror.

Dave and Schoolmaster Bones like this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I realize you thought you were being a good guy by trying to fix it... But you should have complained before touching it. Not the seller can claim you broke it...

Dave likes this.
  5. You definitely should have notified the seller first. You may still prevail in a claim, but the fact that you meddled with it gives the seller an argument he wouldn't otherwise have.

Shock damage is the worst, because it's invisible. I really can't say if you'll prevail in this case, although eBay should be familiar enough with disputes of this sort by now, given the number of ignorant sellers out there. (In years past, before eBay buyer protection was quite as robust as it is currently, I had to eat considerable money on an Atlas horn tweeter pair that had bounced around in the box until one of the units ended up with a dead voice coil. Also ripped off, literally, on a Jensen P8R special design speaker packed in loose packing peanuts. Both incidents are inexcuable, to me. Unfathomable.)

I've done a lot of buying and selling of speakers on eBay, in years past. I've gone as far as insisting on sending my own properly sized boxes and packing instructions to the seller, in some cases.I expect large bubble wrap and double boxing on all speakers, and for any standard size cone speaker over 4" I want an exact size fit to the outer cone diameter for the inner box.

I don't want to file a claim and get a refund. I want my goods to arrive intact. I suspect you feel the same way.

6. decal

decal Well-Known Member

I have to agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.