Your time machine is ready....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nashreed, Jun 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nashreed

nashreed New Member Thread Starter

As a thanks for being a fine upstanding member of the Hoffman board, you have access to a brand new "collector's only" time machine!

Here's the deal: You can go back to any year in this century for one week- and one week only! You can bring as much money as you want, and it will be magically transformed into bills from that period or before (so if you bring your 2002 $100 bill back to 1955, it will become a 1955 $100 bill!).
    Now that's a deal!
    You can bring back as much stuff (CD's/records/ magazines, etc.) as you want (no extra people ), but remember you can only go to one location in this country, only 1 year/month in time for one week. You can enjoy the feeling and nostalgia of that place, and do as much shopping as you want!!

Where would you go???

My choice would be (since I'm not into vinyl anymore) Aug. 1988, Los Angeles:
    I would be able to shop many differnt stores for beaucoup copies of "Y Kant Tori Read" to bring back to sell for obscene profit (and one for myself in a longbox). And I'm sure I could find plenty of other rare old titles too (leftover RCA Bowie's, etc.). Old silver MoFi's too! Hmmm, no DCC's though. :(

Where would you go????

James

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

1967, so I could pick up as many mint mono lp's as possible(Beatles, Stones, etc). Keep 'em still sealed, and after keeping one or two for me, SELL 'EM!!!!

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

MatrixMan stole my year, and my reasons.

Ahhh.... maybe I would pick '68. Mono Axis, mono White album, Surrealstic Pilllow, Pepper and the even rarer Mystery Tour. Mama's and Papa's Creeque Alley single...

4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Mid-to-late 50's.

New York.

With a couple of VCRs and BOXES of blank tapes...

Hope the Chinese place and the pizza joint on the corner both deliver.... :D

-Kevin

5. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Late 1966: First-state butcher sleeves!

(Actually, it would also be fun to plug a portable DAT deck into the soundboard of various locales.)

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't know yet, but I have had fantasies about going back to 1964 and giong to Motown to show Gordy and the gang what digital will bring to the world. Of course, since I would be bringing some Motown CDs they would all see where things would wind up. It might make Diana more of a problem for the other Supremes, David Ruffin might get a bigger case of the "swelled head syndrome", Marvin Gaye would have asserted his independance earlier, and Berry Gordy would try to accellerate the advent of the CD. In other words, history would be altered for the worse!

Let's not even talk about what would happen to the Beatles!

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Here's where I have to respectfully disagree with you, Grant. I know you're a singles guy, but do you really mean to say that What's Going On and Let's Get It On represent a step DOWN from Marvin's earlier Gordy-assembly-line fare? :confused:

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Perhaps you aren't that familiar with the history of Motown artists asserting their independence from the Motown machine.

I meant that if Marvin could have seen the history of what was to be he would have done more than he did in the years leading up to 1971. Perhaps he would have tried to make the album before it's time was due and ruined the project and his career. barry may have backed down in 1971 but would have kicked Marvin out of the building in '64!

In 1964 Diana would have seen her superstar status and been that much more a pain in the ass for everyone. Those Supremes hits probably would have never been made. History altered for the worse!

Just think of what would have hapened if they could have forseen disco back then. Gordy forced it's artists into disco in the 70s. He would have tried to jumpstart the trend and take the claim.

The upshot, he would have taken more care to put out superior-sounding stereo.;)

He would have made it impossible for the Jackson 5, Diana Ross, the Spinners, Isley Brothers, or Gladys Knight & The Pips to leave the label in the 70s or 80s. All their landmark records would never have gotten made, thus altering history!

And, what fun would it have been to go back in time and NOT show them the future? But, think of the record collection you would have!

9. nashreed

nashreed New Member Thread Starter

Remember the story of "The Time Machine"... you can't change history.
    I was thinking of putting that as a condition, but I was also curious of how many posters might want to change musical history. Tell Elvis in 1961 that the Colonel is a crook, watch your weight and no more peanut-butter and banana sandwiches. Or Dec. 1980...

No, you can't change history. You can just buy as much booty as you want within a week. (How would you buy first-state "butcher covers"? I guess break-in's to record label pressing plants are okay. While I'm in 1988, maybe I can break into the Warners offices and see if there are any Prince original "Black Albums" in longboxes in there).

James

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yeah, December 1980! That's one I would do! Find Chapman and have him arrested(for something-make something up!). If you went back to 1964, and told Berry Gordy about digital technology, perhaps it might have stopped him from putting so much treble on the Motown recordings! I love Motown, but honestly, one has to reduce treble considerable when playing those recordings, especially on CD.

11. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

I can remember looking through a selection of cut-out LPs and seeing multiple copies of Mono MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR and WILD HONEY for 99 cents each as well as Reprise Kinks albums (Mono and Stereo) for $1.99. That's probably one moment in time I'd like to re-live.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'd go to NYC in 1964 pick a bunch of Beatle albums and as many 59 strats and les pauls as the time machine would carry. I keep some and sell the rest and buy a house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.