Your Top 3 Moby Grape Studio Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Good choice. Really like the S/T debut in mono. Nice bottom. The yoga pants of sound.

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

You have more than dipped your feet in Moby Grape, you really need 20 Granite Creek... :cool::agree::laugh:

3. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

I'm on the opposite side. I'll take the stereo mix of the first album any day. There is almost no difference at all between the stereo and mono mixes, and I think the songs benefit from the extra breathing room.

rockinlazys, Bill and Myke like this.
  4. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Just grabbed the 1987 UK release on Edsel. It was in mint condition so I couldn't resist. Flat and quiet vinyl and a nice sleeve with a bunch of info about the band.

I like the mono mix. I have a Columbia 2 eye in stereo that sounds a little more dynamic, but its not in great shape...tics and pops. The Edsel is a bit of a mixed bad regarding sq. Pretty decent bottom, but the highs can be a little harsh at times.

From what I've read, a Columbia 2 eye in mono would sound best, but I rarely see them, especially in good condition.

5. don faruolo

don faruolo Well-Known Member

Best 3 Grapes: The 1st, 69 and The Real Potato! 20 Granite Creek is very close behind. A great record!!

Bruso likes this.
  6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I got a OG mono several years ago for very reasonable money. It was listed as being in VG condition (which is probably why so few bid on it - actually, I may have been the only one). It turns out that it plays in VG++/EX (actually almost perfect with the mono button engaged).

Lucky me. :righton:

7. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

S/T, 69 & 20... listening to the latter CD now, which just arrived in the mail from Japan... most text in Japanese so no idea about remastering engineer etc.

8. haizea70

haizea70 Well-Known Member

It is curious that today playing the side 1 observe that last track donĀ“t start and thinking dust in mythe needle or a scuff...but no and remember that I read somewhere and in the label of my UK 02 WOW CBS S 6327 UK 1968 reads "Last track on Side 1 plays at 78rpm and
    Record finishes at end of previous track and you have to move the needle on to play the 78rpm track
    It was a hippie joke or what? somebody knows why this freak track...because in my turntable has 78rpm option and today have played and hear the ancient song.

have a nice day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.