Your Top 5 Alfred Hitchcock Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

It would have been in my top ten for sure...

2. Poor Napoleon

Poor Napoleon Forum Resident

Glad to see love for Dial M For Murder. I thought I was the only one who rated it so highly.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Agreed. I like Tippie and the bank sequence but the film just doesn't do it for me and I get annoyed and turn it off before it's over.

I think I'd like Topaz more if we followed Roscoe Lee Browne's character around instead of everybody else. His brief sequence is the only part of the movie I find enjoyable.

Let's hear it for Torn Curtain! I like it!

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I've never seen it in 3D, but the 2D version is just fine by me. Sure there are a few "Dr. Tongue's 3D House of (fill-in-the-blank)" moments, but I just love Grace Kelly's performance in Dial M.

I often wish she'd pick up a fireplace tool and beat Ray Milland to death with it. He's such an awesome bad guy in this flick.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I guess I'll give it another shot sometime. My friend Marlene Noble worked on the big restoration many years back. I've never seen that work!

6. blessingx

blessingx New Member

Have others Hitchcock top five lists changed radically over time?

I used to be pretty dismissive of Vertigo, Rear Window, Psycho and The Lady Vanishes a decade ago. Now those are up there. Others like The Birds, North by Northwest and To Catch a Thief have gone the opposite direction.

And hey chadbang. Long time no see.

7. BradF

BradF Senior Member

Strangers on a Train
    Notorious
    Shadow of a Doubt
    Vertigo
    The Lady Vanishes

I don't mind saying I like the much maligned Topaz also; several great set pieces, lots of suspense. I prefer the theatrical cut with the suicide ending.

8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

North by Northwest
    Frenzy
    Psycho
    39 Steps
    Sabotage or Saboteur (whichever one has Desmond Tester with the bomb)

9. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

You're not alone. While I like it, it didn't make my top 5. Just a bit too slow, even though I do like many aspects of it (I like the score, the atmosphere, the San Fransisco shots, Jimmy & Kim). But overall it's just not my favorite. :shrug:

10. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Vertigo
    Shadow Of A Doubt
    Rear Window
    North By Northwest
    Psycho

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Shadow of a Doubt was another really great film. That one is really twisted; Joseph Cotten as the evil "Uncle Charlie" was never better. And the ongoing references to the "Merry Widow" waltz are strange and memorable.

12. blessingx

blessingx New Member

Is there any role Cotten didn't hit gold? Man, he's under-appreciated.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

One of my favorite actors. His FIRST film was CITIZEN KANE, heh. Off to a good start..

14. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

The Lady Vanishes
    The Saboteur
    Shadow of a Doubt
    Strangers on a Train
    39 Steps
    I Confess

Well top six.

15. kevinsinnott

Just watched Portrait of Jennie. Great film when you're discouraged as I was a few days ago.

16. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Okay, I got it down to 10 but am leaving out way too many. Even the lower tier films have many great merits.
    Vertigo-His best film in color.
    Notorious-His best in B&W.
    North by Northwest-Bond prototype no.1
    Foreign Correspondent-Bond prototype no.2
    Rear Window-Evil jewelry salesmen.
    Rope-eerily captivating.
    The 39 Steps-first true masterpiece.
    Psycho-such a wonderful perverted joke.
    Frenzy-another great joke but with a potato truck.
    The Man Who Knew Too Much-'56 version, my soft spot pick. Sad that the state of this film has been neglected. Despite a few flaws it really does obliterate the original '34 version.

17. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

It's an amazing restoration, especially if you remember the horribly washed out and "brightened" pan & scan version they showed on TV throughout the 80s.

I saw the restored version at the Cinerama in Seattle, it was an amazing experience to see Vertigo in that theater.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought they did a good job on the picture for Vertigo, but that stereo remix... :shake:

19. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really like both of those too. I've always like the scene in Foreign Correspondent where he knocks out the lights on the EL in HOTEL, then it shows the word HOT on McCrea's trail..across from EUROPE... hot on his trail across Europe? funny stuff.

20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Also I find vertigo to be an interesting film I admire but I dot really like watching it. I'll grab 10 other hitch films before that one

Love seeing the variety of films of his on people's lists. Waiting for one to put on the Parradine Case!

21. kevinsinnott

Vertigo's secret weapon is its score. It doesn't get better than Bernard Herrmann's music for this film.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree. I must have the score to Vertigo on about 12 different CDs -- I've listened to it at least 100 times, maybe more. That opening theme gets me every time, with the waves and waves of strings...

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine and I took a "San Francisco Vertigo Tour," where a guy took us around to various parts of the city, to all the main places shown in the film. We could only approach the place by the bridge where Jimmy Stewart jumped in the water to save Kim Novak, because it was blocked off after 9/11, but we got close enough to see it was not a place you'd want to be swimming in. Great sights, though, and a lot of the buildings still survive, more than 50 years after the movie was made.

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Mercury
    Phase Four
    Silva Screen
    Sony (Salonen)
    Milan (Bernstein)
    Varese (McNeely)
    Schifrin's

... I know only 7 versions.

24. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

1. Rope
    2. Rear Window
    3. North by Northwest
    4. The Birds
    5. 39 Steps(I have never seen a decent print of this film)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.