Your Top-Ten Christmas Specials from TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guppy270, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks very much for this, Fred! I never even knew this existed.

2. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Welllll..... I did kinda rule out made for TV movies in my original post, but hey, I'm not going to be a thread cop at this time of year, lol.

Besides, it's a great excuse for me to second your recommendation of the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol. I used to scandalize and tick off my friends and family by saying that I preferred it to the Alastair Sim movie. Thirty years later the two movies are actually probably tied for me now, but I do still love the Scott version.

It wasn't until I read Dickens' original story for myself as a teenager that I realized how many things are different in each movie...each movie version seems to either add their own bits or leave out some Dickens' bits, but what each one leaves out differs in each film. I think the Sim and Scott versions are the two best, by far...but "The Muppet Christmas Carol" actually holds its own and is quite well done. I do think there is a chance for one more brilliant film version, if done correctly.

applebonkerz likes this.
  3. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

1. A Charlie Brown Christmas
    1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    1 Santa Claus is Coming To Town
    1. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    2. Frosty the Snowman
    3. The Year Without a Santa Claus
    4. Pee Wee's Playhouse

Only seven TV specials for me (if allowed I'd include It's A Wonderful Life, Scrooged and A Christmas Story). Only my top four are must-see. The Year Without A Santa Claus makes it only because of the Miser brothers.

4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Remeber the CBS Christmas promos by R.O. Blechman?

Culpa, Dan C, Benno123 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Magoo rules!
    And the BluRay release from a few years ago is really marvelous. Great transfer, nice extras and a very informative booklet... If you like this show at all, grab the BluRay!

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

It was before my time but thanks to YouTube I discovered it several years ago. I LOVE it. :love: 'CBS Sunday Morning' has aired it a couple of times in recent years during their holiday show.

dan c

7. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Besides many of those listed, 'Mole's Christmas' and 'The Christmas Messenger'.

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

:biglaugh:

God, Dave was a bona fide genius once.

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Rudolph
    Chuck
    Grinch

Olive is cute too ,
    rewatched it this
    year