Your Top 3 Moby Grape Studio Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I think the band won their suit against Katz for the rights to the band name and music but I think he kept rights to the artwork of the first album and Wow/Grape Jam so he could only cause problems for those releases.

2. Might have sold more if Columbia hadn't decided to issue 6 singles for the album all at the same time

beccabear67 and Dominick like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm re-listening to all the Moby Grape I bought up back in 2012 : http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/moby-grape-sundazed-cds.293867/ our Classifieds, plus Discogs, plus wherever I scored the new, sealed vinyl from back then.

I remember liking them enough to buy all that I did, but can't remember what is on each album, hence this refresher course.

4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I was very glad to get those LPs and CDs in stock immediately upon release before they quickly got pulled from Sundazed's wholesale/retail list. I wonder how many copies of each of those titles made it out into the wild?

5. Myke

Plenty, since my research tonight has brought up posts from 2013, where members here were still buying directly from Sundazed.

6. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Stone Roses.

7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The first album along with the 1993 "Vintage" 2CD anthology is more than enough for me. I have Wow/Grape Jam on CD, the SFS version which is edited a little to fit both albums on one disc. I have all the other Moby Grape LPs on vinyl including the Great Grape compilation but do not have Wow or Grape Jam on vinyl. I don't have 20 Granite Creek in either format. But the first album is what I like the best.

8. Myke

S/T was great. Will spin Wow tomorrow. Thanks OP. I see where I spent $338.00 6 years ago, on the 9 recordings I have. Good to get them out of the drawer, and back in the Oppo.
    :tiphat:

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's edited A LOT actually, and the editing is far more than what was necessary to fit onto one disc at the time the CD was released. The combined Wow and Grape Jam as originally released are only about 76 minutes long total. When the SFS CD came out in 1984, CDs could only be about 74 minutes long, but all they would have needed to do to hit that mark would be to omit "The Lake." But instead they omitted both "The Lake" and "Just Like Gene Autry." and then hacked about 17 minutes total off of the three jams. I would guess the jams were edited for Alan Douglas-style aesthetic reasons... perhaps they felt they were "improving" them by cutting them down. I'm not sure why they left off "Gene Autry." The release is a needle drop, so perhaps they didn't have a turntable that could play 78 rpm.

10. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

All of those SFS CDs are a complete disgrace.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. Matthew Katz is a disgrace and, from there, he did as much damage to Moby Grape as possible whether it be his awful sounding CD releases or threatening Sundazed with a lawsuit because he still owned the cover art for Moby Grape.

jamesmaya likes this.
  12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I have the hand-colored cassette of Legendary Grape. Got it at one of their reunion shows in Los Angeles. They were tuning up for the first song of the evening and Peter Lewis quipped “Looks like a Rickenbacker convention.” :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

Urban Spaceman and beccabear67 like this.
  13. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

WOW! That's awesome!!!! There must have been multiple print runs of that cassette because there's also a version of it that has "The Melvilles" as the artist rather than Legendary Grape. Regardless, that's a hell of a piece to have in your collection. Nice work!!

jamesmaya likes this.
  14. Myke

Boysenberry Jam

jamesmaya likes this.
  15. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

What I got that way back when - it was the first time I heard the song Big. I love that song.

16. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

1. Moby Grape
    2. 20 Granite Creek
    3. Wow

All their records have something great that makes them worth having. From Live Grape:

That Lost Horizon

rockinlazys likes this.
  17. Bruso

Bitter Wind in Tanganika

18. Bruso

Can’t Be So Bad

19. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Moby Grape
    Wow
    Moby Grape ‘69

“It’s a Beautiful Day Today” from the ‘69 album was a radio friendly record that should’ve done a lot better than it did, imho.

I’ve always been curious where the cover photo for Moby Grape ‘69 was shot. Somewhere along the Pacific Coast most likely but where exactly. Anyone know? They seem to be looking very intently at something out there, especially Don (far right). :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  20. Bruso

Apocalypse from 20 Granite Creek

21. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

For me the only Moby Grape is the 1st album.

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's really puzzling to me that there are people with this opinion. Particularly, it amazes me that people can really like the first album yet have no interest in Moby Grape 69, which is (to me) every bit as good).

Groundcat and peachyg72 like this.
  23. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

The good thing about the forum is everyone has the right to a opinion.
    You stick with yours and I will continue to stick with my 50+ yrs opinion.

24. Myke

As the final notes of the 18th track on Truly Fine Citizen fade off into the room, I'm pondering turning to their vinyl counterparts now.

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep, and I was not suggesting that you don't have a right to your opinion. I was just saying it puzzles me, because I really do not perceive a huge decline in quality after the first MG album, as you apparently do. To me your comment is equivalent to suggesting the only good Hendrix album is the first one, or saying you love Revolver but don't think the White Album is very good. But life would be boring if we all agreed about everything...

rockinlazys likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.