Your Top 5 Alfred Hitchcock Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Impossible really.

1. Vertigo
    2. Psycho
    3. Rear Window
    4. North By Northwest
    5. The Birds

2. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

I would put it in my top 5. But many argue that it's more of a David O. Selznick movie than a Hitchcock.

3. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

5 North by Northwest
    4 Shadow of a Doubt
    3 Strangers on a Train
    2 Rear Window
    1 Vertigo

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Tough to list -- I like so many. I had to take an Alfred Hitchcock class in film school years ago, and we saw everything... silents, early soundies, obscure films, watched interviews, the big films, the little films, the hits, the bombs, everything. Trust me, a night of Under Capricorn, Stage Fright, and Young and Innocent is no fun.

But these are great:

Rear Window
    Vertigo
    Psycho
    North by Northwest

and one only one person has mentioned:

Spellbound, which I think is a very interesting film. I found it really haunting as a kid, especially the POV shots like the one where the boy accidentally knocks his brother off a step and gets impaled on a fence, or when Leo G. Carroll shoots himself (the camera) with the gun. Wild, bizarre film.

I personally can't stand Rebecca, because it's too long and too dull, but I'd concede it's a very well-made film. And I like certain scenes from the earlier films like 39 Steps, Man Who Knew Too Much (both of them), Saboteur, and so on. Heck, I even like the kid getting blown up in Sabotage -- that took guts. (And Hitchcock said he learned from the film's failure "never kill an innocent child like this in a film -- you'll lose the audience."

Hitchcock is so great, even his unsuccessful films are often more interesting than other director's hits.

5. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Glad to see Foreign Correspondent and Saboteur were mentioned. Two of my favorites although not usually mentioned in the same breath as blockbusters such as Psycho and North by Northwest.

6. progrocker71

I like Stage Fright, I think it's under-appreciated.

I also love The Lady Vanishes, The 39 Steps, Rebecca, Foreign Correspondent, Notorious, Spellbound, The Paradine Case, Strangers On A Train, Dial M For Murder, The Trouble With Harry, The Wrong Man and Frenzy.

7. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Vertigo
    North by Northwest
    Rear Window
    The Birds
    Rope

I haven't seen all of his films, but I've seen a fair few.

8. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Frenzy
    Psycho
    Rear Window
    The Birds
    Vertigo

9. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

The Birds
    Rear Window
    North by Northwest
    Vertigo
    Strangers On A Train

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

1. Rear Window
    2. North By Northwest
    3. The Birds
    4. Dial M For Murder
    5. The Lady Vanishes

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

1. Rebecca
    2. Notorious
    3. Strangers on a Train
    4. Rear Window
    5. Saboteur - it may not be his best but something about it I really like

12. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I agree about Under Capricorn and Stage Fright, but I think Young and Innocent is a pretty good movie. One of Hitches "wrong man movies" and a pretty strong effort in my opinion.

13. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I thought this was going to be easy, but it isn't.

1. North By Northwest
    2. Psycho
    3. Rear Window
    4. Saboteur
    5. Dial M For Murder -or- The Birds -or- Vertigo

Oh, wait... I didn't list To Catch a Thief...

14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Let's see...

1. Vertigo
    2. Rear Window
    3. North by Northwest
    4. The Birds
    5. Psycho

15. Vertigo
    North By Northwest
    To Catch a Thief - I think only one other post mentioned this; love this movie!
    Rear Window
    Notorious

16. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Depends on how you look at it. The looks and sex appeal run in the family ;)

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Today:

Strangers on a Train
    The 39 Steps
    Shadow of a Doubt
    North by Northwest
    Notorious

Could appear on the list if asked on another day:

Rear Window
    Vertigo
    The Lady Vanishes
    Spellbound
    Foreign Correspondent

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Are you sure you are remembering Young and Innocent correctly? That's one of the better pre-Hollywood films, IMHO. I would put The Paradine Case at the top (or is that bottom?) of my list of Hitchcock misfires.

19. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

Shocked and stunned that no one chose Lifeboat as a favorite. A terrific film!

20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

1. North by Northwest
    2. Vertigo
    3. Psycho
    4. Rear Window
    5. Saboteur or Rope

21. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Lady Vanishes
    The Man Who Knew Too Much (1930s version)
    The 39 Steps
    Shadow of a Doubt
    Strangers on a Train

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That is a good one! And personally, i dont like about everones number one pick, Vertigo. Ive tried to like it, watching it 2 or 3 times, but i just dont. Kim novak bugs me, the hazy shots and melodramic score bugs me and the plot in general is too contrived for me to like. The whole Carlotta Valdez bit is just lame. It reminds me of the godawful Marnie in some ways.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Vertigo is definitely an acquired taste. I don't think I liked or appreciated it the first couple of times I watched it as a kid, but I eventually understood the layers of the story going on, the dreamlike quality of the production, and the weird psychological twists going on. I love the sights and sounds of San Francisco, and even the convoluted doppleganger thing is very strange and striking to me. I buy into it.

No question, Chad, 1958 audiences would agree with you, and I know Hitchcock was frustrated that the film didn't do well in its original release. I think it's also one of the few Hitchcock films with a terribly downbeat ending; I was always convinced that Jimmy Stewart was seconds away from jumping off the bell tower. (At least, until I read the script that had the original unfilmed ending, which is a lot more optimistic.) And it's another movie -- like Spellbound -- that has some literally nightmarish elements, which I think makes it even more memorable, almost like remembering a dream you had years ago.

The Bernard Herrmann score for Vertigo is one of the highlights of his career; I think it's flawless. Marnie is definitely a weird movie, but at least the photography and score are good. The story and characters... not so much. But again, I think Marnie is a case where one of Hitch's mediocre films is more interesting than many directors' successes.

24. progrocker71

Marnie is an interesting film, haven't seen it for years but I remember it fondly.

It would be a much shorter list if I did Hitchcock films I don't like...there aren't many, because even in his lesser efforts there are always elements that capture my imagination.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Marnie is just interesting--yep, and that's the problem for me; it's not very good, except technically. He trots out all the normal tricks, which are always great fun to watch, especially the high heel falling at the beginning. But I lose interest with the wacky horseback riding sequence, the matte painting ending, and that line about feeding the fish always makes me shake my head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.